What's new

7th Gen HID kit - Any experience?

Goodluckmonkey

TA Friends
Reaction score
Car
CN2
I'm looking to upgrade the naff lamps in my 7th gen as I do a lot of night driving.
I've done a bit of reading here, and it would appear that retro-fitting a suitable HID kit into my existing projector setup would be an acceptable mod provided they're set-up correctly.

I'm not looking to laser other cars in half or burn out people's retinas, but I'm after a better visibility than stock, without dazzling other road users.

Can anyone recommend a particular kit, and at a particular wattage from experience?

Ideally something that can be installed neatly and doesn't stand out too much when viewed by other road users.

Having a projector in your headlight as standard, there's no way other people will get dazzled by them. At least if you point them properly (garage/mecanic).

Cant comment on HID xenon kits but have just upgraded my bulbs to osram nightbreakers unlimited and they are fantastic.
Crisper and whiter output and definitely much more light too.

Definitely worth a try before the hid kit route as its an easier upgrade

I've just upgraded to ring h1 120% brighter they have made a massive difference to my dim headlights. All though I can't recommend them untill they have lasted more than a few months, as I've been told these upgraded bulbs don't last as long. But for 11.50 it's no big loss. I'll probably try the night breakers next time.

Try the new CREE headlight LED bulbs instead of hid. They give a crisp intense light output, and there's no warm up time or complicated ballasts to install.

Horizon lighting sell them

Cheers chaps. It's got some halfords uprated bulbs in there at the moment, but it's still really poor on dip compared to the wife's ancient 2001 civic.

Projector lights are pretty pants at the best of time, a nicely designed reflector usually seems to have a better spread in my experience, whereas a projector's good in the middle, but dim at the sides.

F6HAD said:
Try the new CREE headlight LED bulbs instead of hid. They give a crisp intense light output, and there's no warm up time or complicated ballasts to install.

That I like the idea of. Their dirtbike stuff does a great job. Good shout! Thanks.

Cree's ordered - I'll let you know how I get on.

Can you do a little guide please? I'd be interested in this incase I have anymore headlight issues. Thanks

F6HAD said:

Also to be used as high beam? Or only dipped beam

I bought two pairs. Some normal ones for dip, and some evil ones for high, as they don't get pointed at people.

I'll fit them when they arrive, take some pics if I can, and report back.

Goodluckmonkey said:
I bought two pairs. Some normal ones for dip, and some evil ones for high, as they don't get pointed at people.

I'll fit them when they arrive, take some pics if I can, and report back.
Yes, let me know please

accord_n22 said:
Cant comment on HID xenon kits but have just upgraded my bulbs to osram nightbreakers unlimited and they are fantastic.
Crisper and whiter output and definitely much more light too.

Definitely worth a try before the hid kit route as its an easier upgrade
I use the WOIF Xenons & Canbus eror free LED's from Ebay. I discovered whilst the cheap Xenons look good, the actual throw doesnt light up the road ahead well, there are cars with halogens driving past me which light up road better. One of my side light LED flickers & burns out regularly the other has been fine since day one. I have therefore just taken delivery of the H1 Osram nightbreakers unlimited & the Osram Cool Blue intense, as you suggested currently £20.60 free delivery for both sets on Amazon. Will fit today

A lot of it is down to the reflector design.

A well designed old school reflector setup is still the champ as far as I'm concerned, but fashion dictates otherwise.

Okay, Ive removed the HID's fitted a standard Halogen and then the Osram NIghtbreaker. The Nightbreakers are much whiter than standard Halogen but nowhere near as bright white as the cheap WOIF Xenons I had. Nonetheless Ive gone of the Xenons, I just realised my side lights had blown a fuse yet again and both LEDS were not working, so goodbye to them. Now everything is back to Osram nighbreakers and actually they look much nice. What a pullava changing all these bulbs! Although i notice my headlamps look well oxidised will give them the Meguiars treatment this weekend.

Just been for a night drive and the bulbs are incredibly more brighter, you can actually so the road light up well which I couldn't with the woif xenons

I have got 55w 5000k hids in my dipped beam which i purchased from Horizon and they are fantastic with a razor sharp cut off on the beam pattern and i have Philips Extreme Vision +130 in the main beams and they aren't as white as the hids but they give a good beam pattern with an intense light. I have also got Osram leds in the sidelights they weren't cheap but got fed up with changing the unbranded ones on a regular basis! I couldn't go back to halogens in the dipped beam no matter how good they are they just don't cut it when compared to hids.