What's new

716 miles from a tank!

benw123

Members
Reaction score
Car
2006 i-CTDI EX
Filled up this morning after running the tank to its last couple of litres and hit exactly 716 miles as I pulled up. Surely a world record?! :rolleyes:

My daily commute is well-suited to return good fuel economy - it's 40 miles each way from Herts around the M25 and M40 to Bucks, through 50mph-limited roadworks and A-roads - but over the last tank I've deliberately been setting cruise at 75mph, trimming off 5mph from the obligatory 80mph of normal traffic. It's made a real difference. The only other change to the car is that the tyres are inflated to around 38psi all-round, mainly for fuel economy but also because so much of my driving is on the motorway. I've also not used the AC at all.

Incidentally, the computer reported 66.1mpg although I've calculated from the fill-up that the actual economy is 59.1mpg (55 litres of fuel across 716 miles). Anyone else have a similar daily drive?

Mods - double-post (I got an error when submitting). Can you delete this thread please?

Impressive, I've had just under 700 miles with a full load, 19" rims and a remap ;) I'm sure I can hit over 700 miles, but you just have to be driving like Miss Daisy. I don't have a trip computer in mine but it seems to be a common issue - they are crap basically.

that's mighty impressive. Isn't the official theoretical max range about 720? I feel a challenge coming on!

I distinctly remember on the old forum, someone reckoned they had managed over 800 miles.. and I actually think it's possible but you would need to be on 56MPH everywhere and be totally **** about shifting gears, braking etc.

On a full tank I drove from Liverpool to Cameron House, loch lomond to Glasgow and a good few runs around glasgow and back and still had a quarter completing 617 miles. I couldnt believe it, i became to think i never reset my trip. excellent mpg on the motorway

that's mighty impressive. Isn't the official theoretical max range about 720? I feel a challenge coming on!
By coincidence, EVO magazine was waiting for me when I got home and one of the contributors Chris Harris was talking about the fuel economy challenges of driving a Merc SLS, of all things. He mentioned limiting top speed too and not using cruise control, so could try that next.

I reckon with my current commute, which does involve a bit of stop/start traffic, I might be able to push the mileage to 750 but it would be tough going and involve diving into the dregs of the tank to reach it (probably not great for the fuel filter). Beyond that and things get silly; I'd need to set off for work at 4am to get a clear run, switch off all electrics, inflate the tyres to 40psi and so on.

But this topic is firmly on my mind now. With a brimmed tank tonight I drove home more slowly than usual and the computer now reports 69.9mpg. Onwards!