What's new

Accord Ctdi wont start only bump or hot start to get it going

GAZB

Members
Reaction score
Car
HONDA ACCORD CTDI
Got a problem with my 2007 Accord Ctdi , stopped at the garage last night to fill up will diesel when I tried to start it it was just turning over , pushed it off the garage and luckily it was downhill bump started it and off it went , parked it up turned it off , tried to start it again and was doing the same thing

Got up this morning and did a leak back check , when the car was not running hardly any diesel was filling up in the bottles when turning the engine over

Did leak back test when engine was running and all bottles roughly had the same amount of diesel in each after a minutes running , nothing excessive coming from any injector

Tried starting the car up and it went after a good few turn overs after doing leak back tests

Replaced Fuel filter with genuine Honda filter as its not been changed since I bought the car back in December , the engine started again after a few turns of the engine

Just tried it again and it wont start

Car is giving no warning signs or limp mode when running , just have to start it by spraying hot start into the filter inlet or a bump star on a hill

Noticed over the last few week car was cranking more than usual to get it started

Any idea's

Knackered fuel pressure relief valve on side of fuel rail.

Thanks Fahad is this easy to get to and change

Remember this happening last year on my 04 Accord Ctdi , however when doing the leak back test one of the injectors was flooding diesel out compared to the other 3 , thought this would be the case this morning but it wasnt

Yep held on the side of the rail with a 17mm nut

Honda won't sell the valve on its own but you can buy from eBay or a breaker

Are the relief valves all the same from 2004 to 2008 on the Accord

Yes and same across all Honda Ictdi cars

All fixed , bought a rail this morning for £25 changed relief valve , Car starts brilliantly now

Thanks

Glad to hear this was fixed. Just to help anyone else with this problem I too was faced with the same symptoms (not starting, but would bump start) but the cause was different.

I checked the glow plugs to see if they were open circuit. They weren't.
The fuel injectors were not leaking back excessively.
The over pressure relief valve was not leaking back.

A Honda dealer diagnosed error P0193, which indicates an over-pressure problem, yet the symptoms displayed indicated that the problem was one of low pressure in the fuel rail. (And their proposed cure for this was to replace the fuel rail ***embly [they don't sell the rail components - only the whole ***embly], the cost of the part alone is an eye-watering £1300.)

I reasoned that the sensor which sends the pressure reading to the error management software, is the same sensor which effectively controls the pressure in the manifold. Therefore, if the sensor is reading a falsely high pressure, it both sends a message to record that there is a problem, at the same time as the ECU compensates for this reading by reducing the pressure in the common rail.

I replaced the pressure sensor switch (at the opposite end of the fuel rail to the over pressure relief valve) with an eBay procured second hard part for £37. This requires a deep 27mm socket. It was torqued to 90 ft lbs.

First attempted start didn't work, which I put down to air in the system. Easy start overcame that. Since then it has started first crank every time.