What's new

Accelerator response

Bad Dog

Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2.CDTI
Hi, I acquired a 2.2 cdti tourer last year and on the whole very impressed with it. However there are a reward little niggles that need sorting. One of which may or may not be a fault, seeing as mine is the only Accord I've ever driven My previous car was a 1.9 tdi passat and as soon as the accelerator was pressed ( from the first mm of pedal travel )the engine would respond immediately. The Accord on the other hand when trying to blip the throttle on down shifts the accelerator seems to do nothing for the first half of the pedal travel, is this normal ?

Have you checked the cable is relatively tight as it runs up to the throttle position sensor ?

There is an adjustment in front of it to take up excess slack.

Have you checked the cable is relatively tight as it runs up to the throttle position sensor ?

There is an adjustment in front of it to take up excess slack.
Nope but will have a butchers tomorrow. Didn't realise that it actually has some cable, thought it was all fly by wire.

It’s hard to tell clearly from this post but I suspect you more likely have an egr issue, which normally results in sluggish throttle response and hesitation. Drop me a line if you want to book for a diagnostic session. Tightening the accelerator cable won’t do anything.

maybe you're not punching it hard enough? comparing it to a VAG's response I've always found the throttle of VAG units to be nonlinear(especially audi, no offense F6HAD :D), the first 10 degrees lets you use 70% of the powerband and then the latter 20 degrees gives you the 30% you have left. this is an opinion based on feeling so I can't back it up
I've always thought the accord was quite rev happy for a diesel, but then I am used to d4d's, duratorqs, duratecs and other psa clones/units

No offence taken mate, I’m just sharing my opinion based on my own experience with these cars. You might be right and it could be perfectly normal.

maybe you're not punching it hard enough? comparing it to a VAG's response I've always found the throttle of VAG units to be nonlinear(especially audi, no offense F6HAD :D), the first 10 degrees lets you use 70% of the powerband and then the latter 20 degrees gives you the 30% you have left. this is an opinion based on feeling so I can't back it up
I've always thought the accord was quite rev happy for a diesel, but then I am used to d4d's, duratorqs, duratecs and other psa clones/units
Mike it revs fine and pulls nice and smooth all the way through the rev range it just say the first 30-40% of the pedal travel doesn't seem to do anything ?

Check the throttle first. Almost every second hand car I've bought. including my current Accord, have required the slack taking out of the throttle cable.

Me 2 agreed makes a massive difference