• No

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

SayamaAccord

And still...
Reaction score
Car
13 Tourer 2.4 EX man
Let's get an idea how often this has happened.

Mods can you please edit the ***le to include the saloon - ta.

we know of two forum members with the 2.4, and one non-forum owner with the 2.4, so there could be many other people out there who do not use the forum, including owners of 2.0 petrol and 2.2 diesel

I posted my story on a few different Facebook groups. Honda Karma, CL9 Society (which I think is an Australian group) and the Acura TSX Society (state side). I got responses along the line of: yeah, this is pretty common, seen this happen to quite a lot of people, especially on the older/earlier models...

I expect there are plenty of stories out there of 2.4 owners who've snapped a drive shaft, but then again, I expect many are still happily motoring without having suffered snapped drive shafts. I guess it's all down to driving style, car condition (rust etc), modifications and so on. But it would be interesting to know of the users here, who's suffered a snap on their 2.4. I'm starting to think this is a problem that we'll see more and more as the 7th gens get older.

Is it possible to install diesel drive shafts to the petrol models? I imagine they are beefier due to the turbo diesels torque.

Paul S said:
Is it possible to install diesel drive shafts to the petrol models? I imagine they are beefier due to the turbo diesels torque.
When you take into account the gearbox and diff, the torque in 1st gear on the 2.2 diesel is about 20% more than the torque in 1st gear on the 2.4 petrol. The same is true for the 2.4 petrol relative to the 2.0 petrol. (EDM Accord)

I've done a spreadsheet using the same engines and chassis as in #4, screenshot below

Accord_gear_ratios_tourers.jpg

I've used parts of the torque curve for each engine that can be approximated to a constant number
2.0 (K20A6) = 180 Nm 3k-6k rpm
2.4 (K24A3) = 220 Nm 3k-6k rpm
2.2 (N22A1) = 330 Nm 1.5k-3k rpm

The total torque at the shaft at wide-open-throttle, for each gear, is in the final column

Note that it's only in 1st and 2nd gear where the torque on the driveshafts is higher on the CN2 than on the CM2, once you reach 3rd gear and above, the torque on the driveshafts for the CM2 and CN2 are roughly the same.

Note also that the max shaft rpm is the max engine rpm divided by the total ratio, so 1st gear
2.0 = 6800 ÷ 15.6 = 417 rpm
2.4 = 7200 ÷ 15.5 = 465 rpm
2.2 = 4500 ÷ 12.9 = 349 rpm
which means that the CN2 has to change up before the CM2 (hence losing torque at the wheel sooner)

Interesting reading. Cheers Brian.