What's new

Adding to the collection..

Tdutton

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2 i-CTDI
So I currently own a 7th gen cdti tourer and am now looking into the idea of getting a 6th gen (maybe 7th) auto saloon/hatchback. Heard some pretty good things about the 2.0 petrol in terms of 'bulletproofness'. Is there anything in particular to look out for on the 6th gens and roughly what is a good price for a nice example?

I can never remember any of the 'common faults' as I havent suffered from any faults yet, usually the ignition switch springs to mind, otherwise the usual car checks apply, make sure the gerabox is smooth, the engine is smooth etc, oil has been changed reguarly, they are rock solid cars and a bargain on the used market, you should bag a very good example for around £800-1000, avoid going over 1k unless you find a real minter, as the book value i snow very low on these cars.

Check the footwells and particularly the boot/spare wheel well for water ingress. Seems quite common on here (mine certainly) for the hatch hinges to leak, rear light housing seals to need a clean/seal (and there's a locating pin pokes through the bulkhead, needs sealing), also the plastic liner behind the doorcards to become detached. All easy fixes so don't worry - good bargaining tool!

Not sure if it's possible but if you can, check the condition of the bulkhead. If not, atleast look at the underside of the car for any excess rust on anything structural. Mine's nearly done 100k and (the floorpan atleast) is still mint.

Other issues are clutch cylinders. Put the car into first, handbrake off and leave the car and the clutch pressed. If the car starts to crawl or engine note starts to change without moving the pedal, that's a sure sign of a cylinder leak and will need a new one. Do this of-course somewhere where it's safe, quiet and open.

Other than obvious used car checks, I think the above posts are pretty good info.

^ The clutch thing might also be best to do it on a level ground? as the car would roll back or forth if on on uneven surface.

Avoid 6th gen autos. The 6th gen auto box is a known problem.

Also check the steering fluid is not down. No stains near the car. The systems have been known to develop leaks. Not difficult to fix. But annoying when you get it home to discover a leak.

The drop links are weak, front and back, but again cheap and easy to replace. If you find one with rattles and noises from the back end, could just be roll bar bushes and drop links.

They are fantastic cars. Very cheap to buy and yet reliable. Plus I like the conservative styling. The two litre VTEC is smooth, quiet and economical. The only downside with these cars is that the road tax is £250 a year - quite often half the value of the car !

A mk1 Type v with the 2 litre engine is an excellent choice.

They only develop leaks when they are old, rather than an inherit problem. Most of the issues you will check are age related problems.