What's new

AC problem

RogerO

Reaction score
Car
09 Accord Executive
I have an issue with my AC. The 7,5 A fuse (the lonely one on the left side of the box) in the engine bay fuse box blows up after a short time. It has always been broken after the winters, and last spring i replaced it with a 10 A. When i replaced that with another 10 A today, the AC run with cold air for about 20 seconds, then the fuse broke. Is this a well known problem, and do someone have a tip for fixing the problem?

You either have a faulty relay causing the fuse to pop, or the compressor is on its way out and overloading the circuit. Also check all your Aircon wiring to ensure there’s no arcing or breaks.

You either have a faulty relay causing the fuse to pop, or the compressor is on its way out and overloading the circuit. Also check all your Aircon wiring to ensure there’s no arcing or breaks.
Unfortunately i suspect the second of these alternatives, since it runs for a short time. An electrical fault would leave the system dead all the time i guess.

It is not good practice to replace a fuse with a higher rating in this case 10 Amp. This has to potential to high light a week part of the circuit and possibly burn out the wiring! A motor or AC compressor in this case, if they have difficulty rotating have the potential to draw more current than the fuse can handle hence blowing after a short while. I would therefore concur with F6HAD and RogerO.