What's new

Acceleration juddering & black smoke out the exhaust

buckfusby

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord ex i ctdi
Any ideas folk i have a 7th gen 2.2 cdti tourer 07 plate 56000 miles Acceleration juddering & black smoke out the exhaust in low gears feels like fuel problem? no engine management light coming on cleaned the EGR valve (smoke only when putting foot down!!) when i get to about 40 it seems to smooth out ..did red line it once and got a system fault light come on but it went out before i got home? It is a lovely car but this is driving me nuts and i loath to put it into Honda any ideas ...i can do basic repair tasks like the cleaning of the EGR valve :wacko:

If the engine light came on then it will have retained an engine dtc code. Have it scanned and check what the error was.

Sounds like a knackered EGR valve.

We have a permanent solution for EGR OFF if that's the issue.

The juddering does sound like a clogged up EGR valve. Although your car seems to have extremely low mileage.
Your cheapest option would be to see if you can clean it out first.

There is a tricky bolt on the facelift EGR valves, if you cannot remove this bolt (i.e seized or rounded off) then the job cannot be done) and you may have to resort to other options like mapping it out or getting professional aid to remove the stubborn bolt. If you want ed to delete the EGR i think Fahad would need to remove the EGR valve anyways but i a sure he has come across EGR valves that can be a pain to remove.

Other things you can try is to clean your MAP and MAF sensors - these read incoming air and tells the ecu what to do. They can get really dirty and worth cleaning.

Remember to clean these sensors with special cleaner spray and dont use brake cleaner and do not wipe them physically.

Try running the car on vpower shell diesel, these ictdi's love this fuel and it does help.

Hope it helps

Those two 12mm bolts under the valve are definitely tricky but I have some special techniques for them now

THANKS GUYS STRIPPED THE EGR VALVE OUT OK ..GOT THE TWO TRICKY BOLTS OUT OK NOT AS MUCH GUNK AS I THOUGHT...WHAT ABOUT THE SWIRL VALVES? ALSO THE CAR GOES LIKE A POCKET ROCKET IN THE MORNING WHEN IT IS STONE COLD (IS THIS A CLUE TO WHAT IS UP?) HAVE BEEN USING V POWER FUEL I WILL TRY TO LOOK AT THE MAP AND MAF SENSORS TRIED TO GET FAULT CODES BUT EMPTY? MAY HAVE CLEARED THEM LAST TIME I LOOKED BUT DO REMEMBER ONE P CODE ...WHEN I LOOKED IT UP STATED MANUFACTURERS CODE!! SORRY ABOUT CAPS...NEED NEW KEYBOARD :lol:

Then it's almost definitely your EGR valve. The EGR doesn't come into operation until the coolant reaches operating temperature so if it's fine when cold it's likely the plunger inside the valve is mullered.

Either replace it or blank it and map it out.

We offer a mobile service, drop us a line for a quote.