What's new

2008 Tourer advice

Carl H

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord EX i-CTDi
Apologies in advance as I know this has probably been asked before...

I've seen a 2008 Tourer with 64k on the clock and full Honda service history (8 stamps in book), and I'm seriously considering part-exing my 7th gen for it.

What should I look for when checking it out?

That the boot is as big as you're expecting. It's not half as useful as the 7th Gen Tourer, but I knew that before I bought, and haven't regretted it.

Do a search on rusty sun roofs, windscreen trims and knackered DPFs (if it's a diesel). Don't let the DPF thing put you off, but you need to steel yourself for possible removal or replacement during the lifetime of the car. The tyres on mine seem to be a relatively uncommon size ( 225/50/R17 98V ) were a bit more expensive than I'd hoped but the Goodyears are wearing well and they're not something you buy every week.

As Matt says, also the spot lamps may cracked or broken, lots of chipped paint on front bumper (very soft) but for all that there is no comparison, having had a 7 tourer for 9 years thought that nothing could beat it I WAS WRONG, MY 8 DIESEL AUTO tourer is a joy to drive. Also agree with tyre wear they are very light on their feet,

Hi.

Check for sticking rear callipers especially the near side for some reason! mine has twice in nine months now onto a new calliper.

John

Okay, thanks for that.

Whatever size the boot, it's bound to be more practical than my 7th gen saloon.

What's "the DPF thing" and how do I check for a knackered one?

The main advice when I bought my 7th gen was to check the clutch. Is that still an issue or have Honda sorted it for the 8th gen?

DPF=diesel particulate filter. Can cost upward of £1200 from Honda, no easy way to check - just look on the instrument panel for error light. A user regen may work for a while followed if the light comes back on by a forced regen at Honda. Use a good 0w 30 (I use Castrol Edge) engine oil to help the DPF.

Cant help with the clutch.

Thanks - that article mentions software updates. The car I'm going to look at is a 2008 model (so one of the first 8th gens). As it has full Honda service history, will any software updates have been applied as part of the services?

Please don't link content to other forums.

None of the Honda software updates work in solving the DPF issues.

If you're buying one of these cars, budget for a removal or replacement.

Simple.

Carl H said:
I've seen a 2008 Tourer with 64k on the clock and full Honda service history (8 stamps in book), and I'm seriously considering part-exing my 7th gen for it.

What should I look for when checking it out?
With those miles and history, it looked good on paper, and with blue/purple pearlescent paint it looked stunning, but it turned out it was a dog. All kinds of alarm bells went off so I walked away.