What's new

2002 1.8 vtec hesitation at low revs

markquinton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord Ex 2.0 i-vtec
Hi All

I've recently picked up a 1.8 vtec sport with 77k and fsh for a measly £725. It seems quite well looked after but I have a slight problem. When the engine is cold there is a huge flat spot when accelerating at low revs, the revs increase but there is virtually hardly any increase in speed until the revs pass a certain point. It seems to improve once the engine the engine is warm and the pull in 3rd and 4th seems good from 50mph plus. It might be my mind playing tricks on me but the engine also seems to buck slightly when coming off the throttle at low revs and slow speed driving.

I'm guessing it's either plugs, dizzy cap, leads or 02 sensor however I have also ready about checking the valve clearances.

Is there anything I should check before spending cash on diagnostics?

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark. Super buy on that Accord, I wish I found a Sport for that when I bought mine in the Norwich area! Anyway, have you looked at the plugs? Have you gotten an "Check Engine" light on? Also have you checked the air filter and made sure it's all fitting correctly? Sounds like you got a sound machine so hopefully it's a trivial fault.

Don't hesitate to show off your car by the way, i'm sure many here would love to see it (myself included)

Hi Mark,

That sounds like a beatifull price for your Accord! I would surely check:

- Spark plugs (clean and check the gap between the electrodes)
- Clean or install new air filter
- Check and or replace distribution cap and rotor
- Check and clean EGR Valve (can be done in 20 mins) and there is a how to in the DIY section

Could also be a slipping clutch, can you test the clutch? I don't know about the valve clearances, maybe someone with more experience can point this out...

Hi Guys,

Trivial problem... my alloys? Black, Carbon Dipped or any colour?

10325791_10152856377279829_8194763891042553468_n.jpg

Nut Wu, did you mean to post this here? It doesn't seem to have anything to do with this thread? Feel free to start a new thread to canvas opinions on your wheels.

Mark Quinton said:
Hi All

I've recently picked up a 1.8 vtec sport with 77k and fsh for a measly £725. It seems quite well looked after but I have a slight problem. When the engine is cold there is a huge flat spot when accelerating at low revs, the revs increase but there is virtually hardly any increase in speed until the revs pass a certain point. It seems to improve once the engine the engine is warm and the pull in 3rd and 4th seems good from 50mph plus. It might be my mind playing tricks on me but the engine also seems to buck slightly when coming off the throttle at low revs and slow speed driving.

I'm guessing it's either plugs, dizzy cap, leads or 02 sensor however I have also ready about checking the valve clearances.

Is there anything I should check before spending cash on diagnostics?

Regards

Mark
If this model still has it, sounds like a bad vtec oil pressure sensor.

sorry my bad it was meant for another thread, please ignore my comment

Hi Guys

Just to offer an update - I had a full service done and that included new plugs, leads and dizzy cap. But the hesistation is still there, on an incline the car is a flat as a pancake to drive and struggles somewhat. I have a feeling now that the problem could be the o2 sensors as I've found a few posts where people have described the same problem as me and it turned out to be them.

Question is, is it more likely to be the primary sensor that is the problem or do I need to change both?

Regards

Mark

I think that the first one is the one that is used to manage the engine.
My car, the same as yours, only has the front one, so that should be the one to replace.

Word of advice, don't go for generic sensors, go for Honda or NGK/NTK and stay away from Bosch. I bought a NGK/NTK a few years ago for mine, and the car did not complained, yet.