What's new

Alloy Wheel Cleaning

simontown

Members
Reaction score
Car
2004 Accord Tourer
Hi Guys,

Planning on ordering some new hardware for my detailing kit and interested in your thoughts ;-)

I would like to be able to remove the alloys to give them a real good clean up, already have a torque wrench, and will sort a breaker bar, but saw these on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-2-Dr-Socket-Set-3-pc-Alloy-Wheel-Professional-Tools-/180611108784?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a0d42cfb0

What size are the wheel nuts? Wanna make sure I get the right set, but look like a good idea to avoid damage.

Also planning on investing in a trolley jack although don't want to spend a fortune, would a 2 ton jack be enough for a diesel tourer?

Great to hear what you think...

Simon

Wheel nuts 17mm, a 2 ton jack is good, but get axle stands under her as well. Oxalic acid is good for cleaning the wheels so I am told, just brush it on leave 5 minutes then rinse off. Do not get it on yourself or any bright metal it will dull it. Just looked at those sockets an ordinary one will do, it does not touch any part of the wheel.

Acid based cleaners IMO have their use if the wheels are really bad and its used one off, if used on a regular basis they will make a mess of the finish. Since using wheel sealant I use valet pro bilberry about once a month heavily diluted. The rest of the time I just use a mitt and normal shampoo mix.

Acid based cleaners IMO have their use if the wheels are really bad and its used one off, if used on a regular basis they will make a mess of the finish. Since using wheel sealant I use valet pro bilberry about once a month heavily diluted. The rest of the time I just use a mitt and normal shampoo mix.
Well Andy iv taken your advice i took the wheels of today for a good clean.They came up very good except about 2" at the back of the wheel wear there is in ground dirt.I gave them a good 3 coats of poor boys for now.
So iv just ordered some valet pro bilberry to remove that stubborn dirt when it arrives.
Tell me can you use this stuff neat to get clean very stubborn stains.

Used this stuff a few times now and on really grubby wheels have been using neat, working in with EZ brush and Swissvax Wheel brush then leaving for around ten mins.

Think I will still need to clay to get the baked on brake dust off though. ;)

Regards

Simon

Cheers Simon i did try clay but didn't shift it maybe the clay is a bit old now :huh:

Cheers Simon i did try clay but didn't shift it maybe the clay is a bit old now :huh:

Hmm, how bad are they Brett, my Epsilons are certainly cleaner thanks to the Bilberry, but I'm going for a refurb, as in honesty I'm not sure I can make a silk purse.... :lol:

The Bilberry is pretty gentle, you may have to try something more aggressive?

Any pictures?

Regards

Simon

Hmm, how bad are they Brett, my Epsilons are certainly cleaner thanks to the Bilberry, but I'm going for a refurb, as in honesty I'm not sure I can make a silk purse.... :lol:

The Bilberry is pretty gentle, you may have to try something more aggressive?

Any pictures?

Regards

Simon
There not that bad its just the inner back 2 " when i took the wheels off.Sorry no photos at the min ill try and get some up.

Like I said Brett sometimes an acid based cleaner has its uses on the very odd occasion ;)

acid based concrete floor cleaner will do the trick just be careful and remember to seal them with wax or super resin after

acid based concrete floor cleaner will do the trick just be careful and remember to seal them with wax or super resin after

Owch, Acid based concrete floor cleaner sounds good for stripping off the paint before a refurb but way to aggressive for me :eek:

Any way went for the refurb in the end....

DSC_0849.jpg

DSC_0851.jpg

P1020928.jpg

Wow! They came out amazing! Who did them and how much was it, if you don't mind sharing?

Wow! They came out amazing! Who did them and how much was it, if you don't mind sharing?

Cheers....See below...ur lookin at approx £50-00 a corner from Lepsons....but be sure to deliver and collect yourself, and agree the finish and standard you are lookin for.....

Breaker bar? You sissy :lol: