Air Intake Explanation

chesjak

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord I-ctdi
Hi Guys
Honda Diesel engine.
The air filter unit has a pipe that goes down to the air intake down by the front left wheel arch and inside the engine compartment . This connects to a box before that. That box, for want of a better word, also has a large pipe that comes all the way from behind the top half of the engine. Is this called an expansion box and if so, what is its purpose.

The reason I ask this is because when I changed the air filter this time, it had a lot of what was obviously oil residue from fumes coming into it. The only reason I can see for this was that dirty air was comming from the engine into the oil filter via that box down by the air intake at the front wheel.

I changed this filter regularly and I have never seen the filter so dirty from exhaust gases before.

Any help would be apreciated.

Regards

Hi Chesjak. I'm not 100% sure but I thought the air intake was a straight feed into the air filter then into the "engine". Are you thinking about the intercooler?

I would not have thought it normal for oil to be getting into the air filter. Is the car going ok, any loud whistles from the turbo or sluggish? Might be an intercooler hose leaking or something?

i can't quite understand the parts you are refurring to "that box" sounds like you could be meaning intercooler but not sure any chance of some pictures?

I think you're referring to the resonator box. It's purpose is two fold.
To smooth out any turbulance to feed the engine with smoother air and in turn makes the air intake quieter.
HTH

Best thing is take a pic and show us, we could be guessing all night here lol