What's new

2004<>2006 I-CTDI EGR VALVE

ebod

Members
Reaction score
Car
I-CTDI SPUTNIK
Hi All,
I've just stripped off my intake to investigate a suspected jammed EGR and yep I've confirmed its jammed partially ( a few mm) open. It wasn't mega crusty inside, just a bit of surface soot.

It started fine but was idling lumpy and smoking, plus I've just run a fault code check and there's presently tons of them :-
P0403 EGR Circuit
P0098
P0113 intake air temp high
P0118 Engine coolant temp
P2017 IMRC position
P0108 Manifold pressure
P1401.
( I'm deducing many stem from the fact the EGR is open ).

Before I go hunting for a replacement, I do note that the EGR is made up of a cast body with a bottom plate and a top plate which the solenoid unit is on. I just wonder has anybody been successful in actually dismantling one ......or will the wise ones here just say "don't waste your time bud, bin it and drop a replacement in"

Some quick opinions please whilst I'm bookmarking some on ebay...

cheers

I've found a torx head and undone the bottom half : Note how the valve has skewed over slightly :

EGR_VALVE.jpg

The centre of the valve head does have some kind of hex socket inside. I'm trying to suss whether it dismantles from the top via the solenoid or the actual valve head unscrews from the stem.

Either way I'm doing this with one eye on an ebay replacement..

Did you see recently that there's a guy on Civinfo selling blanking plates for the i-CTDi EGR valve? You'll also need a minor map edit to prevent a DTC being registered when the MAF doesn't drop as expected, but apparently he has that covered by a tame tuning company. I know you're also a Civinfo member, so here's a link to the FS thread... http://www.civinfo.com/forum/items-sale/105096-egr-blanking-plates-sale.html (link may not work for non-members? :unsure:)

But good luck in cleaning up and fixing your existing valve in the first instance.

Definitely a lot of those DTCs aren't EGR-related, btw...
e.g. P0098 is another IAT problem... http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p0098.html

Although P1401 is EGR-related... http://www.micro-tronik.com/faultcodes/obdiifaultcode_p1401.html

Maybe clear off all stored DTCs and see which ones come back?

Civic has a vac operated EGR Jon, just watch out as i'm not sure the plate fitting is the same..

today..I have been mostly smashing up EGR valves :rolleyes:

Used one on order from Fleabay. I don't know what event caused it to go fubar, as it was fine before its 'barnfind' type storage.

Anyhows fingers & legs crossed SPUTNIK should be starting & idling like a good'un soon. I'm almost sorry to let her go after all this attention.
Its certainly tons more comfy than the Civic , but sadly I can't afford second car insurance :-(

Just to round up this post, I got a £75 quid used EGR off ebay and SPUTNIK is purring now , she starts up hot / cold within a fraction of a second.

The probs is that's since she's been stood for 3months, a few niggles have also crept in. The A/C seemed a bit lame ( and I know it was fully fit before it went in storage ), so I just hope it needs running a bit more to mix up those A/C juices.

But the biggie is the handbrake is very crusty. I've given it a blast up & down the lane a few times and can see all discs are clearing off the rusty surface, so at least the main pistons are moving. But the handbrake is rubbish, theres a few inches of slack before anything happens.

Does anyone know of any pictures / details of the handbrake ***embly so I know what I'm doing before getting the jack out.....

Nice work dude and great result. Give the car a little run first, sounds like the brake ***embly is a little seized. Maybe even strip the brakes down and clean the pads/carriers etc up