What's new

2004 ictdi timing chain problem

daniel9807

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.2i-cdti 2004
Hi guys,
A few weeks ago my car went pop and oil light came on. I immediately stoped and got the car towed home as suspected timing chain failure as the car wouldn't start up again.

Anyway as the fly wheel needed changing as well I decided to completely remove the engine and gear box to have a look at the problem. I have finally got down to the timing chain. Only the oil chain has snapped so Iv ordered a new oil chain at the cost of £58 from eurocarparts and also I have ordered a second hand oil pump at the cost of £45 guaranteed working.
So my question is
Is it worth changing all the tensioners and guides and timing chain as I have the car stripped down?

I know that it is a known problem for the timing chain to fail on the 2004 accord.. But is it the oil chain that normally fails or the timing chain.
Thanks
Daniel

It can be either - so 100% definitely worth changing a 10 year old timing chain while everything is off IMHO

It's a no brainer, do it.

Thanks guys I have purchased new chain kit. Should be here on Tuesday. By the end of next week should have engine back in car and up and running.

daniel9807 said:
Thanks guys I have purchased new chain kit.
What includes the kit and where did you get it ?
What the price is incl. VAT?
Do they sell separate all 9 items from the kit?

Hi just an update. So far I have spent just over £450 on both chains and still not completed. I have orders things separately. The oil pump chain from EBay at a cost of £68.
The timing chain from eurocarparts at a cost of £76
tensioners came from the stealers at a cost of £235
I am still yet to source a tensioner for the oil pump chain!
Does anyone know a part number for the oil chain tensioner as mine has shattered which caused the chain to snap? I have spent about 2 weeks looking for this part. I am trying to stay away from the stealers for this as I have been quoted £210.

Thanks

Hi daniel9807,
Sorry but I don't know what is "stealers" ?
I ***ume you already have access to timing chain parts (oil chain tensioner as mine has shattered which caused the chain to snap), so my question is:
If you remove old tensioners, is it possible to ***es if one is still good or gone (need to be changed)?
If is possible post pictures of all old removed parts please.

Stealers are the dealer (Honda). I will post pictures up soon. According to the Honda manual from Haynes. The tensioners are bad if they have more than 8mm of the tensioner exposed. Although on removal I have found that there is a lot more left in the tensioners.

daniel9807 said:
Stealers are the dealer (Honda). I will post pictures up soon. According to the Honda manual from Haynes. The tensioners are bad if they have more than 8mm of the tensioner exposed. Although on removal I have found that there is a lot more left in the tensioners.
According to the Honda manual from Haynes -I don't think Haynes manual exists, probably you mean ESM Service Manual.
more than 8mm of the tensioner exposed- Doesn't it tensioner plunger exposure criteria for chain stretching, (before remove it), not for bad tensioner? I've never seen it, just thinking...

JapCar said:
According to the Honda manual from Haynes -I don't think Haynes manual exists, probably you mean ESM Service Manual.
he might be using the engine section in a Haynes for the Civic 2.2 or the CR-V 2.2

JapCar said:
If you scroll further down in the ad, the seller says that they are for cars made to US specs. I couldn't see if they had the 2.2 engine, but I'm sure there must be at least one Haynes somewhere with the 2.2 engine.
But the point is, if you only want info on the engine itself, even a Haynes for cars made to US specs will tell you what you need to know.

daniel9807 said:
Hi just an update. So far I have spent just over £450 on both chains and still not completed. I have orders things separately. The oil pump chain from EBay at a cost of £68.
The timing chain from eurocarparts at a cost of £76
tensioners came from the stealers at a cost of £235
I am still yet to source a tensioner for the oil pump chain!
Does anyone know a part number for the oil chain tensioner as mine has shattered which caused the chain to snap? I have spent about 2 weeks looking for this part. I am trying to stay away from the stealers for this as I have been quoted £210.

Thanks
I believe the part number for the oil chain tensioner is 13450-RBD-E01. My local dealer quoted £160.54 inc VAT.