ABS & VSA Fault, anybody got any advice?... please, cos I wanna scream

hikeifulike

Members
Reaction score
Car
04 Honda Accord 2.4
Update...

Right then, where do I start...

Decided to clean under the wheel arch, only to find that a bit of the arch collapsed due to rust, and possible damaged the rear wheel speed sensor after cleaning out the years of gunk.

VSA & ABS lights came on.

Had a diagnostics, and got a new sensor, Halfords, £173 fitted, as apposed to Honda's £160 just for the part.

Picked the car up and the Warning triangle came on, then the VSA light, grrrrrrrrrr... back to Halfords, did a new diagnostics and now they tell me something about [SIZE=11pt]”Sensor Logic Failure” AAAARRRCCCHHHHHHHHHH[/SIZE]

:angry: [SIZE=11pt]I SHOULD HAVE NEVER CLEANED THE WHEEL ARCH. :angry:[/SIZE]

oh and they cant do anything about it as the are not auto electricians.

[SIZE=14.6667px]I only wanted to clean the arch and now its body work, spray painting and electrics..... Im starting to think, I should push it into the river.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Ok not really, I love the car, but OMG. :([/SIZE]

Sounds like Halfords should be giving you a full refund.

Has the ABS light gone out?

Is your petrol model ?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

honda_saj said:
Is your petrol model ?
04 Honda Accord 2.4 ...under the OPs avatar

hikeifulike said:
Update...

Right then, where do I start...

Decided to clean under the wheel arch, only to find that a bit of the arch collapsed due to rust, and possible damaged the rear wheel speed sensor after cleaning out the years of gunk.

VSA & ABS lights came on.

Had a diagnostics, and got a new sensor, Halfords, £173 fitted, as apposed to Honda's £160 just for the part.

Picked the car up and the Warning triangle came on, then the VSA light, grrrrrrrrrr... back to Halfords, did a new diagnostics and now they tell me something about [SIZE=11pt]”Sensor Logic Failure” AAAARRRCCCHHHHHHHHHH[/SIZE]

:angry: [SIZE=11pt]I SHOULD HAVE NEVER CLEANED THE WHEEL ARCH. :angry:[/SIZE]

oh and they cant do anything about it as the are not auto electricians.

[SIZE=14.6667px]I only wanted to clean the arch and now its body work, spray painting and electrics..... Im starting to think, I should push it into the river.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14.6667px] [/SIZE][SIZE=14.6667px]Ok not really, I love the car, but OMG. :([/SIZE]
any idea what they used for the initial diagnostics ?

and I definitely don't understand the "auto electricians" thing, the codes should indicate the issue

edit:
and I have a Honda HDS and live 50 miles west of Peterborough if that helps ;)

If it wasn't the only wheel arch you cleaned it could be one of the other sensors (or all four.............................)

This is a bit strange.
I changed time ago all 4 speed/ABS/VSA sensors and there was any fault after change

Poslano z mojega SM-N910C z uporabo Tapatalk

Hi everyone, it's a petrol. I only checked the right rear wheel, so no others should be at risk... Fingers crossed.
As I'm not working yet, (recently relocated to Peterbrough, but promise of a job on the horison), I'm holding back, I have decided that when I am earning again, I will take my baby to Honda, for a complete check and to hell with the cost. I have also approached a body shop for a quote on checking the wheel arches and repairing and spraying them and other minor marks.
The guy at Halfords did mention there was other faults and I got the impression he wasn't too confident with what he was doing as he kept seeking advise, and as they charge £49 to diagnose, I insisted they check again, but they said I need a auto electrician.
So I am gonna wait for now, till I have some cash coming in.

freddofrog said:
04 Honda Accord 2.4 ...under the OPs avatar

any idea what they used for the initial diagnostics ?

and I definitely don't understand the "auto electricians" thing, the codes should indicate the issue

edit:
and I have a Honda HDS and live 50 miles west of Peterborough if that helps ;)

Hi
It was a friend of a friend that did the initial check for me, as he was doing it as a favour for a tenner, and he came up with the first fault, which led me to taking the car for the new sensor, I knew this would be accurate as I was messing with the rear wheel area cleaning out years of road muck, and I was quite rough. After the new sensor, Halfords only checked again, as I went back to them like I mentioned, but then they said they couldn't help anymore.... But I'm thinking I should insist on another mechanic.
If I don't manage, I might just take you up on your offer, I'll let you know.
Cheers for the support.

Sensor logic failure means the vsa reset procedure needs to be done, either with a Honda hds (or compatible) scanner or the "paper clip method" which is documented on here.
Your probably getting the 84-01 error code. I've used the paper clip method and can tell you it works as long as you clear the abs code first (also with the clip)
I've also used Honda to do it before I realised it can be done by myself.

Edit - you don't have to use a paper clip any suitable gauge of wire will do

Vehicle diagnostics is only as good as the person doing it (and that goes for Honda as much as Halfords)... as already mentioned, our cars have built-in diagnostics that can be initiated by shorting certain pins on the diagnostics port (4 & 9) and simply watching a light flash. It really can be that simple but, importantly, it's how the technician fully interprets the reported problem that really is the key thing.

However you'd be far better off taking up Freddofrog's offer... he has his own Honda Diagnostic System, the official Honda workshop manual and a lot of experience with his Accord (I've even let him run diagnostics on my diesel!).

Andyjdmteg said:
Sensor logic failure means the vsa reset procedure needs to be done, either with a Honda hds (or compatible) scanner or the "paper clip method" which is documented on here.
Your probably getting the 84-01 error code. I've used the paper clip method and can tell you it works as long as you clear the abs code first (also with the clip)
I've also used Honda to do it before I realised it can be done by myself.

Edit - you don't have to use a paper clip any suitable gauge of wire will do
Can u please explain how can you reu VSA reset procedure?

Does Acura/Honda USDM and EUDM have the same OBD2 port?

I'm not familiar with US variants, but the OBD port shown/highlighted in that YT clip looks exactly the same as my UK model.

If your after the port numbers look closely at the diag port with a torch, you can just make out the numbers for each pin

Jan Accord said:
Does Acura/Honda USDM and EUDM have the same OBD2 port?

OBD is a worldwide standard so the pin numbers will be the same.

Many of the videos confirming the dashboard flashes for ABS are from the US (or show LHD vehicles) so I would suggest wherever the car is, the plug in diagnostic is the same.

^^thas exactly what i want to know.
I just asked in the wrong way [emoji53]
The pin position in the port should be the same

Hi everyone, went back to Halfords yesterday and this is what they told me, my apologies, if this is all confusing, I actually made them right it dwn for me on paper.

The fault is in relation to the Steering Angle Sensor - VSA 84-01, Andy Collins, this is the same code you mentioned.
The said that I need to bridge two wires, pins 4 & 9.

They used a "LAUNCH" diagnostics model, and the original diagnostics was done on a "Bosch"

Any advice?

Is it really just as easy as bridging with a paper clip, I fail to understand how that makes everything all better, :unsure:

I want to take up "freddofrog's" offer, but I need to wait till I am working again.

Bridging the two pins takes the electronics of the car into 'workshop' mode but without the need of a diagnostics tool.

From there you can, with the use of the key and the pedals, access the fault codes, and these are displayed on the dashboard via a set of long and short flashes of lamp, which relate to the sensors that have picked up issues.

From there you can either clear the codes and try again, or in my case, replace the sensor that is at fault (in my case the LHF wheel sensor) and clear down the codes to check if this has fixed the ABS/VSA permanent lights when driving around.

hikeifulike said:
I want to take up "freddofrog's" offer, but I need to wait till I am working again.
Try the method described in #13 or #14 or #22 or #23 (all the same thing) and see if that fixes it before we resort to using my Honda HDS ;)

freddofrog said:
Try the method described in #13 or #14 or #22 or #23 (all the same thing) and see if that fixes it before we resort to using my Honda HDS ;)
I can confirm that the procedure within post 23 does not work on mine, it does not extinguish the lights on the dashboard, though it does make only the ABS light go out until the next time the key is turned in the ignition.
I know I'm in the right mode as I am getting one engine code (3-7) on the dash whilst the pins 4-9 are connected.

I will try the video procedure after lunch.

One question - is the VSA button supposed to be passive in feel ? I do not get any 'click' or feeling of much pressure when it is pressed, as though there is only a light spring behind it.

For clarity, the technique I linked in post #23 was in reply to hikeifulike as a way to address his 1-84/'code 84' problem, and so run a neutralisation procedure. It is not simply code reading.

This thread has become confusing!

As an admin elsewhere, I know the pitfalls.

I'm going to be drilling out the remainder of the sensor tomorrow, if I can find a 'sharp' 9.5mm drill in the shed. I've dropped the idea of tapping a smaller hole and trying to prise out the remainder as I doubt this is going to be successful without drilling below the sensor depth.

Have you tried this yet ?

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/22383-84-1-vsa-reset-procedure-without-hds/?fromsearch=1

That's said, you have to do step 1 (jump pins) then use the brake pedal to erase the abs code first then perform the vsa reset. You'll know when the abs has been removed as the light will flash then disappear.
You may have to do the vsa a couple of times, resetting the ignition each time as the timing has to be spot on.
When successful the vsa light will blink then disappear hopefully for good. Or at least until the next abs sensor goes!
Once you've done it you'll kick yourself as it really is quite quick and easy, it's all in the timing of the button presses