What's new

ABS sensor

Puppy

Members
Reaction score
Car
Audi A4 Avant TDi
Just replaced the rear left about 3 weeks ago, and after just over 2 weeks, the light has come on. Took it to my local independent garage, who confirmed with a code reader it is the left rear that's faulty (for nothing) . :(

Anyway my local Honda dealer wants me to pay him £47 for the privilage of telling me that a sensor that they have sold me is faulty, and £47 to fit a new one :wub: surely if the find it faulty it's up to Honda to pay the dealer for their time :eek:

If I had just bought a TV from Comet and it was faulty, I would not have to pay Comet to test the TV to confirm it's faulty, they would sent it away for repair or replacement at no cost to me. :)

I offered to remove the sensor so they can send it to Honda, but I was advised Honda will not touch it unless they have diagnostic report from a dealer :(

John, I don't agree with it.. but technically they're right because they didn't fit it or diagnose the problem in the first place.

What is the error you are getting and have you checked that the terminal is correly plugged in etc?

John, I don't agree with it.. but technically they're right because they didn't fit it or diagnose the problem in the first place.

What is the error you are getting and have you checked that the terminal is correly plugged in etc?

The guy who diagnosed the problem in the first place using a fault code reader, has told me on both occasions that it is the left rear. I've removed and checked the sensor twice this week and everything is good :D

It does sound like a faulty sensor then maybe mate :D

Yeah i nicked yours and replaced it with my old duff item when your back was turned while you were eating the Samosa's :wub:

Sorry to hear that Puppy.
My mate just had his replaced at a cost of around £190 from Honda. So far so good for him. I was going to replace it for him but in the end we decided to just pay the labout for fitting.

I reckon the only option you have now is maybe write a letter to Honda UK explaining your situation and see if they do something for you. Meanwhile I think you'll be paying out of your own pocket.

Dealers are rubbish sometimes.

Yeah CJ, it is a new OEM part bought from my local dealer.

I gave the delaer to old "loyal customer, how about doing it FOC as a good will gesture" bit, but it fell on deaf ears :(

I've called Honda UK to voice my concerns, they will get back to me in about 3 days :(

Well as some of you know HH had a look at my car last week, but were unable to do a diagnostic check due to a problem with the DCL. CJ kindly gave me a copy of a DCL circuit trouble shooting guide which I followed through as far as I could, and everything seems OK. Beefy was a big big help to me too, I pointed out some of the things that it could be to help me get to the bottom of it.

My MOT is due on the 18th, so I was in a bit of a panic to get it sorted. Took the car to my local Bosch garage this week, and they found out that it's the magnetic reluctor ring in the wheel bearing. Time to hold my hands up here, when I drilled out the old sensor, I didn't hoover out any of the swarf, as I had it in my mind that ABS set up was an open one, like this :-

ABS-hub.jpg

Not like this (this is the actual new one which has been fitted, I've highlighted the ring with red arrows, it is totally enclosed and incorporated with the wheel bearing)

IMAG0530-1.jpg

So all is well, and the car flew through the MOT. Just as well I held back from going totally bananas at HUK :)

:( nice one John. As per text last night... that's why I used the hoover :)

Is it a difficult part to change, the ring? And was it expensive?

19082010007.jpg

Really glad it's sorted dude. Did you get the DLC sorted too?

:( nice one John. As per text last night... that's why I used the hoover :)

Is it a difficult part to change, the ring? And was it expensive?

19082010007.jpg

Really glad it's sorted dude. Did you get the DLC sorted too?
It was the garage who changed it, so don't know. It's just a question of changing the whole bearing ***embly. I was charged 1.5 hours, that was for striping investigation and reassembly on Wednesday, then I took it back yesterday to have the new part fitted. So quite pleased with that @£44 per hr. DLC still goosed, but that can wait until another day!

The part was £88+vat (a blue print part)

Well you live and learn I guess mate, I almost left the debris in there too.. but when I had a good look at how the system works, I realised the hub is a totally enclosed and sealed ***embly so any crap in there will stay in there - hence getting the hoover out.

CJ's right, you need to visit Gunther to check the DLC - I can't think of any other explanation or check for continuity in each pin of the OBD connector from the ECU to the port.