What's new

Alternator noise?

j5nsr

Members
Reaction score
Car
accord icdti tourer
Hi everyone i have a slight rattle which comes and goes on idle seems to be coming from the alternator the car drives fine no charging issues?
Also i would like to know if the honda civic 2.2 ictdi has the same alternator?
p.s my car is still got the normal aux belt ie around tensioner has that got anything to do with the rattle?

There is a TSB from Honda which relates to this issue. If you do a search you should be able to find it in this section. The route of the auxiliary belt causes premature wearing to the alternator bearings which sounds like your problem. The TSB corrects this by removing a pulley wheel and changing the path of the belt. Take it to Honda to have the TSB correction. If you're lucky Honda UK might put something towards the alternator as well.

Check this link alternator Looks like its only covered under standard warranty.

Matt

The coming and going rattle could be the alternator pulley clutch as it sounds the same fault as mine had. I bit the bullet and bought a new non genuine alternator and fitted that rather than forking out the money for a dealer only pulley and paying someone to fit it.

Sounds like alternator clutch, will get worse with time until it doen't engage and will stop charging. remedy is replace alty clutch (£70) or replace whole unit.

Here's a DIY on how to change it.

http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/1683-diy-alternator-change/page__p__19961__fromsearch__1#entry19961

Thanks guys i think i will go for a whole second hand alty with 6 mnths warranty for £84 all in posted to my house!

Sounds good Nas - you should mention to everyone that your car is a testament to Honda diesel reliability. Over 200k miles, remapped and used as a taxi ;)

you sir are a legend!

and quite possibly Cj's own personal anti-christ. :lol:

Hi fahad yes thanks to you for the remap the car feels like a different car and at 220k i can't ask for more i bought it at 140k and had it for 3 years and only paid £2500 for it!!

p.s i still need to know if the civic ictdi alty will fit or is it different?

I'm getting a quite audible rattle only when I startup the car, for about 2 seconds. Then it's gone. This only happens if the engine is cold. If I start the car while it's still hot, there is no noise.

Could it be the alternator/alternator clutch?

mine did the same when cold, but would have to be driven down the road before the noise went away. When the noise goes, there is a distinct CLICK type of sound where the clutch engages again. If it is the alternator making the noise its early days and will gradually become more apparent.

There is a TSB from Honda which relates to this issue. If you do a search you should be able to find it in this section. The route of the auxiliary belt causes premature wearing to the alternator bearings which sounds like your problem. The TSB corrects this by removing a pulley wheel and changing the path of the belt. Take it to Honda to have the TSB correction. If you're lucky Honda UK might put something towards the alternator as well.

Check this link alternator Looks like its only covered under standard warranty.

Matt
The revised route seems to reduce the lap of th belt on the alternator pulley are there any belt slip issues following re-route of the belt ?