What's new

2004 Diesel Estate

mr impact

Reaction score
Car
Accord Estate Diesel
Hi guys, Im after some advice on a few problems with my 2004 Diesel Accord Estate.Ive had it just over 2 years now with no problems at all, and its now on 101,000 miles.

Firstly, I have a slight diesel leak. Its not the tank, its under the engine, and collecting in the plastic tray and dripping off onto the drive. Im not losing a massive ammount, as MPG is about the same as normal (anything between 30 & 48 depending on the journey), its just making a bit of a mess on the driveway! Any ideas where it could be coming from? Ive had a look and it seems like its the passenger side of the car, possibly near the back of the engine, and its spraying down the underside of the car. The drivers side looks fine. Could it be the diesel filter? Where abouts is it located?

I also have my VSA light on constantly. Its been like it for a month or so now and the car drives exactly the same, seems to handle well in the dry, and classic FWD understeer in the wet, but its exactly the same as it always was. Im not bothered about it as it drives the same, but would it be an MOT failure? The ABS light isnt on, just the VSA one, but Im not sure if MOT rules state that no warning lights should be on the dash or not.

Ive done around 30,000 miles in the car and these are the only issues Ive had with it (except some worn rear suspension bushes and 2 tyres, but you expect that on a 100k car). Ive changed the oil / filter at the 12,500mile intervals, and thats all it needed until now, so its a good car, just looking for help with these two problems.
Thanks.
Nick.

Sounds like the leak is coming from the fuel filter area. As for the VSA I'm sure there was a post somewhere saying its not an MOT failure but I could be wrong!

Welcome Nick

The fuel leak sounds to be coming from the fuel filter area. It's located at the rear of the engine to the right. You should be able to see it under the scuttle. Check that the pipes are fully on and you should see any wet patches. Have you had it changed recently?

The VSA light isn't good news. There is a common(ish) fault with the VSA module. Honda extended the warranty but only to around 50k which you're past. If you go to main dealer it'll cost big bucks so maybe try a company like BBA reman or ECUtest (I think it's called). You could also try a breakers for one off a car being broken. I think (but don't quote) that it will fail the MOT with the ABS light on.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Good advice there, can't add anything more at the moment.

Check the filter/pipes for a leak and get your diagnostic codes read to understand the problem. It may just be a sensor rather than the modulator unit.

Also I hope you've been using 0w/30 oil, and try changing the oil every 8k rather than 12.5k

Do let us know how you get on.

Cheers for the replies guys, my initial thought was fuel filter as its not been changed at all, certainly not since Ive had the car anyway. Yeah Ive used 0/30 fully synthetic oil, but used the 12.5K service intervals. I did find a 'how to' guide on here last night for the fuel filter so will definately give that a go, thanks. Doesnt look the easiest job in the world, but its not my only car so I can afford to take my time with it.

I also thought the light would be an MOT failure, but luckily it only came on about month after its last MOT so got a while to get that fixed.

The only other problem is occasionally the clutch slips under full throttle, but Ive done over 1000 miles since I noticed it and its no worse yet, but I have done 30,000 trouble free miles in it so Im pretty impressed with the car.

Thanks for the help, looks a good forum with plenty of good advice!