What's new

2009 2.2 iDTEC - Engine cutting out at 2700 RPM

velocejohn

Reaction score
Car
Honda i-DTEC Tourer
I am looking for any suggestions to solve a fault I have with my Accord Tourer 2.2 EX. A few months ago, it started to exhibit an occasional fault where the engine would rev to 2700 rpm and then temporarily cut out for a fraction of a second then resume at a slightly lower RPM. If the accelerator pedal is kept depressed, this fault cycles, but generally doesn’t produce an engine fault warning light.

The car starts instantly as it always has, has good power, performance and fuel economy up to approximately 2700 RPM. I have driven the car fairly long distances (200miles+) without issue if the 2700 rev ‘limit’ is observed.

If the revs are allowed to increase very slowly the fault will occur slightly above 2700 RPM and the engine management fault light illuminates giving a P0039 fault (Crankshaft Position Sensor Intermittent Interruption) is displayed. If moderate acceleration is used the fault occurs at 2700 and no fault is displayed. If the accelerator is ‘floored’ the fault can occur at a slightly lower RPM, but again no fault light is displayed and no fault logged.

Thinking that the P0039 error may be a faulty crankshaft sensor (CKS), this was replaced, but did not solve the problem.

The car was taken to a main Honda dealer who could not diagnose the fault, but undertook a ‘data capture’ and sent it to Honda UK who could not suggest a remedy, but suggested possible ECM or injector faults.
The mileage is currently 190k, but was remapped at 100k. Recently the ECM was reverted back to a standard map with no change in the symptom.

I have had the timing chain and tensioners checked and these are fine. I have also looked at the earth continuity between the engine and chassis and this is also OK.
The next step will be to check teeth measured by the CKS to see if there are any chips or teeth missing, but I would have thought this would affect running at lower RPMs.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Was the EGR blanked with the remap? From what I have picked up on TA, next suspect would be fuel filter.

I’ve checked this car over actually, ecu is fine and egr closed. The issue is actually something to do with the crank signal. As the crank sensor has been done I would suggest next thing to check is the toothed ring side and the flywheel itself..

First time I’ve ever seen this on a Honda so interested to see what the resolution is.

A few thousand miles on and I'm no closer to identifying the problem. A few more observations though:

Accelerating hard in low gears, (revs rising rapidly) the engine will briefly cut out at about 2500 RPM, but no malfunction indicator light.

Accelerating hard in 5th gear, the engine will briefly cut out at about 3100 RPM, and a MIL is displayed, with corresponding reduction in power. However, with the MIL on, the engine will rev to the red line without hesitation! Stopping and restarting the engine will reset the ECU and the normal 2700 RPM issue returns.

Very occasionally, if running in a high gear and accelerating, there will be a loss of power, but fairly gradual, no warning lights at all (no alternator or oil light as the engine is still rotating at speed), but the fuel supply has cut off; no MIL displayed. Dipping the clutch, the engine stops and the oil and alternator light illuminate. The engine will immediately restart on the key.

Still remains reliable, apart from the described fault, having just completed a trip from North Yorkshire to Cornwall and back; just over 800 miles.

Starting to suspect an ECU fault...