What's new

8th gen rear brakes

FarHanSolo said:
(some have suggested taking a few mm of the pads themselves but that can't be right!)

Yam66 said:
I wont be taking any mm's off the pads, theres very little left on them as it is :lol:
Apart from John, not much mention of DIY in the last few posts I know, but if anyone does, along with what John says, you sometimes have to file 1 mm off each end of some pads to reduce the length, even OEM ones are sometimes a tight fit, even with the caliper cleaned up

Welcome Yam66,

As you say worth getting the garage to check it first, should fix it for you under warranty.

If the rear pads are low, the piston has moved out a far way and seized I would say. Seems it worth changing the pads before they get too low on these cars, and strip and clean the brakes annually to spot any problems.

Dont despair if you do need a caliper, the Honda ones are £400 new, but you can get exchange recon ones for sensible prices here:

http://brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/HONDA/ACCORD/08-/ACCORD%20CU3~CW3%202.2%20DIESEL%20SAL~ESTATE/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders

I found the pads to be low (in my opinion) and quizzed the dealer, as he had already fitted new tyres on the back pre sale, he gave the excuse that the car would be due service in July so he decided to leave them, However he has promised a donation to the new pads and my labour to fit new ones. As we all know the Honda service pack £800 up front for four 12,500 visits and an oil and filter change each time is the sum total the rest being "checked" seems a lot of cash for very little effort. As the "new" car warranty expires after three years any other major faults will be down to you the owner.

Well lads,

a short update on my rear brakes.
I duly put the car into the local dealer on Friday, and as I suspected I received terrible service.

When I arrived to pick the car up I was informed that the car needed rear pads and they had ordered them in, and as for the pulling to the right issue, their gauges would not fit the car because of the front bumper being too big so nothing was done, quote "maybe I should take it to a Honda dealer"
I then drove the car home (approx. 10 miles) on getting out of the car I was greeted with the familiar "burning brake pad" aroma from the rear brakes. They hadn't even removed the wheels, I thought they might've stripped it all down and greased the slides etc. to stop the binding till the new pads arrived
Needless to say I am completely f**ked off with this.

This morning (Sunday) I removed the pads and slides etc. The calipers are fine, it was the pads that were sticking/stuck in the slides, so a wee clean up with a file and wire brush and some fresh copper grease she should be fine now, going out for a drive shortly to try her out.

I will be contacting the customer services of this dealer during the week to express my annoyance, but I doubt it'll get me anywhere. I will not be putting my car back into the dealer when the new pads arrive, id rather they just gave me the pads and I'll fit them myself, absolute joke.

I will take the car to the independent dealer in Aberdeen for the wheel alignment/wheel balancing to try and solve the pulling issue,

Cheers for now lads,

John

John, I'm gutted for you I know how hacked off I was with the whole rear brake aroma syndrome. Let's hope she's all sorted soon and not pulling you off, ooh er mrs, to the left or right either.