What's new

2nd new battery. Xcarlink?

theballboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
06 accord cdti
Wondering if anyone has had any battery drainage issues with an xcarlink or other iPod/iPhone cd changer port accessory. Shortly after installation in around may this year I left car for 2 nights in a friends house and it woklxnt start. Jump leads no good so car towed and told battery done and new one required. Just few months later, noticed some turning over issues if car left for hours. But then again, after lying for day or 2 woklxnt turn over. Same mechanic said it was battery again. He tested it and it was dead. Just a bad batt he said. (batt guarantee covered it do no big deal). Asked him to check alternator was doing it'd job properly and he said hd tested it and it was charging at 100%. So ofv with a new batt again. However 3 weeks later. Car left for couple days and new Batt dead again. What's going on? Jump leads started it so batt def working. I going on the ***umption that something is draining it. What could it be? Any thoughts? I can only imagine the x car link since that's when trouble started. It charges phone but when car switched off and phone attached it states"charging not supported " and doesn't charge suggesting power cut off. I'm confused. Help. Fed up having dead batts

First thing to do, is remove the Xcarlink and see if problem persists.

There has been a recent thread, where someone has had the HFT unit pointed out to be the culprit by a Honda dealer, see this thread

HFT a bit of a mystery problem

It's worth keeping an eye on it to see what develops, but as you say if it has only started happening since installing the Xcarlink, then that is the first port of call.

Someone else has had similar problems recently, though Xcarlink wasn't in the frame.

THIS might give you a few avenues of inquiry?

oh, and less recently I remember THIS one too.

First thing to do, is remove the Xcarlink and see if problem persists.

There has been a recent thread, where someone has had the HFT unit pointed out to be the culprit by a Honda dealer, see this thread

HFT a bit of a mystery problem

It's worth keeping an eye on it to see what develops, but as you say if it has only started happening since installing the Xcarlink, then that is the first port of call.

well funnily enough my HFT just suddenly stopped working a short while after installing xcar link. I wondered if it had something to do with playing music through stereo speakers and then the hft calling for the phonecall to start operating through speakers and there was a break down because it was then having to act as 1- a cd changer (as the xcarlink tricks the head unit into thinking it is a cd changer) 2 - a handsfree speaker phone at the same time-
Having said this I wonder if it is the culprit - will have tgo investigate -

Might mean a trip to Honda (things have gotten worse)
Youd think it would be a simple case of removing the xcarlink but I decided to remove the xcarlink last night but in haste (due to being stranded again and pouring weather ) didnt go through the proper removing trim etc and detaching the iso block; just tugged on the wire leading to the cd changer port and block of xcarlink and it ripped wires out of the block (some severed and are still in there) and now have lost all the digital display of stereo / climate control / time etc.

Will have to remove all trim today and the connecting block / check fuses etc.

THanks both of you however for your help to date- will read up on this

Any idea if my remap could have any bearing on this problem of battery drain?

awww mate, what have you done. First of all chill out. You are going to need to remove the headunit and try to sort the wires out you have yanked out. Grab a cup of tea relax and then pull it out of the car and attempt to sort the wiring. A remap will have absolutely no effect on your battery and even if the XcarLink was draining power it would be so small it wouldn't kill the battery (unlikely anyway).

You need to take the car to an auto electrician. Don't take the car to Honda because they will just plug the car in to diagnostics and if it comes up blank will start scratching heads and charging you a lot of money to trace the fault. Go to a auto electrician who deal with random electrical faults all the time.

I could list a thousand potential culprits but i would be wasting your time and money. This is the sort of situation that needs the problem identifying properly to save you time and money in the long run.

BUT, First make sure you actually have the correct battery for the car and check the alternator is doing its job properly again. These modern cars need a hell of a lot of power just to turn over. The amount of times i have seen threads where people can't start there car and rule out the battery because the radio and lights work is unbelievable. Just because the car does not start does not mean its a catastrophic failure. If the Battery is incorrect it won't take long for it to die.

thanks for the reply. should be no wires to sort out. the ones that ripped were the xcarlink ones which ripped just short of the connector block that attached to headunit. Opened it up today and removed the connector (with ripped ends) which was still attached to cd changer port. Think its prob gonna be a new head unit (2nd hand anyway) Have disconnected the HFT (which wasnt working and might be the culprit)

Its not the original Honda battery but guaranteed (has been replaced once under warranty and should be replaced again if it goes)

thanks for the reply. should be no wires to sort out. the ones that ripped were the xcarlink ones which ripped just short of the connector block that attached to headunit. Opened it up today and removed the connector (with ripped ends) which was still attached to cd changer port. Think its prob gonna be a new head unit (2nd hand anyway) Have disconnected the HFT (which wasnt working and might be the culprit)

Its not the original Honda battery but guaranteed (has been replaced once under warranty and should be replaced again if it goes)

your headunit should not be screwed. I would imagine the fuse would blow if anything shorted. you simply tugged on the wires its not like you beat it to death with a baseball bat. I wouldn't give up so soon. and even second hand a headunit will be the wrong end of £100. and pretty scarce being as your car is a facelift.

is the battery the correct amp for the Honda.?????

Also ring Honda and ask them about an ECU update (has your car had it). There has been an issue with the oil sensor that has lead to flat battery's.

Oh man, just catching up with this thread - what a bummer :(

your headunit should not be screwed. I would imagine the fuse would blow if anything shorted. you simply tugged on the wires its not like you beat it to death with a baseball bat. I wouldn't give up so soon. and even second hand a headunit will be the wrong end of £100. and pretty scarce being as your car is a facelift.

is the battery the correct amp for the Honda.?????

Also ring Honda and ask them about an ECU update (has your car had it). There has been an issue with the oil sensor that has lead to flat battery's.

only wires i tugged on was the xcarlink ones - nothing else so shouldnt have anything to do with headunit

Not sure about the battery then. What is the correct ampage. Have bought a multimeter to do some testing

ECU update? Just phone local HOnda and they can check for me?

I doubt its an ECU update guys, never heard of this. You need a battery leak test really. Have you fitted any cheap LED's to the car anywhere? Are you sure for example that your boot light is going out when you close it? Could be something simple.

only wires i tugged on was the xcarlink ones - nothing else so shouldnt have anything to do with headunit

Not sure about the battery then. What is the correct ampage. Have bought a multimeter to do some testing

ECU update? Just phone local HOnda and they can check for me?

Mate if the headunit worked before you tugged the cables you must have damaged something on the back of the headunit. It would be the mother of all coincidences otherwise.

Yes on some cars suffering persistent flat batteries Honda have carried out a ECU update to stop the oil pressure sensor being permanently on. You need to find out exactly what battery has been put in your car as they are all different capacities etc.

I doubt its an ECU update guys, never heard of this. You need a battery leak test really. Have you fitted any cheap LED's to the car anywhere? Are you sure for example that your boot light is going out when you close it? Could be something simple.

no cheap leds. Only difference initally was xcarlink - few weeks later HFT gave up (thought it was faulting due to dual role of phone using cd changer port playing through speakers and also being called for use as hands free) after this one day battery dead. since replacement always noticed what felt like a struggle to deliver power to turn car over if left for 6-8 hours or so. Then again after 1-2 days sitting battery failed again- replaced only few weeks ago but wouldn't start after lying for few days - (so pulled xcarlink which nipped leaving connector block in cd changer port and no display on radio lcd and have removed connector block now. Am going to rewire and reinstall) disconnected HFT today as looked into it being the source of current draw

Sorry boring you going over old ground here but dont know what to do now. SOme investigation with a multimeter to check for leakage I imiagine (with HFT connected / disconnected & xcarlink connected / disconnected) Have checked nothing else left on except boot light so will try that next.

NIGHTMARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate if the headunit worked before you tugged the cables you must have damaged something on the back of the headunit. It would be the mother of all coincidences otherwise.

Yes on some cars suffering persistent flat batteries Honda have carried out a ECU update to stop the oil pressure sensor being permanently on. You need to find out exactly what battery has been put in your car as they are all different capacities etc.

I will check but cant understand how. cd changer port is on underbelly and good see where I was pulling the xcarlink connector but its a big conincidence all right. But might just be battery again
thought it was straightforward really - mechanic says battery dead - checks specs - replaces -

But like everything these days, ye end up having to recheck and sort etc etc. (sorry just giving off now)

Where can I find the correct specs for what battery should go in ie ampage etc so I can check against the one thats installed

ECU update is unlikely in this case but does exist. The only thing i can find that relates to it online is on the Civic forum which basically shares the same engine as the Accord. http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/2993-2-2-cdti-ex-recurring-flat-battery-14.html

Personally i think the car probably has the wrong battery installed. I ***ume the original battery was fine then came to the end of its natural life and then the problems have persisted since the installation of the new battery.

The battery needs to be 77Ah.

I will check but cant understand how. cd changer port is on underbelly and good see where I was pulling the xcarlink connector but its a big conincidence all right. But might just be battery again
thought it was straightforward really - mechanic says battery dead - checks specs - replaces -

But like everything these days, ye end up having to recheck and sort etc etc. (sorry just giving off now)

Where can I find the correct specs for what battery should go in ie ampage etc so I can check against the one thats installed

http://www.allbatteries.co.uk/car-battery/honda-accord/2-2l-i-ctdi-0203.html

ECU update is unlikely in this case but does exist. The only thing i can find that relates to it online is on the Civic forum which basically shares the same engine as the Accord. http://www.civinfo.com/forum/bugs-faults-irritations/2993-2-2-cdti-ex-recurring-flat-battery-14.html

Personally i think the car probably has the wrong battery installed. I ***ume the original battery was fine then came to the end of its natural life and then the problems have persisted since the installation of the new battery.

The battery needs to be 77Ah.

Im thinking you might be right with battery- just hoped mechanic would sort -
only info on the battery I have is part no - 096 vp - then cca sae 620 - does the 620 mean 62 ah do you think??
A google search for 096vp came up with
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19157

Ill be going back to him with batt if I do find out its the wrong ah

Im thinking you might be right with battery- just hoped mechanic would sort -
only info on the battery I have is part no - 096 vp - then cca sae 620 - does the 620 mean 62 ah do you think??
A google search for 096vp came up with
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=19157

Ill be going back to him with batt if I do find out its the wrong ah

CCA: Cold Cranking Amps !!! (Power Available - This is the important bit)

The amps should be written on the battery. Ah:

CCA: Cold Cranking Amps !!! (Power Available - This is the important bit)

The amps should be written on the battery. Ah:

Only info I can get without removing the battery is that it is a 'Prestige platinum' battery
A quick google search of this along with 096 shows batts with an ah of 72 -
I can only deduce that since it states cca sae 620 - that its 62 in the cold cranking you speak of. Will be visiting mechanic this eve to sort this

Raging now that Ive broke my xcarlink over this

Neil, I can see your logic mate but the Civic and Accord engines are quite different in their software and some of the hardware. Not all the issues are shared across both platforms. Also Civic engine is built in Europe, Accord in Japan ;)

Neil, I can see your logic mate but the Civic and Accord engines are quite different in their software and some of the hardware. Not all the issues are shared across both platforms. Also Civic engine is built in Europe, Accord in Japan ;)

i stand corrected.

Hey no offence mate ;)

sorry to hear the trouble your having. It can be a number of things as suggested but I very much doubt the xcarlink will be the cause. Let us know how you get on.

Sorry to hear your having these problems bud,im having just the same nightmare,so much so im thinking of stripping my car off all the leds and stuff and going stock,with mine iv gt a feeling it might be the blue leds iv got put in(who knows)but im sick and tired of having to jump start every 6days...

Just noticed the interior light wasn't workjng this eve so checked out fuse for that and yes it was blown. So replaced and audio display etc working again. Multimeter arrived today to do some testing but still believe mechanic but wrong batt in. Too low ampage. -72 instead of 77ah