What's new

Alternator busted

Salim

TAF Member
Reaction score
Car
Accord
For a couple months been noticing a internittent noise on cold mornings, only for a few hundred metres. I was sure it was alternator bearing or water pump.

Driving back on the motorway, h/u goes berserk, sat nav turns off, 3vsa lights turn on, battery starts to drain badly but i was off the motorway now.

Anyway as i was parked at lights, few miles from home the noise went and normal service resumed. I let it idle for a while at home before switching off to replenish the battery.

Will get a replacement tomorrow, are they easy to access from looking at it seems ok?

That's weird mate.. so it went berserk and now it's ok?

These are "smart alternators" which I think is not such a good thing. Have you hooked up a multi meter to it yet to see if the battery is getting a decent kick from it?

sometimes 'esp' on a cold start up, theirs this nasty clatter. but it comes from the aux belt area. Almost like really worn bearing or summat. it would go after a min or two of driving with a pronounced click! yesterday it must of been doing this on the m-way and i didn't notice. My guess is the alternator when making this noise isn't charging, as when my electricals started to die, i was stationary and i heard the loud click as if something went back to where it should of been and power was restored, the noise went away too.

Fahad its doing it much more frequent, im not driving it until i get the replacement alternator in.

Dan; thats interesting you say that, as i think its rated at 130amps and i feel as if it puts out different rates of power according to load. I'll check with a MM in the morning mate.

Is yours a Diesel? In theory the engine doesn't need the battery or the alternator to keep running, just to power the lights and tertiary electrics - lord knows how all the engine management works though.

I remember a year or so ago a builder mate had is Jap import Mitsy Space Wagon thingy (with the bells and whistles) suffer a Stop solenoid failure with the engine running. Being a Diesel auto it couldn't just be stalled and he had close to a full tank. He spent a lot of time on hte North circular that day :) :eek:

Lols mate, yeah it is a diesel, don't think thats still the case as its electronic fuelling etc... nowadays

CJ isn't there a recall or TSB for alternator pulley or bearing?

Is it an easy job access wise? i've done a few back in da dayz may give it shot myself.

At the end of the day its a wear and tear item so not fussed.

da da daaaaaaaaaaarrr

not wanting to look lazy i did a quick search and found this post by beefy on the right track

accord cn1 and 2 2004 - 2008 had an issue with the belt being over tight and putting strain on the alternator bearing. the idler pully was scrapped and a new shorter belt used, routing the belt a different way. i belive not all accords are affected but if you have got a noise from the belt area its the first thing i would check. has it got an idler pully?....if so suspect the alternator bearing. this applyed to crv and frv diesels aswell of the same year.

Thankyou mate, so is this FOC or do i pay? It seems they've done away with one of the pulleys too.
Will get in touch with honda in the morning

Thats cool i'm sure i have the old formation on the belt, so will look into getting honda to re-route the belt. I'm just thinking if its too gone anyway may still need a new alternator as the TSB doesn't say anything about charging problems.

Sal, if you replace it yourself, please do a DIY for us :D

what a plank just undone the alternator, and theirs not enough room to take it out, damn diesel enginess nothings straight forward. Will have to remove 1. the bumper 2. maybe the rad to clear access. will update, any pointers fire away.

ok try this

Remove the two bolts securing the expansion coolant tank , and remove it ..then disconnect the condenser fan motor connector,remove the two bolts on top of the condenser fan shroud, at the bottom of the shroud loosen the two bolts then pull the entire ***embly out. Once its out you will see a fork cut out on the bottom the shroud so when installing the bolts will guide you easily.;)

Disconnect the alternator connector at the alternator and move the harness out of the way ..nearly there ;) remove the the four bolts, and remove the alternator oil shield. then you should have easy access .. job done.

Was that guide courtesy of HH or have you just got an amazing memory? :lol:

ok try this

Remove the two bolts securing the expansion coolant tank , and remove it ..then disconnect the condenser fan motor connector,remove the two bolts on top of the condenser fan shroud, at the bottom of the shroud loosen the two bolts then pull the entire ***embly out. Once its out you will see a fork cut out on the bottom the shroud so when installing the bolts will guide you easily.:lol:

Disconnect the alternator connector at the alternator and move the harness out of the way ..nearly there ;) remove the the four bolts, and remove the alternator oil shield. then you should have easy access .. job done.

The mans a genius, I did think it would clear easily if the shroud was out of the way.

Thanks man

had this fault happen to me this morning, dash was like a christmas tree with flashing light,`s air bag ,abs,vsa, lights all flashing radio cutting out all gauges dropping ie rev counter sitting at 0 when reving, fuel gauge reading empty . took it to my mate`s who is in the trade he reckons alternator goosed, as i`ve only had it for 4 month or so phoned my local dealership and got my car dropped off just before closing time to night, there going to get a look at my car tomorrow with there conclusion,fingers crossed the work will get carried out under honda used car warranty??

gimme a chance to finish man :lol: i'll write it up once done, after Eid......

Seems alternators go on Accords as much as Vectra's.........

result, picked the car up tonight,it was a goosed alternator so new one fitted under warranty!!! happy day`s .... ;)

Salim, how easy did you find it to back the tensioner off to get the belt off? Going to put the shorter belt on mine and take the idler off.

Paul thats good news save a few bruised knuckles or a dent in the pocket!!!!

Salim, how easy did you find it to back the tensioner off to get the belt off? Going to put the shorter belt on mine and take the idler off.

I removed the alternator so the belt was easy to come off, you can remove the pulley and the belt will come off that way too. lols didn't see no tensioner tbh, i've been busy so will finish it off saturday and report back.

David i've written a diy on this now, hope its of use to you

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1683-diy-alternator-change/page__p__19961__fromsearch__1#entry19961

Excellent writeup mate very helpful, how much was your alternator if you dont mind me asking.