What's new

Accord, FN2 alloys and lowering

matsalka

Members
Reaction score
Car
CU2 K24Z3
I can't wait to go after the new wheels tonight and also for the weather to warm up little bit more so I can throw away my old 16''s with winter tyres and replace with 18'' FN2. Although when looking at the pics at the internet and reading forums, including TA, many have lowered their Accord to make them fit better.
Has anyone here in TA done the same? How much did you lower and what was needed for that? Some say only lowering springs are enough, while others also had to replace rear camber arms as well, but is the latter really needed?

Just my two pence worth....
The best spring only option will be Eibach pro kit. They're designed to work with standard dampers and are a good compromise between handling and comfort. Iirc they will drop approx 30mm. It has been said that springs will place more strain on your standard dampers though as they are "forced" into a compressed state (the lowering effect).
Coilovers will be expensive but each kit will come with four dampers and springs as a single unit. Can be a bit of a minefield as there are quite a few to choose from.
Any cheap dampers will not have adjustment to control ride height or comfort / stiffness (damping).
If I were in the market (which I'm not im 35 for Christ sake!) I would go for a set of Tein coil overs with the edfc controller allowing you to make adjustments a lot easier.
As for the camber kit I'm not 100 percent if there a must buy BUT you will definetley need the wheels re-aligned after lowering or you can expect some bad tyre wear and possibly crap handling .

Thank you Andy for such a complete answer! I'll dive into this once I'm done changing my crankshaft pulley which broke yesterday when I went after the wheels :blink:

I had just lowering springs fitted, and ran the car for maybe another 10k miles without getting the alignment done as I wasn't fussed about wearing the cheap tyres off.
But when I came to replacing my wheels and tyres ( with 19" wheels) I checked the tread and they were fine, fronts were even wear and the Rears had wore a little more on the inside. So the camber arms would prevent this, I myself have just ordered some from the U.S (cheaper!) as I don't want the uneven wear on my brand new tyres and the negative camber is more noticeable with the bigger wheels. I went for Apex springs as it lowers the front 40mm and the rear 35mm if I remember right. And like I said I've got 19" wheels on and no problems at all.

How much are the camber arms from the U.S. out of interest?

£49 and I'm not sure but I think there might be £11 tax to pay at some point.

Should be here this week.

So the FN2's got installed finally :wub:
Everything else is stock at the moment. I'm still deciding if I really need to lower it.

hi Matsalka

i too have got the 18inch wheels from a civic type r on my car.

I never bothered to get tracking done , and it wore out the front outer edges quite bad.

There was loads of tread left , in middle , but it failed MOT due to outer so worn.

So i replaced all the tyres and got the Hunter aligment done, and has been fine since, although car is on standard suspension.

Not too sure to lower it either with Eibach kit, but will have to retrack it if i do.

Hi Matsalka,

I have got some 18" wheels on mine, same size as yours. And I have fitted the above mentioned Tein Coilovers (Super Street £732). They are amazing, completely transform the cars handling. By the time you have paid for decent lowering springs, and then have them fitted, you are going to be looking at £400 easy. So I would recommend spending the extra and getting the coilovers. I am going to get the EDFC motors soon, so that I can adjust the shocks from soft to hard independently from within the car. It also gives you the option of setting the cars height exactly as you would like it.

They can be adjusted from soft to rock hard, soft being softer than standard to rock hard which is useless unless your on a track! :)

I also bought some Japspeed rear camber adjustment arms, I haven't had them fitted yet, although I have done the coilovers myself (easy job, give me a shout if you need any advice on fitting these) the camber arms will get fitted when I get my Geo (4 wheel alignment) done. Just waiting for the coilovers to bed in first. I would recommend that Geo is done whenever you make any changes to your car chassis. Most places will not charge you if there is no adjustment to be made, and local firms around my area (Leeds) do it for as little as £30.

Any questions drop me a PM.