What's new

8th gen manual gear change

fisher86

Reaction score
Car
Accord
Evening all, I was wondering if anyone can shed any light or put my mind at ease with this one, i recently bought a 2014 Accord diesel. This is my first Honda so not to sure about how the gear box feels in others.
Gear change feels a bit laboured at times especially from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. 4th 5th and 6th seem smooth but the others seem to "click" in and sometimes feel difficult to get.

Brought it to main dealer who said its fine and doesnt feel any different than any other Accord,

Anyone any views on this?

Thanks

Change the gearbox oil, genuine Honda MTF3. Quite an easy job to do.

That should resolve it.

The Accord has one of the nicest gear changes I've ever felt. You'll want worry if you feel a push back on the gear stick if you let off the throttle while accelerating. Other cars I've had felt floppy and almost fell in /out of gear to easily. Mine feels tight, with a slightly mechanical notchyness when you engage gears.

I changed my Gearbox oil last weekend, it doesn't take long probably an hour all told, if you have a pit it will be even faster.
The filler bung is at the top of the gearbox, just in front of the airfilter housing and will take a 3/8 drive, I used a long extension to reach it without removing the air filter housing.
The drain and level plugs are under the car you need to remove the alloy sump guard and the drain is again 3/8 square and the level is a 10mm bolt.
Genuine MTF is around €10 a litre here and it will take 2.1 litres to refill.

Cheers guys probably just being paranoid as Ive never spent so much on a car! Wouldnt have the tools or expertise to change myself so i will have to ask Honda to do it!