What's new

Accord tourer tailgate problem

rhyeung

Members
Reaction score
Car
SPORT TOURER
Hi guys, now after I been searching for what went wrong as this issue isn't new for tourer owner, but I just couldn't find something similar!
Ok, now the tailgate is forcing down when I open it from outside, normally when you just open it and pull it up it will then goes up itself, now it force itself down!! I have to use a long stick to support it from the ground instead I believe! as i use the boot everyday for what am doing.
When I press bottom from fob, tailgate beep as usual and slowly open as normal but when It reach to the top, normal will stop, this time 2 strange click sounds like something stuck, then gate fall back down itself slowly and auto shut as it should :-(,
I hope guy point me as I will try to sort thing out tonight.. Many thanks

Ray

There are two gas struts which help support the weight of the tailgate and also ***ist the motors. If these have got weak with age the tailgate will fall down with some force and operate a bit like how you describe.

Well, that is what I thought too.. The gate you need to use a bit more strength to open it up, it won't open half way up for you any more, and when I leave it, the door will slam down hard..
But anyway I would search eBay to see if I have any gas struts available

Well, that is what I thought too.. The gate you need to use a bit more strength to open it up, it won't open half way up for you any more, and when I leave it, the door will slam down hard..
But anyway I would search eBay to see if I have any gas struts available

Let's update this, I've been googling and found a website dealing all sort of spare parts, so when I search has struts, the website were search all the dealer and email me the quote, so I got 7 emails with around 40-60 pounds shipped, aso I bought from a good reputation one and got them in 2 days, for £60shippe I've got a pair of good condition OEM gas struts which isn't bad price at all, once got them, I just can't wait to take the old one, well this time I've knew what the problem was, the left gas sturt one end snapped so the bolt was broken in the hope, I spent a while use screw extrator to took the broken bit out, and just replace the left one and done! Full working tailgate again!

Ok, the website that I use which I feel is very good! www. partsgateway.co.uk