What's new

Advice on Turbo

Nigel B

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord iCDTI
Has anyone had any turbo problems and does anyone now the best place to source one? The garage are 99% confindent that this is what it is in that the variable veigns are sticking hence the intermittat symptoms. I was also wondering if a fuel addative could help?

Nigel

Nigel mate i haven't heard much about turbo problems with are cars but have a look at the post on jerking in gen 7.sorry i can't post the link im on the mobile it will give a good idea of your symptoms

Nigel, turbo problems are not unheard of but thankfully rare.

The most recent one I can think of was a chap called Keerat, but I don't think he's registered here.

Can I ask, what oil have you been using in this engine and have you followed regular changes, and at what intervals? What mileage is the car now on?

Mate if its the turbo, you can easily get a used one off ebay. Some cheap stuff there:)

most problems i have experianced with the turbos on i-ctdi engines has been oil related and either shown itself as a whistle or black smoke. they are variable vein and no doubt under certain circumstances they could block up and cause a boost problem. i had this with my audi a3 1.9 tdi and was on good authority it was a common problem for that model. i am not sure what garage has looked at your car but using a HDS you can carry out a boost test which may rule out any problem with the turbo. what are your symptoms by the way?

The car has had a regular service at Honda so I suppose the proper oil,
Adam the symptoms are strange too see thread
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/612-help-intermittent-loss-of-power-icdti/

Nigel, sorry to burst that bubble but it's widely known that Honda dealers don't always use 0w/30 oil. This is why I always say the Honda stamp in your book is worthless without parts receipts to back it up..

hi Nigel b sorry for the late reply mate, in all honesty I would double check their diagnosis (as Honda can miss-diagnose)and the best way would be to take it to the boys at hh(Honda hold croft),ive heard nothing but glowing comments and have experienced their helpfulness first hand, and can truly say they're the best dealer iv ever dealt with(and many on here would agree)turbo problems are rare with Honda's Nigel, and not exactly easy to find(brand new)most of them are refurbished(If there is any)but the company supplying you with a refurbished unit will most likely ask for yours in exchange(if they have one)or just refurb yours...(found this out when Honda misdiagnosed a noise coming from my mates pre facelift accord diesel and said it was turbo, when the mechanics took it off they said it was perfect and it didn't need changing...)so in all honesty pay the HH boys a visit and see what they say mate..hope this helps Nigel b(again many apologies for late reply) mo..... :lol:

has your engine light come on during these promlems? there are some known problems regarding the ictdi but it seams reading your other thread the honda dealer your dealing with has covered most of them. it is a tricky problem to diagnose without seing the car and i can ***ure you ime sure the technition looking at your car has demolished a few walls hitting his head in frustration. all dealers aim to fix cars first time round however good or bad they are, your car must be somthing of an enigma.

An enigma what a great discription, I am not ure where to go from here, the only turbo fault i can undrstand is tha the variable weins are sticking some how so was wondering if anyone else has had similar symptoms of if they thought a strong diesel claener could help?

Due to pic the car up on Tuesday, without the fault being sorted, but kinda out of pocket.

Nigel

I used these guys a few months ago to refurb a turbo off one of my combo vans http://www.midlandturbo.com/ they do a national service, mine came back looking like new for about £180 inc vat but if it needs a total overhaul it costs around £400 iirc with a years warranty. After speaking to them they told me lots of main dealers throughout the country use them.

Hi Nigel,
Just wondering how you got on. I just re/joined recently. I had a faulty turbo earlier this year which presented itself as intermittant very poor performance (pretty much the same symptoms as yours)... and then later (quite a bit later) it started whistling which confirmed the turbo was shot. I believe the problem may have been there a while, slowly dropping on power.. but when the car had a new timing chain and fresh set of injectors the problem really made itself known (I guess with everything else running super efficiently the problem became more obvious). Im not sure what caused the turbo issue itself though. I personally have kept on top of the oil level and changes etc... not sure about the previous owner who put approx 40k miles on the car before I got my hands on it. OR it could have been dirt in the engine from when I had to remove the sump (long story), but I did fill the engine with fresh castrol edge 0-30, ran it for a day then flushed the oil out with new edge turbo diesel 0-30... The car did also have a replacement exhaust manifold 5-6 months before the turbo went.. so it could be anything... (ps - may car has a standard map etc)

Honda originally quoted me £2366 to supply (parts = £1500+vat) and fit a new turbo, but after some negotiation (another long story) with Honda UK, they agreed to drop the parts cost to £475+vat (I think!), and the labour cost would be calculated by the dealership. It turned out I needed another new exhaust manifold which was replaced at the same time under warranty, so I ended up not having to pay any labout costs - so total job cost was approx £460 - which Im perfectly happy with.

Its worth speaking to Honda UK before comitting to a 3rd party new replacement/refurbished part.