What's new

Anyone ever changed a headlight bulb?

SimonG

Members
Reaction score
Car
Accord 2.2iCTDI 2004
My low beam drivers side headlight bulb doesnt work anymore. I have looked in my manual and investigated changing the bulb but it is tucked right in by the washer fluid filler spout, I have skinned my knucles trying to get my hand in there to just remove the weather cap let alone actually get access to the back of the bulbs! Does anyone have any tips on how to get in there?

I do realise it could be the fuse so will try that first but I am not normally that lucky!!

Thanks,
Simon

10mm spanner to take the water fluid spout off which will give you more room to work with....search for the HID DIY which shows how to take it off etc

Your water spout should just slide off the bracket, you should try changing a side light...lol

Side lights are easy, go through the arch liner as per the owners manual.

I have changed a side light before, it was easy once I worked out how to get those plastic clips off!
Thanks for the tips.

When you get to the back of the bulb by doing as instructed, pull the plug off the bulb, then the wire clip that holds it needs to be pushed forward and swung inboard ie towards the rad. Be careful replacing new bulb, I have a spare one in the lamp unit somewhere LOL

as above mate and just take your time and don't touch the lamp as this will rejuce the life of it

Thanks for the tips. Once I took the water filler spout off there was a bit more room and I changed it fine. It is a 12V 55W bulb (halfords code 448) that I used.
Cheers,
Simon

Thanks for the tips. Once I took the water filler spout off there was a bit more room and I changed it fine. It is a 12V 55W bulb (halfords code 448) that I used.
Cheers,
Simon
Glad your sorted mate it just takes a bit of time.Im not trying to bad mouth halfords but there not the best quality bulb as lots of members here have HIDS i would have said sick to Honda lamps but see how you go.

Glad your sorted mate it just takes a bit of time.Im not trying to bad mouth halfords but there not the best quality bulb as lots of members here have HIDS i would have said sick to Honda lamps but see how you go.

I would normally avoid halfords but I already had the bulb in my toolbox (I must have bought it for a previous car and never used it) so it was an easy solution.

I would normally avoid halfords but I already had the bulb in my toolbox (I must have bought it for a previous car and never used it) so it was an easy solution.
Hopefully it will be ok but hay it was free and now you no how to change the bulbs :lol:

I think the 55w are actually illegal for road use mate, and may possibly damage the lens.

I think the 55w are actually illegal for road use mate, and may possibly damage the lens.

That is weird as the existing bulb was 55W and it has gone through the MOT a number of times.

My workshop manual states these specs:

Headlight low beam 12 V-55 W (HB4)
12 V-35 W (HID)

I have never fitted HIDs myself but I ***ume I havent got them, I am not sure how to tell if I have them to be honest.

Simon

Simon, my apologies you are absolutely right I am confusing it with HID kits that run at 35w.

Faddy's right tho those 55w HIDs are utterly blinding especially on a non projector lense.

After a friends recomendation in his accord I changed my bulbs to Osram Nightbreaker Plus, standard 55w H1 bulbs, get on ebay for about £11 a pair. I changed all 4 and wow, obviously not as good as HID but cheap and easy, on full beam you can't look at road signs near you they are so bright and white