What's new

7th Gen Boot Spolier

Mr Honda

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord
Alright guys, just wondering apart from looks is there an added benefit of having the rear boot spoiler on the Accord. Has anyone noticed a changed in how the car behaves, particularly at higher speeds, as opposed to not having one there??

The 7th gen always felt a little twichy at "higher" motorway speeds, just want to know if the spoiler would help improve that??

I would imagine it has zero affect on handling/downforce. I never noticed a difference when I removed mine.

Cheers for the quick reply... not exactly what I wanted to hear however... :( :(

I imagine, you'll a more substantial Euro R style spoiler to feel the benefit.

I'm always watching breakers yards on eBay for the alternative style Tourer Spoiler, with the big slit in it. You know, like the one Dan (the Mod) has on his. I'd like to think that has some positive impact on the rear of the car at high speeds. Something the tourer's big caboose could really benefit from actually.

I think tweaking the suspension geometry, anti roll bars or tires would have the biggest impact on stability. Aero mods wont really take much effect at our uk motorway speeds unless your constantly doing 110+ which is unlikely

The best way to get rid of the accords high speed twichyness is to lower the car ... the accord sits very high as standard and if you doing a little bit over the national speed limit you will feel it roll and twich on corners...added to that a rear diffuser will help too

Agree with Sufian on this one, lowering the car makes a massive difference, handling wise! but then again there are downfalls I miss the smooth EX feel of my Accord, now I can feel every single adverse affects from the road!

I have lowered my car, a-spec kit, and while I couldn't get over how more surefotted the Accord was since, I still think it suffers some higher speed twitchyness, could be I'm just lacking the power to push through it though!! :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

About a year and a half ago, the day after i had the suspension kit fitted.... ;)
You really need to lower on fully adjustable collies buddy to get the full potential from the accord at higher speeds.. and you will need to play with the height for a bit to suit your driving style.. alot of people use collies just for slammage to get low as possible.. but slot like myself use it for function rather than form hence why im not as slow as many out there.. just like your self I had problems with the accord being slightly twitchy on high speed (70 of course!!) Cruising and even after the intial drop of 40mm back and front it still was not perfect... but after a 60mm drop all round the car handles much better and id have no fear of taking a sharp turn or whatever at a high speed. Iv also left the natural camber on the back and have not installed any camber adjustment arms..I found this also helps with rear sticking in lane as you want it to..but as a rule of thumb..what ever you do to the back you do to the front or vise versa.. so spoiler on the rear for performance ..hmm maybe if you were making 350 plus horses.. then you will certainly introduce the rear diffuser front low splitter and front bumper canards.

Exactly, Sufi. A rear spoiler that provides real downforce will lift the front end of the car, making it feel more unstable at speed unless you put a front splitter on too. But the splitter won't provide functional downforce unless the car is super low.

Anyway, I find the Accord only gets twitchy above about 110 on the autobahn. At UK speeds I've never had a problem.

People tend to forget the accord is front heavy and front wheel drive..even though you can point the accord in a direction and it will follow through.. the car sometimes lags due to the general weight of the car. . . To get it to a proper track spec you going to have to shed alot of weight out of it ... light wheels.. and a defo a tweak to the engine as the vtec bracket is wayy to small.. but lowering it does in no doubt help with handling.

Thanks for the input guys... while the type s has a front skirt already, is it this, that at high speed is causing the twitchyness effect, effectively pushing the front down and causing the back to go light?? :huh: :huh: Might just bite the bullet and get the spoiler anyway, hopefully the placebo effect will kick in and make everything right :huh: :huh: :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the input guys... while the type s has a front skirt already, is it this, that at high speed is causing the twitchyness effect, effectively pushing the front down and causing the back to go light?? :huh: :huh: Might just bite the bullet and get the spoiler anyway, hopefully the placebo effect will kick in and make everything right :huh: :huh: :huh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Its the ride height at the back buddy thats causing the twichy feeling as the body roll is huge... its the same on all accords weather they have a lip kit or not.. it needs to be lowered..