What's new

Another driveshaft snapped!

2.4_Roar

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord MKVIII 2.4
Took my car to have a wheel bearing changed and there was an identical 55 plate 2.4 manual in the workshop with 94k on the clock with a snapped drive shaft. [SIZE=6.5pt][/SIZE]

Mine is the exact same model except two years older and with thousands more miles on the clock. Uh-oh. [SIZE=6.5pt][/SIZE]

www.dropbox.com/s/2z1uugdpvsif3nr/IMG_20160321_171414034.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com/s/owoepv5twj31qsb/IMG_20160321_171422887.jpg?dl=0

Does the diesel have better drive shafts than the petrol models seeing as it puts out a lot more torque? And if so are they interchangable?

2.4_Roar said:
Took my car to have a wheel bearing changed and there was an identical 55 plate 2.4 manual in the workshop with 94k on the clock with a snapped drive shaft.

Mine is the exact same model except two years older and with thousands more miles on the clock. Uh-oh.

www.dropbox.com/s/2z1uugdpvsif3nr/IMG_20160321_171414034.jpg?dl=0

www.dropbox.com/s/owoepv5twj31qsb/IMG_20160321_171422887.jpg?dl=0
this forum doesn't easily link to dropbox & won't embed them, so I've copied them to photobucket and embedded them from there ....click to enlarge

driveshaft_broke_2a.jpg

driveshaft_broke_2b.jpg

looks like the same ectoplasm as in the driveshaft on Steve's car :eek:

edit: and if I'm not mistaken, that is the driver's side (right-hand-drive car) with inter-shaft still attached

This is all rather familiar... Tis the season of the drive shaft failures...

Yes

I got a blueprint part and have a good indie mechanic. My drive shaft and labour came in at a little over £200.

^ stranded, and if you try to move away, the snapped end attached to the gearbox will just flail about

Thanks. Has it always been the offside shaft with the 'snappages' we've seen? I'm considering a pre-emptive swap.

At least give the shaft a thorough inspection to be on the safe side. But I expect that if the car's a 7th gen petrol, it probably has some inset of corrosion.

corrosion may be part of the issue, and, or, it might be a long-term stress fracture, caused by fatigue in one particular mode

0712coverfeat2.jpg

0712coverfeat5.jpg

ultimately the torque will break it, but the initial stress fracture may be due to an issue in one of the flexible joints

note also that the fracture may start internally and not in the outer "section" of the shaft (you can see the dual construction in the pics)