What's new

2008 Type S Woes :(

ShadyMarkus

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Type-S
Hey Everyone,

I'm getting lots of things starting to niggle the crap out of me which is slowly making me fall out of love with my Type S. Can anyone make any suggestions at all for any of these at all:

1) Centre console build quality is the worse I've had in a car. 2 of the 3 flappy doors won't stay closed (cup holder and ash tray, lighter is ok). For clarity I'm talking about this (not my photo): http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/8834-gear-lever-surround-cup-holder-removal/ - Anyone know a fix or where I can buy a replacement centre piece? Ebay turned up this which may be an option: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-ACCORD-2008-2012-CENTRE-CONSOLE-AND-ARMREST-BLACK-LEATHER-/400903274717?fits=Car+Make%3AHonda%7CModel%3AAccord%7CPlat_Gen%3AMK+VIII&hash=item5d57b280dd:g:facAAOSwBahVLlxC

2) Driver's seat bolster (on the base, not the back) nearest the door has completely collapsed and has little shape. Leather is now all wrinkly and loose and to be honest ruins the look of the otherwise great interior.

3) Bulb has gone on the passengers climate control temperature rocker switch so now you can't see it in the dark. Had a quote from a garage for £100 to replace the bulb :O

4) Bonnet doesn't seem secure. I swear I can see it moving about in the wind when driving sometimes. It's definitely closed properly and locked down in place but you can see it moving up and down slightly while driving.

Thanks in advance folks and sorry for the whine. It's just really frustrating when you buy a car for it's reliability but so far it has more build quality issues than the Merc I sold it for :( Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Hi there!
Looks like everything you could fix with DIY, patience and little skills and basic tools. You will definitely need a set of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trim-Removal-Tool-Pry-Panel-Dash-Radio-Door-Body-Clip-Installer-Kit-4Pcs-/172129924212?hash=item2813be3474:g:cGIAAOSwAuNW4piw

1) I have a 2003 Type-S where the centre compartment box flip is broken you have to use force to open it. Maybe I could disassemble it and try to fix it but looked easier to find another one used. What I done I put it in eBay search: " Honda Accord Type-S breaking" and contact with the breakers what parts you are looking for. Note: you will be more efficient with phone calls then eBay messages. You will need the above pry tools.

2) Refer to solution above in 1)

3) You will need the above pry tools again to take out the console, locate the bulb, take measurements and order it. Probably will look like these:
https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.net/images/uploads/cust_RFNDTjE4MzcuSlBHMTM4MDA3NzcxMA1.jpg
From the back,look for these, this is how they look screwed in the panel:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/g377h3l3d0u7/DSCN0972.jpg

4) Sounds very interesting. I would definitely examine the lock mechanism, sounds like something went loose. Might be only a screw or nut what you can just tighten but if it's broken just try to contact the breakers again.

I don't believe the problem is with the car but rather the prior owner. Not everyone treats their car what they would deserve.
Good luck and my best advice is: PATIENCE :)

grindr12 said:
Hi there!
Looks like everything you could fix with DIY, patience and little skills and basic tools. You will definitely need a set of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Trim-Removal-Tool-Pry-Panel-Dash-Radio-Door-Body-Clip-Installer-Kit-4Pcs-/172129924212?hash=item2813be3474:g:cGIAAOSwAuNW4piw

1) I have a 2003 Type-S where the centre compartment box flip is broken you have to use force to open it. Maybe I could disassemble it and try to fix it but looked easier to find another one used. What I done I put it in eBay search: " Honda Accord Type-S breaking" and contact with the breakers what parts you are looking for. Note: you will be more efficient with phone calls then eBay messages. You will need the above pry tools.

2) Refer to solution above in 1)

3) You will need the above pry tools again to take out the console, locate the bulb, take measurements and order it. Probably will look like these:
https://d114hh0cykhyb0.cloudfront.net/images/uploads/cust_RFNDTjE4MzcuSlBHMTM4MDA3NzcxMA1.jpg
From the back,look for these, this is how they look screwed in the panel:
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/g377h3l3d0u7/DSCN0972.jpg

4) Sounds very interesting. I would definitely examine the lock mechanism, sounds like something went loose. Might be only a screw or nut what you can just tighten but if it's broken just try to contact the breakers again.

I don't believe the problem is with the car but rather the prior owner. Not everyone treats their car what they would deserve.
Good luck and my best advice is: PATIENCE :)

Hi grindr12. Sorry for the huge delay in replying. I've been out of the country for a bit and as such not online much. That being said, I've read through your post and have ordered the kit from ebay you linked to. Should be arriving in the next few days so thanks for that :)

To update on my questions:

1) I've not found many breaking type s's.....many as in zero. My google skills are seemingly weak and Ebay isn't bring up a huge selection. Do you or anyone else reading this have any details of scrapyards worth calling?

2) I know seat foam can be replaced and seats refurbished as seen in "Wheeler Dealers" :D However everyone I've contacted say they only do the leather refurbs, not the foam too :( May have to get in touch with old Ed China himself :)

3) Thanks for the links. Very helpful. I'll have to do some digging on youtube to find out where to poke my new tools when they arrive.

4) I seem to remember this being a known issue as I was reading threads on here when thinking of buying one. I swear I read something about a rubber grommet however I've never been able to find it again since........anyone else shed any light?

You may well be right about the previous owner as there are a few scratches on the plastic and gear knob on the inside but nothing drastic. The outside is immaculate. Looks like wedding ring damage or similar more than anything though. That being said, my ash tray used to work fine as I always store my locking wheel nut key in there. Took it to a garage earlier this year for new tyres and had the wife pick it up before we embarked on a 3000 mile trip around Europe. It was only about a week into the trip that I realised it too was now not working properly as it was jammed closed. You had to press the back of it to open it as pressing the front is now solid :( Too much time had passed for me to blame the garage through and alas it's now my problem to fix :(

Center Console Panel Removal/Installation

NOTE:
  • Put on gloves to protect your hands.
  • Take care not to scratch the front seat, the dashboard, and the related parts.
  • When removing components, use the trim tools or equivalent.
  • LHD model is shown; RHD model is symmetrical.

1. M/T model except Type-S: Lower the shift lever boot (A) to release the hooks (B) from the boot, then remove the shift knob (C).

A
B
C

1. M/T model Type-S: Lower the shift lever boot (A) to release the hooks (B) from the spacer (C). Using a 17 mm wrench, loosen the spacer, then remove the shift knob (D) and the spacer.

A
B
C
D
B
C
A

1. Remove the center console panel (A).

Open the ashtray lid (B) and the cigarette lighter lid (C).

Gently pull the front edge of the panel up by hand to make a gap, and pry the panel with the appropriate trim tool to detach the front clips (D, E).

With the appropriate trim tool, hook the edge of the panel beside the parking brake lever up to detach the clip (F).

Pull the panel up to detach the clips (G) along the edge of the panel.

With seat heater: Disconnect the driver's seat heater switch connector (H) and the front passenger's seat heater switch connector (I).

Fastener Locations
: Clip, 2
D
: Clip, 7
E, F, G
A
B
C
D
E
G
H
E
D
G
G
G
F
I

1. Remove the screws (A, B), then separate the front panel (C), the rear panel (D), and the beverage holder (E).

1. M/T model: Remove the screws (F), then remove the shift lever boot (G).

M/T model

Fastener Locations
: Screw, 3
A
: Screw, 7
B, F
A
B
C
D
E
G
A
A
B
B
F
F
F
F

A/T model

Fastener Locations
A
B
A
B
A
A
B
B
C
D
E

1. Install the console panel in the reverse order of removal, and note these items:

-

Turn the spacer (A) until spacer contacts with shaft (B).

-

Turn the shift knob (C) until shift knob contacts with spacer.

-

Tighten the spacer when the shift pattern turn to front of vehicle, by turning back knob (amount of turning back: 360 ° MAX).
    • Make sure each connector is plugged in properly.
    • If the clips are damaged or stress-whitened, replace them with new ones.
    • Push the clips and the hook into place securely.
    • Type-S: Install the shift knob in numbered sequence.
  2. Will this help, sorry no pictures.

Front
SPACER
By hand,
thread the
locknut down.
(1)
SHIFT KNOB
By hand,
thread the
shift knob on
the shaft.