What's new

Any views on these mods?

gavin1977

Members
Reaction score
Car
CL9 Type S iVTEC
Hi folks,

Recently put a deposit down on a K24 Type S and want to squeeze a few more horses out of it as soon as I get it. I have always liked getting a bit more performace out of my cars so that they are a bit quicker than people expect! However, I don't want to do anything drastic as it is my daily commute and weekend family car, and considering how much I paid for the car I don't see the point in spending a fortune on it.

Ok, so after a bit of research here is what im thinking -

Either Injen intake (approx 280 quid) or K&N Typhoon (approx 170 quid) - its there likely to be much difference?

DC Sports Manifold (approx 300 quid)

Fastline 250 cell sports cat (approx 325 dollars from Heeltoe in US) - this is 60mm / 2.25 pipe diameter, will it mate ok to the 2.5 inch collector on the manifold and the std exhaust?

Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU (not sure of price) - has anyone experience of these? I have been told that Hondata don't do a K-pro for the Accord Type S. Apparently if you buy a US TSX ECU and US K-pro it can be made to work with the UKDM Type S but it sounds tricky and apparently it can throw up errors randomly on the car. Really don't fancy this option. Is it possible to just reprogramme the standard ECU?

Does anybody have any views on the likely bhp increase you could reasonably expect from this set up? I was hoping for at least 20 - 25...

Had been looking at cat-back exhausts but I think they would all increase noise too much with the possible exception of the Apexi World Sport 2. Not sure about this though as it doesn't seem to be much different to the standard one so not sure if it would have any effect on performance. Also, 700 quid for a mild steel system seems a bit steep.

Are there any other simple mods I should consider to free up a few more bhp without going hardcore (not interested in supercharging etc)?

Any views / experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

A few guys have the typhoon fitted here. They're generally pretty happy. The manifold I think is a good idea. Regards the piggyback ECU, I'm not sure. I don't see anything on their site for the 2.4. And you're right about the Hondata thing. It's a bit of a mission to get their stuff working on our 2.4. I know the K24 we get in our cars over here (in the UK) is very dependant on which year as to whether the ECU is really that simple to tinker with. My 2.4 is a 2003 and basically there's nothing I know of that can really get more out of the car in that respect.

Gunther at XO Tuning has a remap for the 2.4 but I believe it's only late 2005 models onwards. Worth emailing him perhaps with your query. Also, F6had here runs a tuning company and I believe he's cracked the facelift 2.4 and may be able to offer you something. Have a word with him. But like I said, I think it's all dependant on the age of your car as Honda used a different ECU in the earlier models.

As for your exhaust, it might be worth finding a decent custom place to make you something as opposed to buying off-the-shelf parts. Maybe while they're at it, get them to fit you a custom made pipe for your intake and effectively build you a cold air intake. I imagine it probably would be comparable in price to buying an off the shelf part and probably nice to know it's been custom made for you. Some people here have had work done by Solid Fabrications for about £400-£500 and have been very satisfied with the results.

But aside from power, what have you considered in terms of suspension and chassis? BlueGuru here has a savagely modified 2.4 I suggest you check out. Loads of chassis stiffening, coilovers and huge brakes, as well as aero things too. The 2.4 is a nice engine at stock spec and stiffening the car up and giving it a much more aggressive stance I believe will really play to its strengths. But obviously more power is always a nice thing ;) .

Anyway, welcome to TA, keep us updated, this sounds exciting and get some pics up of your ride dude.

:)

Hi folks,

Recently put a deposit down on a K24 Type S and want to squeeze a few more horses out of it as soon as I get it. I have always liked getting a bit more performace out of my cars so that they are a bit quicker than people expect! However, I don't want to do anything drastic as it is my daily commute and weekend family car, and considering how much I paid for the car I don't see the point in spending a fortune on it.

Ok, so after a bit of research here is what im thinking -

Either Injen intake (approx 280 quid) or K&N Typhoon (approx 170 quid) - its there likely to be much difference?

DC Sports Manifold (approx 300 quid)

Fastline 250 cell sports cat (approx 325 dollars from Heeltoe in US) - this is 60mm / 2.25 pipe diameter, will it mate ok to the 2.5 inch collector on the manifold and the std exhaust?

Where about arw you from mate? Ive recently bought a k24 type s and have similar mods in mind, coming from a dc5 i like my power too :)

Dastek Unichip piggyback ECU (not sure of price) - has anyone experience of these? I have been told that Hondata don't do a K-pro for the Accord Type S. Apparently if you buy a US TSX ECU and US K-pro it can be made to work with the UKDM Type S but it sounds tricky and apparently it can throw up errors randomly on the car. Really don't fancy this option. Is it possible to just reprogramme the standard ECU?

Does anybody have any views on the likely bhp increase you could reasonably expect from this set up? I was hoping for at least 20 - 25...

Had been looking at cat-back exhausts but I think they would all increase noise too much with the possible exception of the Apexi World Sport 2. Not sure about this though as it doesn't seem to be much different to the standard one so not sure if it would have any effect on performance. Also, 700 quid for a mild steel system seems a bit steep.

Are there any other simple mods I should consider to free up a few more bhp without going hardcore (not interested in supercharging etc)?

Any views / experience greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Just dropped you a message m8.

Back on topic, is it fair to say I can't run a sports cat if I can't get the car re-mapped? Don't see the point in aftermarket manifold or cat-back exhaust if I can't have a sports cat as I reckon this is where most of the gains are to be had...

Iv got a K&N typhoon kit and only run my car on 99 Ron and its amazing

What Steve (Stevearcade) says covers it pretty well.

A year ago I was told by CPL Racing (Hondata dealer in the UK) that to run Kpro on this car you need dual ECUs and a harness, total cost of which is around £1900 (incl VAT) !!

Regarding the Dastek, you would also face similar problems i.e. an extensive "homebrew" harness. If you did go down that route and succeeded, I suspect that many people on this site would be very interested (myself included).

If you read all of this thread you will find that the stock ECU cannot easily be remapped, it has to be removed to be done.

IMO the cheapest and easiest fix of torque on this engine would be to fit a supercharger from a Merc. I think it should fit in the space where the aircon compressor is (not checked). If you have aircon, remove the a/c compressor and fit the Merc "Kompressor" using the pulley from the a/c compressor. The intercooler might go in the space where the a/c condenser fits (not checked). An Eaton M62 from a Merc went on ebay the other day for only £225 . Apart from that, all you need is an intercooler and some piping and some brackets, and then an ECU remap. If you had the stock ECU remapped on-site by Gunther, a supercharger project ought to come in under £1,000.

EDIT: I just looked at the Dastek website and Honda is not listed as stock, so you'd be into homebrew installation ...Dastek list
The main problem with the K24 engine, sadly, is the ECU, and I'm not sure how much you would gain with fitting K&N filter + ported manifold + sports exhaust, without a remap anyway.

As covered, the ecu is definitely the bottle neck. But with dastek while they dont have a plug and play option for the CL0, they had a dyno print of a 2.4 Accord on their website meaning they do work with the CL9. I cant for the life of me find it again but then again it may just be a dyno from a european car as i know that they used the unichip Q+ over in europe as a mapping alternative.

The tsx ecu and kpro option is also viable but you're left with engine lights and vsa/cruise control disabled. Anojan has this set up on his car. But i know of another guy on a different accord forum who's just bought a facelift tsx ecu to get paired with hondata flashpro! Thats supposed to work with no errors at all, no engine lights, and everything else functions as normal. He'll be the first in the uk to give it a go so im excited to see how it goes.

As for intakes the injen should be a 2 piece design so you can chop and change to a short ram or a cold air to suit yourself. Not sure if the k&n's are the same though. I've got an aem short ram on mine with a cold air feed from the front bumper. Does the job and sounds amazing in vtec!

I wouldnt bother with the dc sports manifold as its only got a 2.25" collector. You really want a 2.5" collector minimum. I think thats what the comptech manifold has, but i know for sure the weapon r header has a 2.5" collector. Pair that with a 2.5" bore sports car, or decat and a 2.5" bore custom exhaust and you'll really feel how better the car pulls. Especially in 4th gear, but you're doin daft speeds by then so you gotta be very careful! You're right about the apexi, not only would it sound amazing and look great, at the end of the day its still mild steel and wont last so i wouldnt bother with that. The skunk2 system is great but proper loud, even with the exhaust bungs in. Same with the buddyclub prospec. If you want a quiet system then again a custom system could be made to suit you.

Again, bolts on add wee bits of power here and there, its when a car gets mapped that you can tweak out serious overall gains. You'll certainly feel the pull if you swap out for a larger bore exhaust, and the noise from an intake will make it sound faster too, lol.

Suspension and good brakes go a long way to making your car faster too, as you can brake later, corner faster and get back on the power sooner on corner exit!

So it all hangs on the year of your car...? Even if it's earlier than 2005 I'd still speak to Gunther at XO as he may still have something for you.

And again, where did you source that front bumper and grill from, they look really nice and unique.

So it all hangs on the year of your car...? Even if it's earlier than 2005 I'd still speak to Gunther at XO as he may still have something for you.

And again, where did you source that front bumper and grill from, they look really nice and unique.

Bit of unintentional spam but what bumper and grille?

Bit of unintentional spam but what bumper and grille?

:blush: I'm mixing up my newbies :lol: . It was another guy who recently signed up with a list of thing he planned to do and he had a really nice bumper and grill.

Thanks for the link to the ECU modifying thread. Does anyone know if XO are the only company that can do this or if it is a relatively common type of tuning? Just wondering if there is any chance of someone in NI being able to do this for my 2003 Accord.

Regarding the DC sprots manifold, if I go for one of the others with a 2.5 inch collector, will this alone signifcantly increase exhaust noise or if used with a sports cat and the std exhaust would it still sound close to stock?

Thanks all for the help/advice so far!

I have emailed Gunther at XO and he gave me a price of 399 for a K24 2003 type s accord so it can be re mapped, ECU has to be removed though. So Mods then a re map should make a hell of a difference.