What's new

ABS/VSA lights

S777DAT

Members
Reaction score
Car
ACCORD ICTDi
I recently got the ABS/ VSA light show up on the dash, got confirmation it was the rear left sensor (rear passenger side -UK), so i ordered the sensor from HH, prior to taking old one out, I plugged in the New one, but the lights remained on. So i thought nothing of and decide maybe it'll go out when the new one is installed properly.

old one was stuck so ended up drilling it out, installed the new one. fitted the wheel back on, started the car set of and the sensor light went out! (yay! :D ), a few yards more and the lights came back on :huh: ,

as the story goes the lights go off as i start to move and then come back on and stay on!

this now happens all the time, got some very gud advice of Fahad of possibly rubbish being left in there or the hub has been nicked. ive vacuumed out as much as possible.

im at my wits end now as only thing would be to take the hub out and inspect,

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys

I recently got the ABS/ VSA light show up on the dash, got confirmation it was the rear left sensor (rear passenger side -UK), so i ordered the sensor from HH, prior to taking old one out, I plugged in the New one, but the lights remained on. So i thought nothing of and decide maybe it'll go out when the new one is installed properly.

old one was stuck so ended up drilling it out, installed the new one. fitted the wheel back on, started the car set of and the sensor light went out! (yay! :D ), a few yards more and the lights came back on :huh: ,

as the story goes the lights go off as i start to move and then come back on and stay on!

this now happens all the time, got some very gud advice of Fahad of possibly rubbish being left in there or the hub has been nicked. ive vacuumed out as much as possible.

im at my wits end now as only thing would be to take the hub out and inspect,

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys

sorry bro i cant help, instead have a question... how much was the sensor? i need rear driver side :(

thanks and good luck

I heard of this on another site. You need to get the sensors recalibrated, they loose the position once you reach a certain speed. For the other guy it happened to the VSA light came on every time he got over 25mph.

Take a look here VSA calibration it describes the same problem and explains how to fix it.

It's possible it might need a calibration but many have replaced ABS sensors on this site (myself included) and unless the sensor has been disconnected with the ignition on or the hub taken apart, there is no reason it will lose calibration.

The sensor itself is just that.. a sensor. It's taking a trigger from the pulsar on the inside of the hub and sending it back to the ECU. There's no reason to re-calibrate just because it's been replaced under normal circumstances.

Imi if you can bring it over to me this weekend I can look at calibration for you on my HDS.

You've drilled a bit too far in the hub and damaged the magnetic pulsator ring on the wheel bearing hub. New hub and bearing I'm afraid.

I know from experience!!!!

In the scenario in the link I added the owner had an accident below 10 mph. No sensors or units were replaced but the unit still needed a recalibration. Not sure why it would do that, especially as you say nothing was disconnected with the ignition left on. The unit might just have thrown a fit, but thought it an option worth considering as the OP suffers the same speed related symptoms.

Yep you could be right Matt, but I'm actually with Habib on this one and did suggest to Imi that he may have damaged the inside of the hub. If you read my thread on ABS sensor replacement, you'll see I used some tape around the drill bit to mark the exact length of the sensor so as not to drill too far... for this very reason..

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/356-diy-abs-sensor-change/

hey guys,

thanks for the replys and the info, really appreciate it, Fahad i did put tape around the drill bit for how far to drill, how would i determine if ive drilled too far, would it be few "mm"? a "cm" to cause damage to the pulsar?.

Fahad i could pop round possibly on a sunday on my way back from scarborough. if your available .

thanks again

Imi,

The sensor is only approx 1-2mm away from the pulsator so its very easy to do. For some reason I thought that it was about 10-15mm so I didn't think too much of it, I did mark my drill bit too.

You learn from experience and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Luckily I got my hub and bearing fitted for £70 so not too bad mate.

sorry bro i cant help, instead have a question... how much was the sensor? i need rear driver side :(

thanks and good luck

The sensor was about £161 ordered it from HH. cant remember if it was before or after discount applied, price also included delivery.

Imi,

The sensor is only approx 1-2mm away from the pulsator so its very easy to do. For some reason I thought that it was about 10-15mm so I didn't think too much of it, I did mark my drill bit too.

You learn from experience and hindsight is a wonderful thing. Luckily I got my hub and bearing fitted for £70 so not too bad mate.

in that case its more than likely that ive nicked the pulsator!, can i just ask what sort of symptoms were you experiencing that you changed the hub? or did you already know youd nicked the pulsator?

how much did the Hub cost? and where did you purchase it? is £70 a good price for the labour?

cheers

£70 to change a hub is a bit steep IMO. Should be closer to £40-£50 on this car for any regular garage.

Or do it yourself there is a good DIY on this by Salim

£70 included part + fitting. My local motor factors (PTC in Dewsbury) have a garage too where they also fit part. The part was £50 or £55 cant remeber and it was £20 to fit.

Like Brett says its pretty easy to fit , one the discs are removed its only 4 bolts you don't need a press or anything.

My abs light would go off and then come on at about 20mph. If I drove around all day less than 20mph the light wouldn't come on. The speed triggered it.

cool, thats not so bad then cost wise, im ***uming the the part was non oem? i rang HH today to ask about the hub. got quoted £122.74 after discount. lol hmmm if i could afford it id pay,

in hindsight should have just paid honda to change it, on the plus side its gonna cost me the same and i get a new hub too. lol

thanks for all the help guys, will post once its sorted.

Hello Guys. hope your all well,

I managed to order a new hub, it arrived yesterday, was a nice day today so i set to work with the change over of the hub, It was really easy and straight forward, found a chunk of the previous sensor lodged in there, just for the record i made a right balls of the pulsator ring. lesson learnt :blush: . wont make that mistake twice.

"Salim's" DIY for the hub was the way forward. :)

I would recommend if anyone is wanting to change their ABS sensor, they would be better of removing the HUB first, unless yr 100% your not gonna nick the pulsator ring! :rolleyes:

simples B)

^Agree, I replaced the rear sensor last week and removed the hub just to prevent any damage being done to it.

I used the method in below link to get my codes, worked a treat.
I can't remember if the codes listed are correct but you can find them elsewhere but the pins to jump and method for extracting codes is correct.
Found my issue was rear wheel sensor, got a new one for £15, replaced it, cleared the fault and all has been fine since.
To anyone changing the rear wheel sensor I would definitely advise removing the hub. It's only 6 more bolts really easy and stops all the messing around drilling and potentially damaging the hub.

http://www.vehix411.com/honda-abs-trouble-codes/