What's new

Acceleration rattle :/

bear1 said:
No no, I said that I wasn't sure about blanking it off as new changes may be coming in to check this hasn't been blanked off during our yearly test.
Anyway for now I'll see how the solenoid experiment works out and then in 2 weeks see if swapping the injectors cures the issue also.
Sorry, crossed wires... I was meaning the injector swaps!

No worries.
I've made a list anyway to give him when the car goes in which apart from swapping the injectors and new solenoid I'll be asking him to give the DVD player a clean as it isn't reading the satnav disk :/
So I'll update the thread whenever I've got some new news.

Update:

So my issues seem to getting worse. I gave the car a bit of welly today and the thing started surging again (like the power was being switched off) it did this 3 times in a row and then straight into limp home mode. No EML light but the glow plug light wouldn't stop flashing.
Any ideas? I'm really starting to lose my patience with all these problems not even half a year into the purchase :(

Now that sounds exactly like a fuel filter problem (surging plus glowplug light). You said it was a new one, but maybe it's been fitted the wrong way round (quite easily done) or it's a poor quality version?

Get the codes read off the ECU... there could well be stored codes even though the MIL isn't on.

Your problems (I'm not sure it's just one problem) seem to have happened since the engine chains were replaced by the garage. It's quite possible that they have done something wrong... it is a fairly tricky job that requires a lot of engine things to be removed.

It could well be a faulty filter but tomorrow I'm going to Honda and buying the official one. I hope it isn't robbery when it comes to price.
Your theory could be correct, the problem with that is A) getting them to admit it and check it out FOC and B) it could cost me a fortune having them go through the whole process again as they will not know at which point things started going wrong.
The only issue though that popped up after the chains were replaced was the rattling. The MIL and surging was before that.
I have my hopes pinned on one of the injectors being faulty, the only explanantion I can think of that would cause the rattling.
I wish I could start saying I'm getting there :/

I'm with Jon on your latest probs I would say defo fuel filter make sure it's a denso I've had this before with cheaper version.

Denso? Isn't the filter supposed to be a Bosch one from Honda? Denso is the solenoid unit I believe.

Dave, it's only the facelift ones (like yours?) that have a Denso fuel filter... the early PFL models (like mine and Kevin's) need a Bosch fuel filter. I have no idea why Honda changed suppliers.

I bought the genuine fuel filter today from Honda. Paid 35e for it. Not too bad I suppose.
I am going to have it fitted next week when the injector swap is taking place, I'd love it if the fuel filter cured all 3 issues :(

Jon_G said:
Dave, it's only the facelift ones (like yours?) that have a Denso fuel filter... the early PFL models (like mine and Kevin's) need a Bosch fuel filter. I have no idea why Honda changed suppliers.
Cheers Jon learn something new everyday

Update time:

So here is how things look at this very moment. The fuel filter has been changed and the car isn't jumping anymore (my wife went to pick it up, so take that with a pinch of salt) and the solenoid was replaced, mechanic said he wanted to try a used one before burdening me with a higher cost before Xmas.
If the part is faulty then he will order the new solenoid and after Xmas we will replace it.
The EML light went on so now we are ordering the new solenoid.
Regarding the rattle. As expected, the injectors weren't coded into the ECU. He admitted his mistake and apoligised, coded them in and the car is no longer rattling.
I'm glad the biggest problem has been sorted and I'll be even happier when the solenoid is replaced.
For chaging the filter and recoding the injectors he changed 50e which I think was quite good.

Yeah I agree, very reasonable for 2/3 hours work plus the diagnostics but I think he charged that price due to his error.
I'll drive it tonight and see how it is, and then I'll report back. Is there any danger driving it with the faulty solenoid? I imagine it will drink more and be done on power?
Or can I just unplug it and wait for the replacement?

So I drove it and floored it a lot and it seems fine, slight rattle but nothing like it used to be.
No jumps or anything. I'll unplug the solenoid tomorrow and give it a try without it. Might run better in my opinion.

Drove it back to the mechanic today and he said he had a spare solenoid to try before we decide to buy a new one.
Swapped it over, FOC, and so far the EML hasn't come on. Only think is black smoke is prominent ,not terrible but visible.
Very happy that it's finally ending.

Sorry, I haven't logged in for a while.
Well funny you should ask as the rattle came back a while ago but with work and everything I just didn't have time.
So today the car was brought to another mechanic for dianosing and I got 2 fault codes this time :(

P2004 and
P2017

Now, the car is booked in for the 30th to have it done.
The mechanic said he will clean the valve and see if it cures the rattle as he said these 2 codes regulate the air getting into the cylinders so it could be because of this.
Fingers crossed really.
Has anyone had any further experience with these two codes producing unusual noises whilst accelerating?

Hello. I know it is old topic but im interested in solution of your problem. Is it solved now ?

Hello. So im fighting with similar problem. So far i was not able to record the noise as it is only happening when accelerating. But now i have HDS and I found that during "fuel rail pressure test" noise is there even on idle. Btw car is passing this test but in last stage you can hear this annoying noise. It is bit more like buzz on test and during acceleration it is more like rattle but im sure it is same noise.
https://youtu.be/v7Sprzlgx7w
Any ideas ?

I note from our PM exchange that your injectors were incorrectly coded, because they have been removed and refitted at some point.

Do you have any signs of injector leak anywhere? It should be bone dry at the rocker cover

No. It looks ok. It is dry, new seals were used. I will check one more time but when i took codes from injectors im sure it was fine. I will try also look under the bonnet during this test to pinpoint where is it coming from.

https://youtu.be/47vrhRYNsLY
one more video. So i tried few times and i believe it is injectors area. Not fuel rail etc but injectors... so do you think it is worth buying used one to swap one by one to eliminate wrong one ? Todays corrections on injectors 0.2 , 0.1 , -0.1 , -0.2 :) so it is odd but no other ideas then checking injectors

Hi all,

I've had a similar experience with my Civic.
I think mine started around 100k miles, took it in to Honda for timing chain replacement, which it needed (tensioner fully extended, chain guide broken), but I've still got this rattle, like balllus. It was there before I took it in.

If it was an injector coding issue I'd have expected Honda to see that.
They're suggesting the high pressure fuel pump as they hear the same noise when testing with HDS that I can hear when I accelerate.

Anyone have any thoughts before I fit and soil a brand new pump in a couple of weeks?

Cheers,

Sean.

Hi,

Just to wrap my issue up, replacing the high pressure fuel pump in the engine bay resolved the issue.

Sean.