What's new

Accord 04 CDTi starting problems

alloy36

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 CDTi
Hi all,

Bought my first accord yesterday and absoloutly loving it. However the car is slow/hesitant to start in the morning or after its been warm.

As I was driving it home, i pulled into a filling staion for some diesel. When I tried to start it up again it took about 4 seconds of the engine turning over before it started. It does ths everytime hot or cold. Otherwise the car is vry clean. It has done 88,000m and is the sport version.

I took it in to my mechanic this morning who diagnosed it as a weak battery. However, when i went to get a new battery the motor factors did a free battery test and said the battery was fine. I took it home to be sure connected the battery to my brothers 2.2 diesel merc by using jump leads. It was the same. so i guess it isn't th battery what else could it be?

Once started the car drives beutifully and will pull strongly through all gears and everything works perfectly. But as soon as i stop and restart it takes a while.

What else could it be?

There is no engine management light on. my mechanic told me if it was one of the sensors or a fueling problem the engine management light would come on is this true?

Also noticed that the engine temperature needle is always slightly below the midpoint on the guage even aftter a 20 mile drive. Is this normal? I always thought that all engines once warm are upposed to be at the centre of the guage,

Fahad - where abouts are you mate? I'm definitley interested in a remap once I sort this minor issue out.

Thanks all.

glow plugs or starter motor.? and the temp needle always sits just bellow half way on the accord.
sorry for the blunt reply. I am on my mobile. :)

glow plugs or starter motor.? and the temp needle always sits just bellow half way on the accord.
sorry for the blunt reply. I am on my mobile. :)

I don't think its the glowplpugs as the car does this when its hot too. ie switch off the engine and immediatley start it again. It could be the starter motor but how can i check it without taking it out or replacing it?

Thanks for your response.

I remember my mate had the same problem but in his petrol. Spark plugs were faulty, but I dont know how that applies to diesel?
dan

I would still be suspicious of the battery. Just because the merc was ok, doesn't mean it's ok for the accord.
If the rating of your brothers mercs battery is the same or near enough as the Accord why not try swapping them over for a test.

I can try this but am a bit wary of creating any problems such as loosing the stereo codes or anything else like that

Salams Habib, welcome to TA.

It's definitely your battery - it's relatively common on the ICTDI and the first sign is normally it taking a long time to crank. Don't buy a motor factors battery - ensure it's a new one from Honda with their 3 year warranty.

I'm ex Bradford, just moved out to Halifax.

Speak soon.

Yep, my battery checked out alright, but it did struggle sometimes, and would hold charge for very long without the engine running. Changed it for one at Honda Holdcroft and all is right with the world.

Dan mate, we don't have plugs :lol:

But we do have heavier mechanics for the poor battery to crank over, wonder if carpy oil might play a part?

Your codes should be fine bud, just swap them as quick as you can. And no one will worry too much about the mercs codes :p.

You might loose your preset stations though - can't remember whether I had to worry about mine.

Hmmm - my motor has just started displaying this very problem.

Do HH do discount on batteries and deliver for free?

doesn't yours still have a warranty on the new engine?

New engine - did not include a battery!

well that's just tight fisted :lol:

Hey even though i got a new engine, when you lift the hood it doesn't look like one!

I think they robbed me and only gave me half. One of the mechanics probably has the other.

Hi all,

just to let you all know, I got a new battery from Huddersfield Honda and all is fine. Starts on the button.
The weird thing was the existing battery was new and a good one (Bosch Silver), I noticed it was smaller than the Honda one and only 65Ah whereas the Honda one is 77Ah if I'm not mistaken.

Looks like the previous owner put a smaller battery in by accident or maybe its just me?

Anyway, thanks all. Just gonna wait till payday and then get the remap done....................can't wait

^Yea, that sounds about right, the diesel engine does require quite a bit of power to turn over so the smaller bosch battery would struggle. IMHO, the Honda battery is still underpowered for this car. When I replaced the battery in the diesel, I went for a Bosch silver with a higher cranking rating. Its always fine starting now.

Nice one Habib, happy days.

^Yea, that sounds about right, the diesel engine does require quite a bit of power to turn over so the smaller bosch battery would struggle. IMHO, the Honda battery is still underpowered for this car. When I replaced the battery in the diesel, I went for a Bosch silver with a higher cranking rating. Its always fine starting now.

When you say a higher cranking rating is the 'ah' you are referring to?

Well I just fitted the new battery I got from HH and it still has a problem starting when the motor is warm!

So what next Start Motor? Grrr thats gonna be costly!

Hi there,

A good cabby friend had a similar problem.

If i remember correctly it was some sort of temperature sensor. It was basically giving the ecu the wrong temperature reading which was using an incorrect air fuel ratio or something.

Im not sure if our cars have such a sensor. The cabby had an avensis

It wont be the starter motor. Give the new battery a few days to see if it performs better after full charge.

Faddy should know and will be along soon no doubt

Thinking about it the battery shouldn't effect the starting when warm either.
Problem starting when cold could be a battery problem, especially when the outside temp is low. Lead acid batteries don't work as well when it's cold.

I know rob, i didn't understand it either but the battery was the problem in my car and starting when warm was more of a problem than starting when cold.

It could possibly be a glow plug or glow plug relay about to go. Possibly a coolant temp sensor as this is common in VAG cars.. when the CTS fails, it causes the car to over fuel to compensate and also affects starting.

It may be one of those where you have to wait till it gets worse before you find out what it actually is..

Well I just fitted the new battery I got from HH and it still has a problem starting when the motor is warm!

So what next Start Motor? Grrr thats gonna be costly!

Err..

how long ago did you have a new engine?

Is there any warranty still on it.

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies. They didn't replace everything under the bonnet.

I'll have to double check to see if it included all the sensors that you have mentioned.

There is at least four temp sensors on the Accord from memory.

Two coolant sensors, a temp sensor in both the MAF and Map sensors

As Fahad says it might be a case of waiting for something to actually go, unless you get it in for diagnostics to check the sensors when warm.

I take it that replacing the battery, solved any cold starting issues, is it more when you have literally just stopped for a moment, rather than say half an hour?

Cold starting was and is fine. Starting when engine is warm/hot is the problem I am experiencing