What's new

Any major N22A1 engine issues?

dandreye

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2L MT (CL7)
Hi All,

Apologies for asking something that's most likely written and re-written about throughout this forum: just got my 6th Gen Accord stolen and am looking at the 7th Gen Accord as a potential replacement, which I need asap, hence all the rush. Are there any known major issues with the N22A1 engine, be it design ones (if any) or normal wear and tear ones to expect at ~100k miles and up? Also how does it tolerate predominantly short distance trips? I've never owned a car with a diesel engine yet and am attracted to it mainly because of its much higher torque at low rpms but many say no modern diesel engine would withstand the lack of frequent long distance trips (I suppose because of the DPF).

Many thanks in anticipation!

No DPF on the n22a1

Regular oil changes with 0w30 is key

Watch out for rattling timing chain, cracked manifolds and sticking egr valves.

Unless you get heated seats, you'll be cold in winter on a short trip -they take a while to warm up ;)

F6HAD:

Thank you... so it's short distance trip friendly then?

At what sort of mileage are the first major engine works to be expected, such as turbine replacement, chain replacement etc.? I'm looking for something up to ~125k miles.

Matt:

I have nothing to warm up there anyway )) Just hope it won't be too bad with standard (non-leather) interior.

Ended up buying a nice and low mileage petrol one (CL7/K20A6/MT) as I needed a car asap and the only diesel one fitting my criteria had 4 owners already, which didn't quite tally with the stated mileage in my opinion. May still switch to a diesel one later on though, once I get more familiar with the car and make sure I want it indeed for long: it'll be much easier to hunt one now that I have a car again, and I still fancy a diesel one a bit more especially because of no DPF and so the issues accompanying it ) A taxi driver who took me to the trader said he wouldn't hesitate buying one up to 150k miles. Looks like N22A1 is a rare exception on the market to the good side.

Thanks everyone for your feedback: I'll take it all into account when/if buying a diesel one.

The K20 is a great engine mate, congrats.

F6HAD said:
No DPF on the n22a1
May I ask a little clarification on this one: do I get it right that 2003-2005 ones all came with N22A1 and so have no DPF while the 2006-2008 ones all came with N22A2 and so they do have DPF? I've seen some posts implying post-2005 i-CTDi's come with DPF if I interpret it correctly... namely this one:
http://typeaccord.co.uk/forum/topic/19161-oil-level-rising/#entry245362

Thanks in advance!

As far as I know 03-05 is pre-facelift 7th, and 06-08 is facelift 7th. Neither has DPF. The fuel filter is different, you get an extra gear and some other odds and ends.
The 8th gen from 08 onward has DPF.

7th gen is a Euro 4 car, no DPF

8th gen is euro5 and has a DPF.

Matt:
F6HAD:

Thank you... btw did all facelifted 7th ones also come with N22A1 engine (same as pre-facelifted 7th ones)? I'm unable to find the answer anywhere.

Facelift are badged as n22a1 but they have the same egr setup as n22a2 from the civic. I've always referred to facelift cars as n22a2