What's new

A couple of niggly things

keefster14

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 iCDTI
Hi,
Having had my 07 Accord i CTDI EX for a couple of months and now getting used to it, I could do with a couple of answers.

Firstly, Ive read about the 'diesel clatter' on here and i know what some people are saying, mines a bit rattly too. Is it worth just changing the oil to 0W30 anyway, will the difference be that noticeable? Also, is there something special about the oil filter? Its been regularly serviced, 2000 miles ago it had a full service, engine flush, oil and filter change, new air filter, its now got 68k on it, can I expect something major to go wrong soon??

Secondly, the drivers seat, it almost feels theres something loose underneath it sometimes, when entering a corner its almost like something is sliding across a bar. Ive checked the seat isnt loose anywhere and tried to get underneath to have a look, cant see or feel anything unusual? Any ideas?

The coin tray....I stupidly caught it with my knee when I was getting out and managed to break off the small spiggot on the inside of the mount, short of buying a whole new lower dash ***embly its gonna be a **** to repair, all ideas welcome!

Has anybody strengthened the boot floor? It seems quite flimsy in the centre, I carry golf sticks and trolley etc in mine quite a lot, concerned it may eventually bow.

Having never had a diesel before, is there anything I should be doing to look after it better, obviously I check the oil etc but should I be doing more. I have done quite a bit of the basics myself on previous cars, air filters, brakes oil and plugs etc, but what about on a diesel?

Im a bit of a stickler for a clean car, the inner trims on the rear door grab handles are a bit scuffed in a couple of places, I'd like to remove them and spray them as new ones are £40 each! Any tips anyone?

A mate of mine has a 06 plate Civic and has fitted a reversing camera that comes up with a picture on his sat nav screen when he engages reverse, did the whole lot for £37, all off ebay, camera from china and a lead for £25. Has anyone else done this, does it work? My mate was over the moon with his, his car is black so the cam was mounted under the boot handle and is barely visible. Would a cam mount at the bottom of the rear valance where the black 'rubber' strip is.?

Sorry to go on..I'll shut up now.... ;)

Hi Keith,

can't answer all your questions but yes definitely switch to 0w/30 oil (use our trader Lubetech for a great deal on 25L drum - enough for 4 oil changes) and only use genuine Honda service parts please (use our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke).

As for the coin tray, my brother's was broken too - I repaired it with a self tapper screw on the inside to create a pivot. you'll have to take the lower kick panel off (just one crosshead screw and then gently pop off the clips)

Have a good read of the diesel faults section to familiarise yourself with the common issues and if you're doing mostly local runs, every once in a while take it on the motorway to open her up a bit. At that mileage, have a look out for a cracked manifold...

Hi Keith,

can't answer all your questions but yes definitely switch to 0w/30 oil (use our trader Lubetech for a great deal on 25L drum - enough for 4 oil changes) and only use genuine Honda service parts please (use our affiliated dealer Holdcroft Honda in Stoke).

As for the coin tray, my brother's was broken too - I repaired it with a self tapper screw on the inside to create a pivot. you'll have to take the lower kick panel off (just one crosshead screw and then gently pop off the clips)

Have a good read of the diesel faults section to familiarise yourself with the common issues and if you're doing mostly local runs, every once in a while take it on the motorway to open her up a bit. At that mileage, have a look out for a cracked manifold...

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Is the manifold easy to access? I'd thought of putting a self tapper in to the coin tray but will take your advice on removing the panel first, ta.

To check if your manifold is cracked, just start the engine and sniff for fumes towards the rear of the engine. It's really as simple as that. If you can take the heatshield off, have a look for soot marks on the manifold itself.

The factory design was a two part cast and the welds between the casts would crack, the revised warranty part is a single cast part.