What's new

Airbag Recall

Grandad

Members
Reaction score
Car
iDTEC Tourer
I have just received a letter from Honda UK informing me that my 2014 Accord Tourer is part of a safety recall regarding the Takata airbag. This is as a result of well documented problems worldwide, where the airbag has deployed with such force that the metal inflator casing has ruptured, causing metal fragments to be propelled into the vehicle. Vehicles will be recalled as soon as Honda has sufficient parts to replace the airbag inflators on affected vehicles, but this may take 'some time'.

As far as I am aware the recall affects all 7th Gen and 8th Gen Accords and Accord Tourers, as well as numerous other Honda models. Some of these are quite old, and if records are not up to date, it may prove difficult to notify the registered keepers.

I had a 2008 Tourer EX and was notified by Honda even after I had imported it to Ireland.
They will be able to contact owners even after all this time by using all kinds of records not just the tax office.

I had this done on my 8th gen a few months ago. I took it to Chiswick Honda and got them to diagnose the cracked EGR pipe at the same time. They replaced that too under extended warranty.

Yeah, takes em about an hour to do. Might as well book it in while the dealership have the part available.

I got a letter today telling me it's happening, and that they'll be in touch once they've got some stock.

saj said:
I had this done on my 8th gen a few months ago. I took it to Chiswick Honda and got them to diagnose the cracked EGR pipe at the same time. They replaced that too under extended warranty.
Why not Brayley Saj, are they dodgey?

edgeoftime said:
Why not Brayley Saj, are they dodgey?

Brayley are about 10 mins away from me but I really dont like their attitude. There was a guy in the parts department - Jason, he was alright to deal with but left a while ago. I just feel they are grumpy, unwilling to help, and just out to get every penny off you. Don't get me wrong, all dealers need to make a living but this one just doesnt feel genuine to me. Holdcroft Honda are the best from my experience but way too far for me. Chiswick Honda are decent too.

saj said:
Brayley are about 10 mins away from me but I really dont like their attitude. There was a guy in the parts department - Jason, he was alright to deal with but left a while ago. I just feel they are grumpy, unwilling to help, and just out to get every penny off you. Don't get me wrong, all dealers need to make a living but this one just doesnt feel genuine to me. Holdcroft Honda are the best from my experience but way too far for me. Chiswick Honda are decent too.
Not had any dealings with any main agent yet, I do my own thing, the lad has a Dueaville and does go to Chiswick for bits and pieces. I tell a lie the previous owner of the accord had gifted me with the last of a 4 year service schedule,I went to Brayley to get that done. not sure what if anything they did, but since then all I have done is change the oil and filter, fit new pads, new fuel filter, and 50.000 miles on had no problems at all. Brilliant motors, cannot understand Honda cutting the UK out of the running and leaving us no choice, I do not want a racing car (civic) nor a van. (SUV.), when I get the invite to fix the air bag I trust they will do it right?

Honda UK was largely responsible for the discontinuation of the Accord, as a Japanese made vehicle they didn't want to sell imported vehicles and preferred to sell the UK made Civic and CRV.
I don't understand it either but they made the call.
Mazda and Volvo still sell large Saloon and Estates so someone must be buying them.

edgeoftime said:
Not had any dealings with any main agent yet, I do my own thing, the lad has a Dueaville and does go to Chiswick for bits and pieces. I tell a lie the previous owner of the accord had gifted me with the last of a 4 year service schedule,I went to Brayley to get that done. not sure what if anything they did, but since then all I have done is change the oil and filter, fit new pads, new fuel filter, and 50.000 miles on had no problems at all. Brilliant motors, cannot understand Honda cutting the UK out of the running and leaving us no choice, I do not want a racing car (civic) nor a van. (SUV.), when I get the invite to fix the air bag I trust they will do it right?
I'm the same John. I always do everything on my car myself. Its only the stuff that is dealer only is when it goes in.

I have an appointment for this Saturday morning to get the passenger airbag done takes an hour or so to do I am told.

Hi all,

does anybody know if the new air bag has to be coded to the car, and if it does will this upset any tuning map that may be there ?

Cheers, Pete.

Just had mine done this weekend, took an hour.
The part is the size of a Redbull can.

so having no long joined i just came across this post today and rang honda. no recall for my car.

Maybe worth re checking on Honda UK web site, had my front passenger air bag replaced on the re call just over 2 years ago, then rechecked the other day on Honda UK site, a recall for the same air bag, contacted Honda UK, they checked and said it needs to go back again, the first recall air bags have a short service life (approx 4 years), the new ones will last longer, going back to a dealer soon.

I posted info on the Gen 7 section regarding the airbag and recall info thrown up on the Honda site about a month ago.

The tourer must be connected wirelessly in a way they don't mention in the manual since last weekend, the airbag warning light flagged up. :(

Just before the MOT as well, which isn't nice.

Mine needs doing apparently according to the MOT check .gov website.
My wife has a Nissan note, same year as my accord and has the same recall so not confined to hondas.

Look out for your glove box light not working after the recall.
From another thread.

Ok got it sorted i had to remove the complete glovebox. The light itself is part of the hole glovebox unit £330 plus I got confirmation off Honda parts before I decided to take a look myself.

Its the same light that's fitted in the foot well panels but orange not red.

Luckily I found the wire had come out of its clip & this could only be to do with the airbag recall I had & many have had this year.

So if you find your glove box dark then chances are your Honda technician has forgot to attach or clip the wire fully home.