What's new

8th gen 2.0 iVtec Petrol R series engine Oil Change

richsprint

Members
Reaction score
Car
2.0 petrol Tourer
Thought I'd do an intermediate oil change on my 8th gen Tourer as I do fairly low mileage, quite a bit of urban also, which makes the oil dirty. Engine is the 2.0 ivtec R series, also in the Civic in 1.8 form.

Genuine Honda oil filter is about £6 from a dealer with a sump plug washer, I have chosen Castrol Magnatec 5w/30 full synthetic oil, as there was a special deal on it. I know 0w/30 might be better, but was a lot more expensive.

My car is a 58 reg, so 5 years old, 68k miles, previous owner did all the miles on the motorway, so the chassis is quite rusty as he obviously didnt bother washing it too much in the winter, so I'm working around it, pressure washing and waxoyling to stabilise the corrosion. Anyway here goes:

1. I chocked the rear wheels with bricks, car in gear, handbrake on. I used my trolley jack to jack up the front on the central jack point on the metal subframe, then I placed my drive on ramps under the front sills on the jacking points with wood on top to protect the sill paint.

2. There is an undertray with an access panel held on with 7x 10mm bolts. However mine have completely rusted up due to winter salt, no amount of penetrating spray would shift them. So I had to remove the whole undertray moulding, its held by 7 plastic push pin clips, 1 also in the passenger wheelarch, 2 in the driver arch.

3. So now you can see the sump, exhaust pipe and the black oil filter up in the edge of the sump casting.

4. Sump plug is 17mm, get a ring spanner on it and carefully undo, a couple of gentle hammer taps started mine off.

5. Clean the oil filter off with an old cloth, then use the tool of your choice to unscrew it. I used rubber gloves, the extra grip allowed me to unscrew it by hand. Once the oil has drained, get the new sump plug washer on, prime your new filter with clean oil and screw on hand tight.

6. Tighten your sump plug by hand and then a final push. The fill slowly with 4 litres of oil. Start the engine and check for leaks. If all ok replace the undertray.

+1 for a nice write up ;)