What's new

ABS light

tunstall

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord Tourer
The ABS light on my wife's 1999 Accord ES has recently started to stay on after the initial starting period. In addition, yesterday the needles on the rev counter and speedometer started to flicker for a few seconds and then both fell to zero. Also, the needles on both the fuel gauge and the temperature gauge dropped to zero at the same time. The ABS light remained on and is still on after start-up.

Any thoughts, ideas, cures, advice etc as my wife has had the Accord for 12 years and loves it to bits!

Thank you.

Check fuses, if they're all good, check the earth cables, make sure none of them are overly corroded. Beyond there, maybe start looking for signs of moisture ingress behind the dash.

It could be as simple as the main connector block under the dashboard working loose at one end, possibly through pulling out another connector nearby.

Our company van (a 52 Citroen) had strange things happen to the dashboard which turned out to be water ingress in the fusebox under the bonnet.

Ignition switch is my best guess.......try rocking key if the problem worsens.....if that cures the the instrument problem....you can then be confident about replacing the ignition switch.

You'll have to clear the ABS light before you decide there is actually a fault.

As a follow up to my original post - I followed my wife in my Accord Tourer to the local garage that we use, and her Accord died as we turned into the gate to the garage! Fortunately there were enough people to push the car into the garage. It turned out to be the alternator which was at fault and this has been replaced together with the alternator belt. The replacement is a remanufactured Bosch item. I mentioned to the garage owner that I had looked at prices for an alternator from Eurocarparts - and he was scathing about the quality of their stuff. I don't know what other peoples' experiences of Euro are but I usually buy oil filters and air filters from them but no major items like an alternator. My wife's Accord is back on the road and sailed through its MOT, although an advisory re underbody rust. As a twenty year old car it keeps going and it still looks good.