What's new

Air conditioning not working

Yes, in common with a lot of todays cars, trying to separate a plug and socket isn't easy, especially at distance, poor visuals, and not really understanding how they are locked together
Try a large blade screwdriver between plug and socket, twisting screwdriver to put pressure on the plug plus have a small screwdriver, probably which has a slight bend near the tip, use this to prod the small aperture in the plug or lever the outer body area
This may ping them appart, but it is a bit fiddly working through a grill
A friendly garage man may do it, or tell you how they are locked together

thanks.

where is the tab that needs pushing in as i couldnt see or feel one.....

i could just get a grip of the plug with my hand but as access is restricted didnt have the room to feel too much or even pull it! ill try the screwdriver trick and see how it goes. as long as i know where the tab is :huh:

i actually popped into honda today and asked them how to seperate them but all they were interested in was charging me labour to get it off. i told them i was going to try and clean it but they didnt get it and kept stating the cost for labour will be the same to replace or clean:( they are hard work sometimes and couldnt get it in their head that i wanted to clean the sensor while it was still on the car......

ah well!

Main dealers are not interested in helping you out as a DIY enthusiast, it's all about protecting knowledge and making money
Keep at it, it will come appart and even if you break a bit of plastic off it won't prevent it going back on and after a good clean

does anyone knows how to test if the pressure switch is good?

I have tested AC compressor directly from + and it works. so AC compressor is good. Blows cold air.

Trying to disconnect pressure switch, makes the AC compressor to run for 1-2 sec and turns off. on reconnect the same AC works for 1-2 sec and shuts off :)
The AC system was low of gas and it was refiled before doing these tests. So the last thing is pressure switch or connection to it? how to test it?

Last edited:
does anyone knows how to test if the pressure switch is good?

I have tested AC compressor directly from + and it works. so AC compressor is good. Blows cold air.

Trying to disconnect pressure switch, makes the AC compressor to run for 1-2 sec and turns off. on reconnect the same AC works for 1-2 sec and shuts off :)
The AC system was low of gas and it was refiled before doing these tests. So the last thing is pressure switch or connection to it? how to test it?
I have "watch topic" set on this thread, hence I've seen your post (it's an old thread).

The aircon on the UK 7th gen petrol is much simpler thn on the UK 7th gen diesel. I think it's because they use the same system in the diesel throughout Europe. The system is actually a "climate control", which is very different from a bog standard AC. On a climate control system, the compressor will still come on intermittently even when the temperature is set to heat up the cabin in cold weather, because the compresor will "pull" the huididty out of the air. The danger of this type of system in icy weather is that the piping can freeze up. On the diesel, the system can cope with this, but not the UK petrol version.

This means that the pressure switch on the diesel is in a different position in the system from the UK petrol, and, it is a different sensor i.e. your car is a diesel, if you're not in the UK, it might be the same as the UK diesel, in which case the sensor is not simple. However, the sensor on the UK petrol is very simple, just a single on/off switch.

For more info, read through this thread. http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

Why not, I will just add to the thread.
Went on holidays on thursday but day before that I decided to get my A/C sorted as it was warm. Went to local dealers, paid for the "special" leak test just in case and they did the recharge. They noted that condenser was corroded but still no leaks and all working fine. Awesome I thought, long drive without A/C would be a nightmare...and it was :(. So family in the car and on the way to dover I decided to switch it on for a bit as it was getting bit to hot inside. Nope, no cold air for us. I just had to stop the car for a moment and calm down :ph34r:. Yeah, not working at all. All of the gas leaked out overnight. Can't believe leak test didn't show anything, I actually find it impossible. I also remembered that previous recharge didn't last long, probably it was gone quickly after the regass.
Anyways, I had booked a full service at my local Honda in Poland some days earlier on Monday (Kinda trust them, been using them from the beggining and always received a good service and discounts) so I just added A/C to the list and see what comes out of it. Just hope it is not the new condenser ;/
Dan

Hello everyone.
I have the sane issue. I got pump tested by short wiring, and it starts. system is gassed up. My mechanic told me to drive for few days and switch may start itself. I tried shorted switch today but no results . Fan does not work also.
Do you think that there can be any other fault than the pressure switch. I just don`t want changing all parts one by one.
Many Thanks

Did you try the relay and cleaning the connectors as mentioned in this thread?

Did you try the relay and cleaning the connectors as mentioned in this thread?
Get the plug of the switch behind the lower grill (will be tricky), short the plug and check air con/ fans all start up
If they do then it's either a duff switch or dirty contacts as was the case with ours, clean the contacts, put a bit of vaseline on and replace plug, then try again
If still no joy then it's the pressure sensor switch
My money is on the contacts

Thanks. I went yesterday to check connection. Did short all pins on switch and nothing. Fan doesn't work too. didn't check the relay yet. Will do it today. As you said it is probably the switch.

if the comp is not working its nothing to do with re gassing.

did you check the fuses/relays?

if the pump is not clicking after shorting the comp relay to the battery then that is the likely fault.

have you used the a/c alot, if you have not then its probably siezed.

Compressor was checked by mechanic and it is clicking. I have car for only few months so can't tell . First tried it on few weeks after bought it. Could be not working for some time. I just filled system with gas because I thought that the switch is sized and pressure may force switch to work. My questions was if I need to take gas out of system due to change the switch.

Compressor was checked by mechanic and it is clicking. I have car for only few months so can't tell . First tried it on few weeks after bought it. Could be not working for some time. I just filled system with gas because I thought that the switch is sized and pressure may force switch to work. My questions was if I need to take gas out of system due to change the switch.
If you have checked that you have 12v at one of the contacts on the two wires that go to the switch and then having shorted the two wires, the system still doesn't work, then it's pointless in changing the switch at this stage, the fault lies elswhere
Leave it linked and look at other parts of the system
If and when you do get to the root cause and the system runs, then remove the link and plug it back into switch
If it stops working the switch is also at fault
If your system is up to pressure have you tried a continuity check across the pins of the switch, would have thought they would be C/C if the switch is still good

Thanks kow. I have tree pins on switch and do not know which one to bridge. One is red stripy next,yellow stripy and grey.
On the top , after shorting relay (same way as on the pictures on other thread) I got glow plug light flashing.
Looks like everything works except that switch.

Thanks kow. I have tree pins on switch and do not know which one to bridge. One is red stripy next,yellow stripy and grey.
On the top , after shorting relay (same way as on the pictures on other thread) I got glow plug light flashing.
Looks like everything works except that switch.
Hi Tom, lucky for you, I have "watch topic" set on this old thread. The answers are
1. yes it is the sensor that's fauly
2. yes the system will need to be re-gassed if the sensor is replaced. If you do it yourself, take it somewhere to have the gas removed first, the gas is at high pressue and if you start to undo piping with it pressurised, I can ***ure you that if you're not wearing safety goggles, you could be blinded when you get it in your eyes.

Copying and pasting from post #36 in this thread ....

The aircon on the UK 7th gen petrol is much simpler than on the UK 7th gen diesel. (guys, don't confuse the two systems)
I think it's because they use the same system in the diesel throughout Europe.
The system on the 7th gen is actually a "climate control", which is very different from a bog-standard AC.
On a climate control system, the compressor will still come on intermittently even when the temperature is set to heat up the cabin in cold weather, because the evaporator will "pull" the huididty out of the air (and this neds the compressor to compress). The danger of this type of system in icy weather is that the piping can freeze up. On the diesel, the system can cope with this, but the UK petrol version will not handle clmate control in icy weather so well when the piping in the engine compatment is iced up. It will only work properly on the 7th gen petrol when the engine compartment has warmed up a bit in icy weather.

The pressure switch on the diesel is in a different position in the system from the UK petrol, and, it is a different sensor i.e. your car is a diesel, in which case the sensor is not a simple switch (hence the 3 wires). The sensor on the UK petrol is very simple, just a single on/off switch. Again, the diesel sensor is not a switch. Again, the system in the diesel is a defrost pump down, the system in the petrol is not.

For more info, read through this thread. http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

cheers, Brian

Thank you. Yes I will go to get gas vacuumed first(not letting it out to atmosphere) and then the switch change.
This is perfectly presented thread, and I probably saved couple of hundred quid thanks to you.

^ no problem, your issue is so similar to other aircon issues on the diesel model, I just had to step in ;)

for the record, this thread we are in effectively ended at post #34, because after that I wrote "diagnosing aircon problems" --> http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

"diagnosing aircon problems" was originally pinned in the main DIY section where it could easily be found, but some bright spark in TA has rationalised the main DIY section and fielded a lot of useful threads into the more obscure section 7th-Gen-Accord/7th-Gen-DIY :(

after "diagnosing airon problems" was moved, I see that this thread we are in became alive again in June this year, and I've pointed people to "diagnosing aircon problems" twice now .....not because I wrote it, but because the difference between the petrol and disel systems clearly emerges in "diagnosing airon problems" thanks to contributions from diesel owners who worked hard to check the aircon pressure sensor on the diesel .....and they found that it was the cause of their system not working

You were right about this switch. Aircon freezing cold now. Everything works. In my 2.2 diesel it was very easy to change. I did it through front lower grill, only had to take reg plate of to get better movement with spanner. Very happy . Thanks again.

Great result fella

You were right about this switch. Aircon freezing cold now. Everything works. In my 2.2 diesel it was very easy to change. I did it through front lower grill, only had to take reg plate of to get better movement with spanner. Very happy . Thanks again.
Do you need to regass after you change the switch?

Yes. I had to regas system. My was done by friend of mine who repairs milk transporters. And it happened that he has same green gas i needed :). It costed me £20. But next year I gonna clean the system properly.

my air con has just stopped working took it to my local air con place to check gas all ok relays are working also on starting the car and switching on ac compressor runs for a split second then stops have also disconnected the ac fan from comp to check it is running all ok has anybody got any ideas could it be compressor packing up ?

my air con has just stopped working took it to my local air con place to check gas all ok relays are working also on starting the car and switching on ac compressor runs for a split second then stops have also disconnected the ac fan from comp to check it is running all ok has anybody got any ideas could it be compressor packing up ?
here is the DIY check guide http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

note that system in diesel is very different from system in 2.4 petrol

If you go through the guide, you are more likely to find out why it stops running

here is the DIY check guide http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/10382-diagnosing-aircon-problems/

note that system in diesel is very different from system in 2.4 petrol

If you go through the guide, you are more likely to find out why it stops running

Thx m8 went through this all ok but still no AC got to be electrical fault some where else just got to find it or auto electrician can find it :)

Thx m8 went through this all ok but still no AC got to be electrical fault some where else just got to find it or auto electrician can find it :)
does the compressor stop when you over-ride the system with the wire with the engine running ? (note not to leave it in for too long)

if it does stop like that, then the compressor has internal protection, over-current on the clutch solenoid and over-pressure relief (you'd hear that). Maybe the over-current relief is tripping.

if it doesn't stop like that, then its probably the pressure sensor, though on the system in the diesel it could be anything else in the whole control system

When pressure sensor is faulty,it won't engage fan but compressor might be ticking. There only four electric connections.
Relay
Compressor
Sensor
and buttons on dashboard.
Have you got correct pressure?