What's new

accord 2005 faults

wonderboy

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord tourer
Hey all
can i just tell you about my history with my 2005 accord tourer diesel with now 119000 miles on clock.
Last year i had the clutch and dual mass flywheel replaced which i see is a comon thing on the diesel models.
About two weeks ago i got exhasut fumes coming into the cabin toke it to local honda dealer and they said manifold was the cause and replaced it under warranty (result) however after they done that they road tested her and said the timing chain was rattling and this was also covered under warranty (result).however after i got the car back i could hear a whinning noise when you rev the engine which sounded like the alternator was packing up(local garage told me this was where sound was coming from). i have now changed the alternator and guess what i still have this whinning noie on rev up( i think its the timming chain) has anyone had this problem after timming chain job?
when i first got the car back i had the engine fault light come on and stay on took it to local garage and they plugged it in and the computer said incorrect placement of manifold valve.the garage reset the fault and this light has not come on since.
the car sounds like a tractor when you first fire her up but does calm down after a few mins.
strange
do i just get shot of this car??
but i do love my tourer :rolleyes:

do we know what oil has been used?

I'd take it back to the dealer who did the repairs. If it didn't sound or behave like it is before you had the work done then it sounds like it's something theyve done.

does the whining noise happen all the time or when it's cold? if all the time then something is amiss, if when cold then it will be the turbo spooling up therefore no cause for concern they all do it. Sounds like you bought a not very well maintained motor, and would lay odds that the service intervals have been exceeded, 12,000 miles for an oil change is far too far for any diesel, even a Honda. When/if you do get it right change the oil at 6,000 and the filter at 12,000. Mine is on that schedule as have all my motors, 159,000 and (touch wood) no problems whatsoever.

hi
The car has full honda service history apart from the last two services but correct oil used as service by local garage.the whining is there from start up and after the motor has warmed up even after a 200 mile journey.
got to say bit worried with it.the missus has just given birth to our second child and mine is the only wage coming in so dont have much money to spend on the motor.
the alternator was faulty but managed to change it and no problems since.you can hear the turbo wistle but the whining to me sounds like timing chain.
:-(

The whine is probably your aux belt, especially if its coming from the alternator/belts areas. A common issue on this car, and its the reason I had a new aux belt fitted when they did my chain as preventative maintenance as I expected it will go anyway at some point.

when i first got the car back i had the engine fault light come on and stay on took it to local garage and they plugged it in and the computer said incorrect placement of manifold valve.the garage reset the fault and this light has not come on since.

In respect of the above did you get the fault code, sounds like it could be P2004, which can be caused by an intermittent fault on a solenoid that controls the intake manifold control runner valve.

There is a huge thread here:
Huge Thread
Have a read of it, so you are aware of the fix, should it happen again and the code is P2004.

Also just to be certain, what was the correct oil used ?

At the end of the day, if you suspect that it is the timing chain, take it back to the dealer whilst the warranty work is still covered.

Thanks all for the info.just to update my car going to honda on friday 17th for them to have a look at. so will post update then :blush:

just an update.
Toke car o honda on friday they said whinning is a normal characteristic of the that diesel engine and is quieter than alot they see :unsure: .And the engine waring light was a inlet manifold valve with a swollen diaphram £207 to fix :eek:

just an update.
Toke car o honda on friday they said whinning is a normal characteristic of the that diesel engine and is quieter than alot they see :unsure: .And the engine waring light was a inlet manifold valve with a swollen diaphram £207 to fix :eek:
Ouch £207 for that what was the break down in price like parts and labour.

part was £116 complete valve ***y cant get diapram on own plus needs to be reprogramed when new part fitted :unsure: .but im not so sure about whinning noise as i nevered herd it before.i wonder if i could record it on video and post on youtube for you guys to here wot u think?
:(

As the guys have said, the whinning is prob caused by the alternator. I noticed this as well after I got the timing chain done. I think its because the engine is quieter afterwards that you then notice the alternator. On the motorway its the only thing I hear from the engine bay. But yes it would be a good idea to post a vid if you can.