What's new

7th Gen - Rubbish for kids car seats

Swervin Mervin

Members
Reaction score
Car
Jazz
I've had 4 cars now since the kids came along and the Accord is by far the fiddliest for attaching the kids seats. The sockets that the belts click into are just so short and close to the seat.

Yeah it's Pap! :lol:

"Mission" is an understatement. I basically fitted mine and now refuse to take it out for anything. I'll make two journeys if I have to, rather than remove it and have to put it back later :lol: .

I'm often bumping the boys head on the way in too as it's such a tight doorway with it the child seat and I'm measuring him weekly for when he's tall/heavy enough for a booster so I don't need to use the child seat anymore.

But joking aside, once you've done it a few times you do get the knack. But it is definitely fiddly. I've put our seat in other cars and it was much easier.

+1
Bought additional kiddie seats for the Mrs' car as it's just too annoying getting them in and out of the Accord.
Mostly the way when you're 99% the way there the belt locks and has to be completely retracted to unlock again.
That said the copious Tourer boot wins hands down with all the other child related paraphernalia.

Yeah the boot is epic. I can fit the buggy, the a large food shop, and still be able to fit more in and pull the privacy screen across to boot contents. And sometimes when we're parked up I could shut the kid in the boot and he thought it was brilliant running around inside the boot and stuff. He can't do it anymore though, he's too tall now :rolleyes: .

Could honestly say I've never really noticed it, but then I can only compare with using a seat in a Passat highline which to me was similar.

I think your right Andy, very fiddly indeed. We've got a maxi cosi seat and its a pain to get the belts round and clipped in.

Maxi Cosi for us too. Maybe it's a Maxi Cosi/Accord thing. I've never tried a different seat in the Accord.

fortunately I never used seat belts to attached infant car seat as I had Maxi Cosi base which was strapped by seat belts so I didn't have to remove it, now I'm using Britax car seat with isofix which takes 30 seconds to remove if needed :D

I was told that the shorter the bit the belt plugs into the better when it comes to child seats because it avoids something called buckle crunch?
We also have a maxi cosi seat and although its a little fiddly I honestly don't find it to bad. Having to bend your kid over double to fit through the doorway isn't great though!

fortunately I never used seat belts to attached infant car seat as I had Maxi Cosi base which was strapped by seat belts so I didn't have to remove it, now I'm using Britax car seat with isofix which takes 30 seconds to remove if needed :D

I'm guessing your motor is a facelift then? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm pretty sure mine doesn't have isofix.
My seats are Britax.....and bl**dy fiddly.

Nah, mine's an 03 and it's got isofix.

And even with isofix, you still do the belt as well. But the maxi cosi base unit is great. We had it with our baby chair before we upgraded to a larger seat when the boy got bigger. Click in, click out, leave the base unit isofixed and strapped in. Great design.

Aah, cheers Steve. You learn something new every day etc..

I've never encountered Isofix before. So the seat fits in securely but as you say....you've still gotta faff about with the seatbelts anyway.

Yeh, we had a Mama's and Papa's travel system when my little 'uns were....little. The base stayed in the car secured with the seatbelt and the seat clicked in and out of the base....sound the same as yours...great system

And even with isofix, you still do the belt as well.
what for?isofix is instead seatbelts and no matter how tight you'd strap the belts it won't be as stable as with isofix, additionally britax car seat have top teather which you can attached to the back of the seat and our accord do have that point which is behind headrest ;-)
romersafefixtttoptether3.jpg

I was always under the impression that isofix was in addition to the belt, not instead. My seat is isofix but has points for the belt fittings too and instructions on the side for fitting with a belt. The isofix holds it in place and there's a strut to the floor pan of the car, so it's relatively solid. But the seat belt helps keep the seat pinned back in the chair. Maybe it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Either way, whether you need the belt or not, it's an option with my seat and it doesn't hurt to have the extra peace of mind with extra anchor points.

Okay, so the isofix seats are secured to these solid metal brackets. Do the seats then come with their own harness for keeping the kids secure?

Yeah. Our first seat clamped to the car using ISO fix and an adjustable pillar that pushed against the floorpan. The seatbelt also went through this. The baby then buckled up in a 5 point harness in a chair that slotted into the base unit. Then the chair would remove from the base unit and slot on the buggy. Very quick and easy indeed.

As the baby becomes a toddler it's too big for this system and so you need a bigger chair. Now my boy sits in a chair that clamps to the car with isofix and the adjustable floor pan pillar. It's further held in place by the car's seatbelt. The chair then has a 5 point harness for the kid.

So in all, the kid is very well fixed in.

Cheers Steve...so where's these isofix points in the back of the tourer?

They are at the base of the seats in the back. Both seats behind the front seats, not the middle seat though. Little slits in the fabric and stick your finger in there and you'll feel a metal bar/hook about 5mm in diameter.

I've also used a Maxi Cosi seat with an ISOFIX base. Agree with the other comments; the Accord is a bit fiddly for this. The leather seats in my EX are less than ideal, too.

The main problem is that the ISOFIX connectors are hidden between the rear seat base and the upright seat back. On my my wife's Audi, you can clearly see them - there are cut-outs with a plastic shroud so it's easy. Mind you, in the Accord the ISOFIX connectors are noticeably further away from the door, more inboard nearer the middle of the car - I guess ths is for additional safety in the event of a side-on collision.

I have tried few iso fix chairs and none will fit properly. If you lock the seat to isofix you cant pull out the belt socket thingy behind the seat's leg. It is just to short. In order to fasten the belt properly I need to unlock the isofix and then move the whole seat about 2 inches towards the door. It is a pain as I would like to use that safety feature. Someone said get the extender and you will be fine... I can get pictures if needed. Dan

I have two on the back, one isofix one not. Not had a problem with either of them. I find it tight in the back though, I would've preferred a few mm off the boot size and added it to the rear passenger compartment.

I've had 4 cars now since the kids came along and the Accord is by far the fiddliest for attaching the kids seats. The sockets that the belts click into are just so short and close to the seat.

My dearest wife is a registered childminder and I have now perfected the art of installing 4 different types of BRITAX car seats (most of them ISOFIX). Once the plastic isofix inserts have been pushed into the rear of the seat this makes the clamp insertion easier.....I have found using a long cable tie looped through the seatbelt receiver socket very helpful so I can pull on it to keep the socketin place as they have a habit of sliding behind the isofix seat mounts. I WILL ADMIT it was a bit annoying to start with, but I can get 2 isofix seats fitted in minutes.

Simon

Maxi Cosi for us too. Maybe it's a Maxi Cosi/Accord thing. I've never tried a different seat in the Accord.
Sorry for being off topic I've finally found somebody with some Maxi cosi seat experience. There are so many car seats with different specs that I got easily overwhelmed. Not to mention the worthless reviews on amazon plus the hype blog reviews. After going at it which seemed like ages I have found a site that seems to be legit. They actually try and test those seats. I've read this best maxi-cosi seats list and managed to short list a few. Maybe there's one from the list that will do the job. Which one would you pick? All in all how good is maxi cosi when it comes to installation? Would you recommend it?

Long time ago now... but from what I remember, yeah, it was fine. Had the base unit which worked well with the baby carrier that detached onto the stroller, and then the next size up when he got bigger was a nice chair too. It had several recline positions and apart from sometimes getting muddy footprints on the back of the driver seat, it wasn't really a problem. There was a certain knack to getting it in, but once you've done it a few times, you're slotting that thing in intuitively without any problems at all. One thing I'd recommend, if you've got leather seats, as I had, get a rubber protective mat for the chair, to prevent scratching and/or dents. I did for mine and I think without it, the bottom of the seat would have left permanent marks on the chair.