What's new

56 Plate Diesel Timing Chain - Should I worry?

davecmr

Members
Reaction score
Car
Tourer Sport Diesel
My facelift diesel tourer has FHSH and 130k on the clock should I be worried about the timing chain been reading the posts on here and now i'm paranoid as mine has gone over the extended mileage warranty B)

Well as long as you give it regualr oil changes you should be fine. Also it could already have been done. You are correct its out of warranty now so don't worry about something thats not there.

Do you suspect it to be faulty?

if the car has used 0w-30 all it life then you wont see an issue , but its used 5w-30 & 10-40 or other nasty cheapo oil & oil changes not done at the recommended time. Then yes I would start to panic..

CJ what oil would you expect Honda would use for the car if the car was maintained fully by a honda dealer?

Thanks for the quick replies, all services are done on time I'm going to ring the dealer (Avondale in Northampton) and ask them if they can give me any details on whether its been changed.

I dont suspect it being a problem just read the bit about 04/05 cn1 cn2 and the fact that i'm used to a quiet petrol engine maybe makes me a bit more paranoid.

I'm gonna start doing oil changes at every 5k miles using Shell 0 30.

CJ what oil would you expect Honda would use for the car if the car was maintained fully by a honda dealer?

We have been aware of Honda dealers using both 5w40 and 10w30 for the ICDTI sad but very true.

Can we name and shame these dealers so we all know to stay away from them?

my best advice is do your own oil changes at least you no its the correct oil

correct me if i'm wrong here but did this only affect the early cars and around 2005/6 it was all sorted and not a problem?

Dont worry mate. Change oil regularly (I would advise shorter intervals, say every 8k?) and you will be fine. I poped in to my local dealer cause I thought my chain been rattling, was told its ok. It takes just a few mins for honda technician to say if its ok and its free;)
dan

Cars a September 2006. I'm going to do the oil every 5k thats what I did with my previous cars. Hopefully going to get a Honda mechanic to have a quick listen to it I rang the original dealer up thats serviced it and its not had one fitted. For some reason it had a turbo at 29k miles and then the exhaust manifold at 78k miles which is about right.

90% of dealers out there will still be using 5w-30 and some have been known to use 10-40 too:lol: :lol:

I've been in contact with all the honda dealers over here and they've all said they use 0W-30 (when asked what oil do you use, not are you using 0W-30). Some have been saying that the oil for my car is very specific and must be 0W-30 which is reassuring. I was reading over on the civinfo site that Honda branded oil is 5W-40, wonder has this been used by some dealers?

Also found this - Civinfo - Servicing

Blimey, new turbo at 29k???

Honda will do a branded oil that is 5w/30 but that doesn't mean it's the right one for the car :lol:

For what it's worth, in my opinion I would say no need to panic. Your chain won't magically start rattling overnight just because you've gone past the 130k marker.

If it sounds ok now, and you're using 0w/30 oil and ensuring regular changes.. it should be fine.

Well this got me thinking so I decided to contact the Honda dealer who has maintained the car before me. It was Alan Day Honda in southampton. They gave me a call back and the service guy ***ured me that they use 0w30 Castrol engine oil for all there 2.2 diesels. Really nice customer service TBH, well impressed.

This also gave me an opportunity to go through the items they actually serviced\replaced and the car seems to have had all regular oil changes and filters etc.

I never really suspected my chain to be damaged but its good peace of mind to know its had the right oil through its life.

Guys if in doubt and you have Honda service history just contact the dealer who carried the work out and ask what they have used.

Well its getting an oil and filter done at honda and there going to give it the once over for me too for £79 and thats using the 0 30 castrol oil works out about £8 more than me buying the bits and doing it myself plus i'd need to buy the tool for getting the filter cup off so no point getting my hands dirty and i'll have peace of mind about the car too.

They came and picked the car up from my work too so I await there phonecall tomorrow fingers crossed!

Yeah I was a bit shocked when they said about the turbo maybe it was just a faulty turbo or something.

They also checked on the system and there are no recalls outsanding on my car either, one think that was interesting to find out was that as far as they knew from going by my reg number there is no extended warranty/mileage to cover the timing chains.....

£79 is pretty fair really mate :lol:

Paul - the injectors are only part of the job because they often seize and break when removing the rocker cover.. They actually have nothing to do with the timing chain rattle itself however.

But I know and you know if you leave the injector soaking overnight they remove easily.. Honda have issued a very detailed step by step injector removal with loads of special tools. Dealers break them to get the job moving along :lol: why the customer is paying..;)

cheeky technicians. Now i'm sure CJ you do not tolerate that sort of behaviour

CJ it's probably an easy way to stockpile spare injectors.. I bet they only replace the ones that break and then keep the rest in stock for paying customers :lol:

I think it was Adam (thehole) who had to take his back numerous times after the chain was replaced due to a leaky injector seal... I can't confirm for sure but I'd bet they used his old injector and it wouldn't seat correctly.

£79 is pretty fair really mate :lol:

Paul - the injectors are only part of the job because they often seize and break when removing the rocker cover.. They actually have nothing to do with the timing chain rattle itself however.

oh right i stand corrected i thought they were replaced because they injected to much fuel due to calibration issue and made the oil carbon up and wear the chain

Interesting thoughts there Paul... kinda makes sense too. I only say what do based on a detailed conversation I had wtih Gaz at HH while he was fitting my clutch.. his opinion was that the chain rattle is down to poor quality oil and missing service intervals.

Well I change at 6k but all motorway miles - still well below what Honda recommend.

So, I think Paul was half right in his view that the soot content is related to premature wear, but that's not the reason they change the injectors.

Cool, I've enhanced my knowledge that little bit more today.. I now know 00.00000001% of stuff there is to know :ph34r:

I poped in to my local dealer cause I thought my chain been rattling, was told its ok. It takes just a few mins for honda technician to say if its ok and its free;)
dan

They asked me for £230 to check if there's a noise from Timing Chain in Swindon. Said they can't say by just listening and would have to strip it out .....

BTW: Does anyone know what oil Honda Holdcroft is using? Having mine serviced at the meet and thinking should I get some oil from Opie or is the one supplied by HH good enough?

HH always use 0w/30 on the diesel mate. You shouldn't even have to ask that!

Sorry I should have made it clearer, I meant a brand of oil :D Is there any benefit of ordering for example Motul over what they put in at HH ?

Their oil is marked as Honda.. it will meet all the necessary standards. If you read my review of the Exxol oil from Lubetech you'll see that in my opinion the other brands are not worth the extra money at all.

Fair enough. I won't be worrying about that then. Only for my oil changes in between services. Cheers

Well Barnsley Honda rang me today everythings fine they said timing chain is not noisy and there is a v.small oil leak which I already knew about BUT (I knew there had to be one of them) there is an engine noise that they believe to be something on the drive belt but they said its not worrying them and to leave it till it develops a bit more. If I want to know what it is they will take the belt off and have a look but that'll cost me so I think its the old pry bar to the ear trick and see if I can figure out whats getting noisy. Oh and they even fitted me new mats for me :D