What's new

7th gen Accord - Please advice

maciekmaciek19

Members
Reaction score
Car
e39
Hi All

I'm new here and only joined as I'm hoping to become one of you Accord owners.

I am about to sell my bmw e39 diesel and get an accord 2003-2006 petrol.

Since I do not know much about japaneese cars I need you to tell me which model and engine version to go for.

I'd like the 2.4 as the most powerfull but not sure which version offers best reliability etc.
Also not sure if I want estate or saloon. Is there much difference in terms of comfort, noise etc?

What's the best buy??

The best advice i can give is have a good look at the forum and make your own mind up.
Each model offers something different for everyone.Like for high mileage use go for a diesel.
If you want space for dogs or lots of luggage go for the tourer.If you want max power go for the 2.4 petrol its up to you really.

The best advice i can give is have a good look at the forum and make your own mind up.
Each model offers something different for everyone.Like for high mileage use go for a diesel.
If you want space for dogs or lots of luggage go for the tourer.If you want max power go for the 2.4 petrol its up to you really.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I know I want petrol but not sure which engine is more reliable.
If the tourer is as comfy as sedan I'd go for it but I just don't know.
Those cars have really good rewiews but it's best to hear from owners so I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks

Tourers are great but as expected weigh a bit more. Reliability is not really an issue as long as the car is looked after properly. Look for the EX spec and think about changing the suspension. Older versions have cheaper tax, so unless you really want facelift toys then look for an older one

Good news is with ved the way it is 2.4s are dropping in price and are easier to find. It is a buyer's Market.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.

I know I want petrol but not sure which engine is more reliable.
If the tourer is as comfy as sedan I'd go for it but I just don't know.
Those cars have really good rewiews but it's best to hear from owners so I'd appreciate any help.
Thanks
This one is for the petrol heads but i would say the 2.l and 2.4 are equally as reliable.As for the saloon and tourer there the same layout except you have a bigger boot.I would say both are as comfy.What i would go for is a facelift EX because you have more toys and full leather.

Tourers are great but as expected weigh a bit more. Reliability is not really an issue as long as the car is looked after properly. Look for the EX spec and think about changing the suspension. Older versions have cheaper tax, so unless you really want facelift toys then look for an older one

Good news is with ved the way it is 2.4s are dropping in price and are easier to find. It is a buyer's Market.

SO is it only really looks that is different on cl7?

I've only had mine for 2 days, so maybe a little bias and excitement about my opinion. I have to say the Ex is amazing, I got the 2.2 i-CDTi and I absolutely love it.

I (My wife) have a dog and being more sensible than I am, my wife suggested I wait until we found a Diesel tourer but tbh, I prefer the saloon's look, it's just a wee dog so we can get a hammock for the back.

But I had a look at a couple, 2 of which were the Ex. One the 2 litre Petrol Tourer and the other the 2.2 Diesel saloon, I opted for the diesel saloon for the mpg... and I think it looks a bit better. Inside they were identical (apart from the boot space obviously).

No issues with power, it has plenty. 2006 model, not sure if you're after the 8th gen but I'd opt for the Diesel Ex all day long. :)

Why don't you test drive them both and decide for yourself?

Without trying to point out the obvious, one is a 2.0 petrol, the other is a 2.4 petrol. They will drive and feel very different.

If you can afford the slightly higher costs then get the 2.4, I have the 2.0 and it is more than adequate but i would get the 2.4 if i could afford to run one. Both engines are bullet proof so either will be reliable. It just comes down to running costs and performance really.

Is the 2.4 much more expensive to own? I don't care about fuel economy just wondering how much more expensive the insurance and tax is.

Do you have some accord friendly insurers in mind?

Is the 2.4 much more expensive to own? I don't care about fuel economy just wondering how much more expensive the insurance and tax is.

Do you have some accord friendly insurers in mind?
VED for 2L is around £165 per year/ 2.4L is around £400 im not sure about insurance.

holy crap!!! this high? £400 road tax per annum??? thanks for this. will reconsider a diesel now :)
Double check but im not sure if this £400 is for a new car have a look at the link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Iv just had a look at 2006 2.4 and it seems the tax banned is K so its not £400 can someone confirm this because its very complicating :lol:

Double check but im not sure if this £400 is for a new car have a look at the link.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Iv just had a look at 2006 2.4 and it seems the tax banned is K so its not £400 can someone confirm this because its very complicating :lol:

Yup that's it. 2.4 is over £400 in tax... but I could convert it to LPG and that would make it much cheaper... will it?

Yup that's it. 2.4 is over £400 in tax... but I could convert it to LPG and that would make it much cheaper... will it?
Iv sorted it if the car was registered before 23 March 2006 its £250.After that it looks like only automatics fall into the £435 bracket which are band L.

the tax went up for 2.4s registered from 05 onwards. im pretty sure they are 245 a year to tax for pre 05. the 2.0 is 200 for the year.
if you are not bothered about economy then buy a petrol. it will not bite you on the bum with maintenance costs. the diesels as good as they are do have issues and if yet are not doing the miles to justify it then buy a petrol. it will not pop a flywheel or eat a clutch etc while you own it.

Brett has cleared up the tax confusion in the post above. :)

the tax went up for 2.4s registered from 05 onwards. im pretty sure they are 245 a year to tax for pre 05. the 2.0 is 200 for the year.
if you are not bothered about economy then buy a petrol. it will not bite you on the bum with maintenance costs. the diesels as good as they are do have issues and if yet are not doing the miles to justify it then buy a petrol. it will not pop a flywheel or eat a clutch etc while you own it.

Yeah that's true. I have a diesel now and really want a petrol accord but the tax is scarry. I will be going for 2004 reg max so if somebody could confirm the tax rate that would be great!

Its so confusing CJ will no he has a 2.4

It is confusing. I can accept £45 difference but £200 more than 2.0l seems a bit much.

I've searched all 2.4l on ebay and autotrader and there are some I like. If the tax is within acceptable limits I will continue my hunt and if not I'll turn towards 2.0l I guess...

Yeah that's true. I have a diesel now and really want a petrol accord but the tax is scarry. I will be going for 2004 reg max so if somebody could confirm the tax rate that would be great!

Band K £260 as the car will be registered before 23rd March 2006.

23rd March 2006 is when the two higher bands were brought in via the budget.

How long cars with a CO2 reading on the log book but registered before 23rd March 2006 will stay capped at this band is an unanswered question.

Band K £260 as the car will be registered before 23rd March 2006.

23rd March 2006 is when the two higher bands were brought in via the budget.

How long cars with a CO2 reading on the log book but registered before 23rd March 2006 will stay capped at this band is an unanswered question.

Thanks mate! So we're still in business.

Do you know the deal with alternative fuel tax bands? If I had the Accord converted to LPG would the tax be cheaper??

I got a diesel and when I quoted my insurance thru gocompare for 2.4 petrol it was much cheeper. Go figure. 2.4 group is 18? 22.2 diesel is 14 i think, so why insuring diesel is dearer?
Btw, because of your topic I was on trader looking for 2.4 again....My wife doesnt like it at all :( I can understand her (new brake pads, discs, clutch...) but petrol is so inviting :D
Go get it mate.
Powodzenia :)

Thanks mate! So we're still in business.

Do you know the deal with alternative fuel tax bands? If I had the Accord converted to LPG would the tax be cheaper??

From what I understand you have to contact DVLA and send them the log book, together with the invoice for the conversion, just the same as you would with any major engine modification. They amend the log book to reflect dual fuel and also the tax band that it falls into but by all accounts the saving is minimal. ie band K would be £250 instead of £260. I would imagine they will keep it in band K as it has the capabilities of still running on Petrol.

From what I understand you have to contact DVLA and send them the log book, together with the invoice for the conversion, just the same as you would with any major engine modification. They amend the log book to reflect dual fuel and also the tax band that it falls into but by all accounts the saving is minimal. ie band K would be £250 instead of £260. I would imagine they will keep it in band K as it has the capabilities of still running on Petrol.

Thanks for your help. This is very informative.
I think it's now time to search the market and finally get the car!

holy crap!!! this high? £400 road tax per annum??? thanks for this. will reconsider a diesel now :)

I shall be wincing when I have to had over 425 notes for my tax disc next month, but that said I have no regrets at all buying my Type S tourer. It is soooo rewarding to drive It has hasn't been that much more to service than the Nissan Primera GT I used to own....which I do miss. I'm not really fussed that the 2.4L is thirsty as I only do about 12.5K a year. I have acres of space, head & leg room isn't an issue....i'm a happy chap :D If you are going to be be doing big miles you might wish to consider a diesel. If necessary test drive them all and try try and get one on 17" rims. Anything smaller just doesn't quite look right....

Happy hunting.