What's new

Advice for Newbie buying a 2.4 EX

Vinylwasp

Members
Reaction score
Car
MG ZT 190+
Hi Guys, I just joined today as I always like to get the low down on any new purchase from the experts on a forum like this before I pull the trigger on a new purchase.

I've been toying with buying a CDTI but have resolved I don't do enough miles to warrant it right now so have my eyes on a 2007 EX i-VTEC from a nearby main dealer. It's a little pricey at £7250 but it does come with a 1 year main dealer warranty, has FHSH, Penta wheels and has only covered 47,654 miles.

I rang today and asked about the 3 previous owners and it's history and the story is this. Owned by Honda (a directors car the salesman said) from March to June 2007, then sold by the 2nd owner in Nov 2007, and then the 3rd owner had it until Mar 2010, and finally the 4th owner sold it in Oct 2012.

So with this number of owners it sounds like a lemon right, so I asked about it's history? In the 3 past MOTs there were no advisories other than tyres. So I asked about service history and all 5 stamps have been with Reading Honda. Ok so what work has been done? At this point the really helpful salesman at Reading Honda went downstairs with his phone and looked up the full service history for me one record at a time. It's had no warranty claims at all, had parking sensors fitted when owner 2 bought the car in Nov 2007, and has had nothing but discs, pads and tyres since then.

So what should I look for when I go and have a look at it?
Are there any model specific areas prone to rust, drains that block, wheels that corrode, water ingress areas, oil leaks and things like that I should look for?

Any observations from the photos guys?

Thanks in advance. :D

ps: I own 4 Honda bikes and the missus drives a 8th Gen Civic

Mechanically the petrols if looked after are pretty much bomb proof. The rear arches are prone to rust so look on the inside of the arch. Rear calipers can seize but usually its just a proper clean that's needed. The alpine audio/sat nav system can have issues so make sure thats working properly. You'll be paying full RFL and mpg isn't brilliant. Paintwork could be better so it needs careful washing etc. Thats about it I think. They're very well engineered and I'd choose the petrol over diesel any day

What he said.

2.4 Accords are very reliable, one of the most reliable saloons out there.

but its an auto box.. :( ... that engine needs a nice manual box to enjoy its full potential but maybe that's just me.

if you are happy with an auto box it looks a very good buy, albeit a bit costly its at the upper end of price for that car at its end of the life before the 8th gen came in. (for a 2.4 ex model)

auto also has worse mpg than manual, my 2.4 Accord gets easily 400/420~+ miles on long runs, about 300 or so on city driving but its good for a 2.4.

Mechanically the petrols if looked after are pretty much bomb proof. The rear arches are prone to rust so look on the inside of the arch. Rear calipers can seize but usually its just a proper clean that's needed. The alpine audio/sat nav system can have issues so make sure thats working properly. You'll be paying full RFL and mpg isn't brilliant. Paintwork could be better so it needs careful washing etc. Thats about it I think. They're very well engineered and I'd choose the petrol over diesel any day

Thanks Stu, pretty much what I expected, sounds like there's nothing untoward to be worried about specifically.

auto also has worse mpg than manual, my 2.4 Accord gets easily 400/420~+ miles on long runs, about 300 or so on city driving but its good for a 2.4.

I've thought about this but really a need an auto to calm me down a little so I think I'll actually get better mileage with the autobox. I tend to drive manuals like I'm riding a sports bike so they see more revs than when I'm driving an auto. An auto always seems a little less urgent to me, so I drive them less enthusiastically... ;)

My current drive is a manual MG ZT-T 190+ which I totally love and I had 2 early 3.6L AMGs before that so 30mpg will be a vast improvement.

Cheers

I have the auto and it's fine, no doubt the manual will be quicker and easier to make use of the vtec zone but nice smooth changes and seems to be sensible in it's choice of gears. You can always slip it across and use the 'manual' which will let you hold on to the revs, I don't use it much but it is handy when overtaking a car or two..

If you like the car and the deal is right for you then I wouldn't think twice. Of course there'll always be the odd failure, I had to change my starter but it's rare and quite frankly when you hear about what problems other people have with their cars I'm glad I have the Honda.

I have the auto and it's fine, no doubt the manual will be quicker and easier to make use of the vtec zone but nice smooth changes and seems to be sensible in it's choice of gears. You can always slip it across and use the 'manual' which will let you hold on to the revs, I don't use it much but it is handy when overtaking a car or two..

If you like the car and the deal is right for you then I wouldn't think twice. Of course there'll always be the odd failure, I had to change my starter but it's rare and quite frankly when you hear about what problems other people have with their cars I'm glad I have the Honda.

Yeah, I was thinking of a Gen 8 but I only do 4000 miles a year driving to the station every day and I like the Gen 7 so I think this is right for me. Speaking of other cars and their failure rates this article I read recently when researching my next buy completely blew my mind: German cars 'among worst for engine failures'

Imagine buying an Audi and being one of the 1 in 27 that experiences a complete engine failure. :mad:

Of course Honda was #1 with an engine failure rate of 1 in 344 or 0.27% :p

I'm off to see it tomorrow .
Cheers.

My mate's Dad has a 2.4 Auto. Gets about 240 a tank around town :huh: . I get 400+ from my manual ;) .

good luck with it, i would not be worried at all about it. i'm sure you could get quite a few hundred quid off the price if you have the readies available.

give the body work a good check for uneven panels and don't be afraid to check every thing inside it that it works, every switch.

them cars are extremely good, in fact i would be more tempted to get a facelift 7th gen over an 8th gen as i cant justify the price difference really.

i have had several cars in my time, this is the best so far by quite a long shot.

good luck with it, i would not be worried at all about it. i'm sure you could get quite a few hundred quid off the price if you have the readies available.

give the body work a good check for uneven panels and don't be afraid to check every thing inside it that it works, every switch.

them cars are extremely good, in fact i would be more tempted to get a facelift 7th gen over an 8th gen as i cant justify the price difference really.

i have had several cars in my time, this is the best so far by quite a long shot.
Thanks for the vote of confidence toffie_pie, I went and had a look and she's a really nice one. Very straight, nice colour combination, and very clean and well kept interior. I ended up trading in the wife's 07 Civic for a good price, and negotiated a new set of rear tyres, a body care kit (supposedly worth £399 but really worth about £150), plus she comes with a years Honda warranty, so paid top dollar but came away feeling ok about it.

Now I'm looking forward to picking her up next week.

Wow! Congrats man. Get some photos up as soon as you get it.