What's new

3rd gear occasionally baulking

earlofsodbury

Members
Reaction score
Car
Gen7 i-CDTi Tourer
This may not be a diesel-specific problem, but my car is a '55 plate Tourer Sport i-CTDi, so...

I have a rather sporadic but fairly frequent and persistent problem with 3rd gear baulking - i.e. being a little more difficult to engage than other gears at similar engine speeds, it has grated once or twice when I've been a little too careless. :( The car is new to me, and had a new clutch about 800 miles ago.

Is this issue perhaps related to clutch bedding-in, or is synchro or something else suspect?

Thanks, Paul

I would try changing the gearbox oil with some fresh Honda MTF3 (2.2 litres in that box).. That is likely to cure it. But it may be related to the clutch..try the fluid first though.

HH

Your local Honda dealer or try our affiliated dealer in Stoke (Holdcroft Honda). Don't forget to PM one of the team for a discount code. ONLY use Honda MTF3 in this box by the way.

Had the same problem with mine. When I got the 75k service at a honda dealer, they changed the gearbox oil and it was far worse afterwards. I think they used castrol gearbox oil. Got it changed again this time by my local mechanic using the honda gearbox oil and has been fine ever since. Still does it occassionally (but only slightly) if the car is cold but its definately a lot better.

This may not be a diesel-specific problem, but my car is a '55 plate Tourer Sport i-CTDi, so...

I have a rather sporadic but fairly frequent and persistent problem with 3rd gear baulking - i.e. being a little more difficult to engage than other gears at similar engine speeds, it has grated once or twice when I've been a little too careless. :( The car is new to me, and had a new clutch about 800 miles ago.

Is this issue perhaps related to clutch bedding-in, or is synchro or something else suspect?

Thanks, Paul
Paul you said the clutch was changed 800 miles ago don't they change the gearbox oil as standard practice.
Or am i thinking of something else.

yip, you can't do a clutch change without draining gearbox...have you tried replacing the clutch fluid?

The only issue is that there is no guarantee they used new oil in it.

The only issue is that there is no guarantee they used new oil in it.
Yep true Fahad i see your point and also what grade if it was changed.

My slight concern is that the clutch work was commissioned and perhaps undertaken by the (non-Honda) dealer I bought the car from, hence my concern that something may be amiss/bodged. There's certainly every possibility that some sort of suboptimal transmission fluid was used... :unsure: It's a minor problem at the mo, but if it gets worse it'll obviously be a major concern.

Hi Paul, hope you've got this fixed now. I had a similar problem with 3rd gear on mine. I thought that maybe i just needed to get used to the 'box, and the frequency of this happenig did drop as I drove it more but was still irritating. I took it back to the supplying (Honda) dealer. They gave it a test drive, and of course it failed to happen for them so I was told to "keep an eye on it". There's a few threads on here about changing the fluid and I asked my independent mechanic about it at service time. He said it might be the fluid so changed it. £30-odd quid and a few thousand miles later and the box is smooth as silk.

yip, you can't do a clutch change without draining gearbox...have you tried replacing the clutch fluid?
and you can't do a clutch change without bleeding the clutch so the clutch fluid has been changed