What's new

8th gen Honda vs Mazda 6 - advice needed ASAP!

ship69

Members
Reaction score
Car
'08 i-DTEC EX man 5D
Hi

Help! I needs some advice.

Out of desperation, I tried to 'defect' to a Mazda 6 estate 2.2D (diesel) mainly because I couldnt find a used Honda Accord Tourer 2.2 i-DTEC (diesel) that suited me.

BUT, both of the Mazda 6 cars that I have bought this week have serious problems!
i.e. When my local Mazda dealer evaluated each of them, it turns out BOTH of them have serious steering rack problems - which will cost £2300 to repair!

So, under the "Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 and the Sale of Goods Act 1979"
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1241.pdf
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/reports/676408/oft1242.pdf
... I have already returned the first car to Car Giant, and now it looks like I still have the opportunity to return the second car to Black Horse. [GROAN]

My dilemma is that although Fahad tells me that the Honda Accord is "a much better car than the Mazda 6", how much better?
And is it worth that extra 2 or 3 grand, like for like?

My basic strategy was to buy a young-ish car, look after it and try to get 200K miles from it.
I am looking for cheap, reliable, comfortable, mostly motorway miles.
I need a 0 to 60 time of sub 10 seconds, for safety during over taking (and would probably remap whatever I get to sub 8-9 seconds)
Colour: Blue if humanly possible!

My budget is £10K to £12K.

MAZDA 6 vs HONDA ACCORD

My last car was a 2.2 i-CTDi EX 5d Tourer from 2007 (which v sadly I wrote off). I've only had the Mazda 6 for a few days but here is how I got on:
- A top of the range sporty 185bhp SL Mazda 6 estate was the first car I bought this week (which I handed back today!)
- My current car is the 163bhp TS2 Mazda 6 estate 2010 (EDIT: it may actually be a 2009 model I'll need to check).

- ENGINE NOISE:
On both Mazdas, the engines are smooth very quiet even when revving hard. 'Effortless' acceleration. Rather pleasant sound. Fantastic - and much nicer than my i-DTEC.
I imagine that with a Fahad tweaking they will be amaaaazing.

- ACCELERATION:
The TS2 (163bhp) model: 0 - 60 time of 8.8, way better than Honda's 2.2 i-DTEC 0 -60 time of 9.8s
AND the MPG of 53 is distinctly better than Honda's 50mpg.

The SL (185bhp) model: 0 - 60 time of 8.5s feels seriously quick leaves the Honda for dust.
MPG is 49 i.e. about the same as the Honda.

I suspect the key problem is that the Honda is 8% heavier (1703 versus the Mazda's 1575kg)

To be fair my Honda 2.2 i-CTDI was Fahad remapped to c180BHP, which worked great with good acceleration and pretty good economy. BUT this then required a new lumpy/shuddering 'sports' clutch, which had a horrible gear change in towns. Also the engine was slightly noisy engine under load.

- COMFORT:
Seats: Honda seats are way more comfortable. (Although why to people like leather seats? They are clammy and ****** cold in the winter).
Wind noise: Mazda suffers slightly from noisy wing mirrors. At 70-80 it sounds like you are driving into a wind. Only a bit of a whisper but it'll be annoying on long journeys.
Road/tyre noise: Mazda 6 okay but not brilliant. But way better than my 2007 Honda which IMHO was dreadful (albiet rather better after v quiet tyres).
Supsension:
The SL was hideous on motorways. With 'sports suspension' and 18" tyres feels every goddam bump. Brilliant cornering and good fun on winding roads, but on motorways (where I live) NIGHTMARE.
The TS2 was fine. Moderately good cornering and civilised on motorways. Not as comfortable suspension as my old i-CTDi on motorways. Cornering about the same.

- PRACTICALITY
Mazda wins this hands down. The Mazda estate boot space is huge and easy to use. Brilliant. An interesting feature is that there is no 'lip' to the boot, which means you can use every inch. i.e. Shopping only need be lifted to the height of the floor. Nothing disappears under your nose as it were. Honda designers watch and learn. No rear wheel housings causing trouble. Seats 'ping' flat. Honda designers and engineers take bl**dy note!

SUMMARY
On balance I love the engines on the Mazdas and would prefer it over my i-CTDI. But I have only managed a rather brief road test of an i-DTEC, which was an auto that clearly had severe faults.

QUESTIONS:
1.How does the manual 2.2 i-DTEC (e.g. the EX or EX GT) compare with:
i) a Mazda 6 2008+
ii) a 2007 Honda Accord

2. What is the Accord Type-S like on motorways?
After my experience with the SL version of the Mazda 6, I am now allergic to anything 'sports' for motorway cruising...

If I bought an accord with 18" alloy rims, would it be realistic to hope to swap them with someone for some 17" alloys for improved motorway comfort (??)

J

P.S. Why do people like privacy glass? it's not a deal breaker, but as per the leather seats, I hate it! From the inside you cant see out properly. Reversing at night is a nightmare. And passengers dont get a proper view out either. And aesthetically it looks kind of elitist, unfriendly and git-like. WTF?

I can't believe you returned two cars :lol: That's seriously funny..

JS, you have to live with the car.. it doesn't matter what I say, go with whichever you prefer. I personally think the Accord is a far superior car to the Ford Mazda, and I know they suffer various DPF problems (even worse than the Accord's)..

Btw, to get clear: technically it's not to late. My second car is still under warranty and I'm pretty sure they would fix it (although whether I'd need to drive back to Birmingham - 1.5 hours each way I shall need to find out tomorrow. So I could keep the second Mazda. The question is: should I?

Fahad - in what ways is the Honda better? Do you mean reliability wise, or handling or something else? Acceleration, BHP and MPG all seem to be worse on the Honda!
Perhaps I could give you a call tomorrow to discuss the above + remapping possibilities tomorrow. If so when would be a good time to call?

Meanwhile, I'll try and do a test drive of a manual 8th Gen Accord tomorrow...

J

P.S. I just found this car: It's even the right colour. But what's the (non-sports) suspension like on the ES model ?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301305119262/sort/default/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/colour/blue/maximum-mileage/up_to_40000_miles/body-type/estate/model/accord/make/honda/onesearchad/used/onesearchad/nearlynew/onesearchad/new/postcode/ox29pt/radius/1500/page/1?logcode=p

That's not that easy a question to answer. It seems you are looking for something that the Honda doesn't quite fulfill for you..

The Honda is a superior car in every way, and I'm not just saying that because this is an Accord forum.

The Mazda is essentially a Ford under the skin, and the platform is one generation behind the 8th gen IDTEC range. We've also seen these Mazda's come in with various engine problems including blown turbo's, EGR problems and they always suffer from DPF problems..

I don't want to put you off it, but if you've driven both and still prefer the Mazda then just go for it.

You can call whenever - i'm with the kids all weekend.

I also considered the Mazda too but after using google and reading the regular repair costs and the terrible service from dealers, it just put me off. I think the car is meant to be a more sporty ride but the cost you will spend in repairs when putting 200k on it may not be worth it in the long term.

you missed out on a cheap Accord, mine was collected today by BMW Finance to be sold off at auction where it will fetch id say sub 10k.

Never mind though as I have my new toy to play with......

If you are kooking for a car that you are going to run in to the ground buy a Mondeo. At least the parts will be cheaper and you will get more for your money

As Fahad said Mazda is a good car but not a patch on Honda.
Also they do suffer bad DPF problems.
A mate of mine drives from South Wales to Bristol every day and has his back to the dealers 3 times with DPF problems

P.S. Why do people like privacy glass? it's not a deal breaker, but as per the leather seats, I hate it! From the inside you cant see out properly. Reversing at night is a nightmare. And passengers dont get a proper view out either. And aesthetically it looks kind of elitist, unfriendly and git-like. WTF?

Have to have my word here being a tinter hehe. Privacy glass isn't just for privacy, doing so many motorway miles I'm surprised you havnt sought the benefits of heat reduction in the summer let alone vastly improved night driving with reduced glare from other headlights! Saying that if you can't see out properly the factory tinted glass is very poor or you have had c**p film fitted. Same goes for nighttime vision, there is no need to fit a super dark film that hampers vision to reap the benefits, there are multiple shades to suit different requirements. Oh and the greatest part of all (in my opinion) no fading or uv damaged interior!! Tints can be great if you are advised of the right product and shade for your needs ;-)

Have to have my word here being a tinter hehe. Privacy glass isn't just for privacy, doing so many motorway miles I'm surprised you havnt sought the benefits of heat reduction in the summer let alone vastly improved night driving with reduced glare from other headlights! Saying that if you can't see out properly the factory tinted glass is very poor or you have had c**p film fitted. Same goes for nighttime vision, there is no need to fit a super dark film that hampers vision to reap the benefits, there are multiple shades to suit different requirements. Oh and the greatest part of all (in my opinion) no fading or uv damaged interior!! Tints can be great if you are advised of the right product and shade for your needs ;-)

Interesting.

Reversing at night was certainly extremely hard in the temporary car that I had with privacy glass. And the view in the back is greatly dimmed for the poor passengers in the back of course... Regarding the headlights in the mirror, I agree that's a problem but surely there is a better solution! e.g. For many years you could just tilt the mirror and get a pale reflection of the 'real'/direct mirror's image. Worked fine for me. Although I notice modern cars dont have them so I ***umed there was some other way of dimming the mirror which I had yet to find! Oh well. But surely it would be easier/cheaper to put a bit of tint into the mirror itself..., no?

Yeah tilting the mirror works but with tints you don't have to even think about it, permanently glare free all the time . Been trying to find a film suitable for tinting mirrors but no such luck, all that I have tested greatly reduce clarity of the image to a dangerous point.

Anyway have you made any progress with the cars?

I only realised recently that I have the auto dimming mirror in the Beemer.. it does work really well actually. I just thought people had improved their driving behaviour and had stopped glaring their headlights :lol:

I think my wing mirrors are also fitted with this functionality as i never get any glare. It really is the little things that make all the difference to driver comfort.

Yep the auto dimming mirror is a great feature I had it on the 7th gen and my 8th gen as well

I only realised recently that I have the auto dimming mirror in the Beemer.. it does work really well actually. I just thought people had improved their driving behaviour and had stopped glaring their headlights :lol:

I think my wing mirrors are also fitted with this functionality as i never get any glare. It really is the little things that make all the difference to driver comfort.

Interesting.
How does the auto dimming mirror work from the user perspective (esp on an Accord). I may have one on my 2008 EX, not sure.
e.g.
Does the user need to turn it on/off
Does the user have any control over how much it dims?

J

i need to get one of these auto dimming mirrors ...motorway driving is nightmare with glare especialy when your ride height is at headlight level :lol:

Most of them are fully auto, they have a light sensor, which dims the mirror depending on the brightness.

I have seen some with one button to turn them off.

Its all in the Accord handbook. Certainly standard on the new EX models, so probably is on yours.

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/accordsaloon/#fullspecification

You shound see a sensor on the bottom of the mirror.

In fact in the handbook it says:

The inside mirror can automatically
darken to reduce glare. To turn on
this feature, press the button on the
bottom of the mirror. The AUTO
indicator comes on as a reminder.
When it is on, the mirror darkens
when it senses the headlights of a
vehicle behind you, then returns to
normal visibility when the lights are
gone. Press the button again to turn
off this feature.