What's new

2004 K20A6 (2.0l auto) high pressure power steering hose replacement

JVM33

Reaction score
Car
2004 AccordTourer2.0
Hello Hive,

I was wondering if anyone out there has had experience changing the high pressure hose on a 2.0 litre accord. It looks like there is quite a bit of room behind the engine to access things. My hose is starting to leak around the clamps and also the rubber is becoming porous and squirting fluid up onto the underside of the bonnet. I have duct taped it as a temporary fix as I drive only a few times a month but don't expect that solution to last very long at all. Looking at the lowest points on the hose near the rack behind the engine it would seem there are in fact two hoses going through a rubber mount. I ***ume the lower one goes off to a cooler in front of the engine. I was wondering if both need removal to undo the high pressure hose from this mount. I was also wondering if the solid metal part of the hose can be fed through what seems to be an aluminium part which goes to the engine mount or if this aluminium part needs to be loosened (and perhaps subframe dropped) in order to free the hose. What I'm really after here is whether this is a fairly straightforward job or if it is fairly involved with lots of nuts and hoses to undo. I would appreciate any feedback from people who have done this. If so, any aftermarket hoses to recommend as I don't wish to be skinned by Honda. Also, how much fluid needs to be bought from Honda to re-fill the system after replacing the hose? Is it a good idea to replace the pump at the same time (if so, any recommendations on aftermarket brands)?

Thanks,
Johann

I found this video (
) which seems to show that it can be done without having to remove or loosen the rear engine mount. I have ordered a hose and will update once it's done. I'm not going to do the pump however. It seems the attachment I was worried about behind the engine comes apart meaning that it is unnecessary to remove the other pipe.

Also found this one which gives a better look at some of the brackets (although the person in the video is a bit of an idiot)

I just realized that I never gave an update...I attempted removing the hose myself but couldn't manage to undo one bolt. The one down low on the steering rack. It is surrounded by brake lines and I couldn't get a good grip on it with the tools I had. I ended up taking it to a shop with the parts and they were able to do it in under an hour. They didn't replace the PS fluid which I have left for another day, even though I have the fluid which I purchased from the Honda Dealer. One thing I noticed after getting home to check out the work and see if there were any leaks was the bracket which holds the metal piping part of the hose behind the engine on top of the steering rack had simply been discarded by the mechanic. I hope that isn't important in preventing future problems. That is one of the reasons I prefer doing work myself . Mechanics seem to be doing all they can to reduce time spent and I guess that was one screw too many.

That is one of the reasons I prefer doing work myself . Mechanics seem to be doing all they can to reduce time spent and I guess that was one screw too many.
This is precisely why i gave up on mechanics,invested in tools and equipment and now tackle everything im physically able to these days.Hopefully your pipe holds out? Doesn't fill you with confidence though does it!

I just keep thinking to myself. Honda must have put that bracket there for a reason. Why don’t mechanics care enough to put things like that back. I’m a loyal customer there although I mostly use them as a self-garage.

I just keep thinking to myself. Honda must have put that bracket there for a reason. Why don’t mechanics care enough to put things like that back. I’m a loyal customer there although I mostly use them as a self-garage.

I had a similar quandary with the earthing connection to the battery (apart from possible electrolysis), in the end I just removed it.