What's new

Air con fault via centre console

elmo298

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord 2.2cdti
Hi guys,

So I was driving from Cornwall back to ol' Leeds and my air con stopped working unfortunately. I took it to the garage who said the compressor wasn't working on initial inspection. They have now done an actual diagnostic and found that the A/C itself is working but the message to turn on is not being sent from the dashboard/centre console itself. Via the screen which everything else works fine you turn it on and there is no response, also with the air con 'auto' etc. for climate control below it on the centre console. We've debated to avoid heavy costs potentially rigging a switch that will just turn air con on via a separate relay. Any ideas if this has been done before, or if this problem has a less costly solution?

Hiya,

Yes they've checked all the fuses and everything is working OK. They can get the compressor to kick up and blast cold air through the vents if they manually connect a feed to the relay, but the engine light comes on if they do and the fans don't turn on. So essentially it's something in the master console somewhere not sending the signal. So I'm wondering if anyone out there knows anything to do with this sort of problem in relation to the console. I haven't gone in any further as it'll become very costly and I am just changing jobs so money is scarce for a month or two. It's not recieving the signal from inside car unfortunately, but it does suggest that mechanically it is sound.

Are you sure it's not the relay itself? And this is a standard factory headunit right?

F6HAD said:
Are you sure it's not the relay itself? And this is a standard factory headunit right?
He said it could be but it'd require further investigation which I can't afford currently. Yes mate it's the standard headunit. Bit unsure on what to do.

Just get a relay, either new from honda or even a breaker. Always eliminate the easy things first.

Relays do go faulty on these. I've never heard of the headunit failing in this way though.

Check it's the right part number first, petrol and diesel might be different relays.

Yeah will do, cheers my man! I'll be getting in touch within a couple of months hopefully to get that sneaky remap sorted :ph34r:

The other thing that goes faulty is the pressure switch. Do you have access to a honda diagnostic? You can manually check the compressor is triggering via the ecu which should help determine if the headunit is working

Rang the garage and they said that in their notes if they put a feed through the relay the compressor kicks in, but not the fan. They said in their opinion it's definitely something in the interior of the car somewhere that's not sending a feed to the relay. Man I wish I had a clue when it came to cars!

Could be the headunit, it would just be the first time I've personally heard of one failing.

Yeah I couldn't find anything that anyone has had anything similar regarding the console. It works for everything, including heating/adjusting speeds of fan, just not cooling