What's new

Accord 2.2 icdti 2002' - can I mix 0w30 with 5w-40 ?

pegaz666

Members
Reaction score
Car
Honda Accord ICDTI
Hi guys,
My car has got 120k miles on the clocks. I bought it last year and for the first couple of months I haven't noticed any engine oil loose (i've got no idea what oil prevoius owner was running on).After 1 or 2 months I did change it for castrol edge 0w-30 (as manual says), but i think since then my car is taking a bit too much of it. I think I've toped up around 1l of oil within the last 5-6months (3.5k miles) I'm thinking of making an oil a bit thicker by mixing it with the same brand Castrol edge but let's say 5w-40 and during the next oil change just put 5w-40. Can anything wrong may happen by doing this? My oil level is on low and need to add something. Thank you in advance for your help.

You have a 2002 Accord Ictdi? Have you told honda they let one escape early

edgeoftime said:
This is not excessive consumption, top up with 0-30, expect 1litre per 600 miles.
? Please tell me that is a mistype and is supposed to read 6000 at least lol.

A litre every 600 miles is not right.

I agree that much is excessive but it's the
Guidelines most manufactures give.

It's more of a get out clause for them than anything else

Sorry guys my mistake it's an accord from 2004. I've also got a Volvo from 2002 diesel as well and that one will not take even a drop of oil... My Honda ate a litre already. I could swallow maybe 500ml every 10.000 miles. But since the last change around and 5k miles I did put a litre and it's on the minimum again. Car runs okay. I'd never ever bought a car that takes a litre of oil every 600miles that's radicoiulus. Do this icdti engines are really that bad in terms of taking oil??

Ok if you are not convinced on oil consumption then something must be wrong, My 7th gen did not use a drop between changes (every 6,000) so lets see if we can pin your excess oil use, 1. any leaks under the car? 2. any blue smoke on start up? 3 any blue smoke after using the engine as a brake, i.e accelerating after going downhill with foot off gas. If it is not burning the oil it must be leaking out. Hope you find what you are looking for.

It's unusual for them to use any more than 1 litre between changes in my experience

Agreed with Fahad. I rarely top up mine between changes. Maybe 0.5litres for every 8k

F6HAD said:
It's unusual for them to use any more than 1 litre between changes in my experience
Agree but will Honda agree? and at who's expense would they investigate? something is wrong but what?? leaks or burning or driving style.

No Honda wouldn't agree and that's my point really. In reality they shouldn't use more than a litre or so between changes, if at all.

When you top up use 0W 30, that is what Honda recommend for this engine, a thicker oil might not lubricate properly when cold and cause damage.